Sponsored

Why do aftermarket wheels have to look so... aftermarket?

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Been window shopping, playing with the idea of getting 8.5 or 9 inch wide wheels so I can fit 37s. But one of the major problems I keep running into is I just don't like most aftermarket wheels. The willys wheels are probably my favorite of the stocks, with the simplicity of the mojaves being a close second.

I like the fiften52 analog hds, but they aren't the right offset I want. The method 703s are the perfect offset, and definitely less on the aftermarket looking side, but still look aftermarket a little.

I want my truck to look like it came from the factory with 37s, not like I modified it.

So that leaves me with the post title question. Why do aftermarket wheels look so decidedly aftermarket?
Sponsored

Zachattack50

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT
Occupation
Small business owner
Jeep Gladiator Why do aftermarket wheels have to look so... aftermarket? 20220326_103634

37's on factory willys wheels. Specifically why we ordered the willys package. I am running a hubcentric 1.75 spacer on it. clears at full lock and full tuck. 3" jspec lift. I run the tires at 30 psi, probably going to drop to 26 once we shake it down some.

Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD

cleatus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
computer fixie guy
I agree... i am a "stock" rim kinda guy. There are a couple i have seem on here that looked nice (more of the plain/military look)
Im not a fan of flashy type rims-- a lot of those just look weak.
each to thier own :)

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
So that leaves me with the post title question. Why do aftermarket wheels look so decidedly aftermarket?
Aftermarket wheels appeal to personalization and wanting to stand out different from the norm which is OEM stock. Like opinions, there is going to be ranges from subtle to gaudy depending on ones taste. You are just more on the conservative side towards OEM styling.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
When I decide to switch mine it will be for these or something similar. I'm a fan of steel wheels and I also don't like nothing flashy. Also like something that is easy to repair if it gets bent or dinged. You can beat out a steel wheel, alloy will just crack and is a lot harder to repair.

Jeep Gladiator Why do aftermarket wheels have to look so... aftermarket? PCW_51_GLOSSBLACK

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Look at AEV wheels
I'd seen the AEV Saltas before, and I'd put those in the same category as Method 703s. Just barely aftermarket, but still more than i'd like. Too bad cause it's the perfect offset as well

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
+1 for AEV. Love my saltas

But also, Quadratec makes oem replicas in 8.5" wide if you want a factory look. Filter Quadratec brand wheels on their site and they've got a few options
The quadratec wheels look awesome! But only 11 offset, i was really hoping for +25. Gonna have to find some customer photos to see poke amount before I'm ready to pull the trigger on something like that.

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Like opinions, there is going to be ranges from subtle to gaudy depending on ones taste. You are just more on the conservative side towards OEM styling.
I have zero problem with there being a wide range of styles to choose from. My issue is this wide range seems to range almost exclusively from "little bit aftermarket looking" to "sheesh". It's missing the part of the market for people like me apparently. Guess we're not the type to spend money on accessories.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I have zero problem with there being a wide range of styles to choose from. My issue is this wide range seems to range almost exclusively from "little bit aftermarket looking" to "sheesh". It's missing the part of the market for people like me apparently. Guess we're not the type to spend money on accessories.
If there is a middle ground to make money, it will be met. Others that mentioned the Quadratec and AEV wheels are a good starting point.

BOOM_FIST

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Tech
I was in the same boat and I’ve always loved swapping nicer factory wheels onto whatever vehicle I have. It’s my wife’s Gladiator and is 98% street driven. We went with the 20” High Altitude Wheels. Absolutely love the clean look and I will eventually up the tire size to give it more sidewall, but these tires are like brand new, so it’ll be a while.
B997C31F-8DD4-4128-8045-73F6B6691D70.jpeg

A39271C9-F1FF-4EBE-9578-9BCEE5B10F3C.jpeg
Sponsored