First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Power, torque and mpg were the biggest factors.
I’m running 39s with plans to get a set of 42s. I regeared but that’s still a lot of weight for a gas motor. The diesel motor has plenty of power to move the big wheels and I get great gas mileage considering my build.
Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Power, torque and mpg were the biggest factors.
I’m running 39s with plans to get a set of 42s. I regeared but that’s still a lot of weight for a gas motor. The diesel motor has plenty of power to move the big wheels and I get great gas mileage considering my build.
Technically, you aren't getting any gas mileage :D

Gmac03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys D
Small diesel pickup trucks from overseas are my favorite.

Toyota Hilux turbo diesel manual to be exact but this was the closest I could get.

Then the added bonus of the doors and the roof coming off sold it.

AleYeah

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Sport, 1976 VW poptop
I love my diesel and wouldn't own a gas variant of this truck. But thats due to my history with the 3.6 and my use case is much different than yours. I do a moderate amount of towing light to mid weight trailers. I also offroad regularly and keep vehicles approx 5-6 years. Based on most of your comments, I don't think the diesel would be best for you....
-Not available in a manual.
-In order to keep this vehicle a long time and keep the repair bill at bay, you'd need to find a way to disable EGR.
-Added cost up front, at the pump and in maintenance has to really be worth it for you. Thats could be quite a few pair of Merrell's per year instead.
If I were you, I'd wait to see the possible coming changes in 24, that might be the right time to jump on-board.
Solid advice, and much obliged for the thoughtful response.

Sponsored

WTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Occupation
Business owner
Easy answer for me. I love Diesel engines, especially a Turbodiesel. Smooth, seamless and abundant torque with the noises I love. As CivilJeep mentioned, a truck like this needs an engine to match the persona. For me there wasn’t even a moment’s thought about which engine mine should have. I have 1500 miles on mine and absolutely love it.

Sponsored

Smoke Machine

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I was drawn to the Gladiator BECAUSE it had a diesel option. I rented a Wrangler JL 3.6 auto Rubicon and drove it for 3-months - it was fine. However, once you drive the diesel, it drives like a real truck. The diesel engine, how it delivers power, how it sounds while doing so, and how perfectly matched it is to the ZF tranny, completely transforms the truck. I love my truck but I wouldn't own it without the diesel powertrain. Moreover, I bought the JT to modify and have fun with it. Add a Clayton 2.5 Overland + Lift, 2.5" Fox Adj. Shocks, 37's on Method wheels, and RPM's 2.5 ton steering with 2.0 Fox Adj. stabilizer, and this thing drives like a 10! The diesel makes mods easier and more fun in my opinion. The increased fuel economy is just icing on the cake.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Lol. I'm supposed to have over 500 and I'm still putting my foot through the floorboard.
Need I say more?
Yeah you do. What did you do to get 500? Also leadfoot?!

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I see this thread has been completed revitalized which is cool. Just be aware, the 3.6 is perfectly adequate for a midsize truck in 2023, 2022, 2021 and back in the COVID era of 2020 as well. These things we say are just opinions and we don’t want to offend the peasants with the pentastar who lack proper torque, power, cool noises, lack of misfires and the potential of an exploding cp4.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Installed a Tune.
Not a lead foot. I drive like Ms Daisy but live in a metropolitan area and traffic requires it on occasion.
Which tune? Does it void warranty?
Sponsored