Sponsored

Why do owners never take doors/tops off or go off-road?

Bekah

First Name
Rebecca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Can someone please explain to me why so many people have Wranglers (and I'm sure it'll be the same with the Gladiators) that never, ever take the tops or doors off or leave the pavement? Maybe because I see so many left and right here in the DC metro area, most of them being Rubicons no less, and the biggest obstacles their vehicles ever see is accidentally tagging a curb.

Seriously, it really has me dumbfounded.

What exactly is the draw for people who have no desire to leave suburbia and urban areas to own these vehicles?

Just curious from a psychological perspective...
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Can someone please explain to me why so many people have Wranglers (and I'm sure it'll be the same with the Gladiators) that never, ever take the tops or doors off or leave the pavement? Maybe because I see so many left and right here in the DC metro area, most of them being Rubicons no less, and the biggest obstacles their vehicles ever see is accidentally tagging a curb.

What exactly is the draw for people who have no desire to leave suburbia and urban areas to own these vehicles?

They look F'n cool?

How many guys buy corvettes and never take them on a track? MOST. lol

77badriand

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2017 Jeep JK
I think it is mainly due to capitalism people buy what they want including jeeps because they want one, not just to only be jumping curbs or removing the doors etc. My wife grew up in the city and she has a JK, she has the top off daily if it allows and doors off. I grew up hunting and fishing and in the woods most of my life and i am right the opposite i hardly take my top off, if its hot i am leaving the top on and enjoying the AC especially in TX during the summer. To each their on i guess, or it could be that person doesn't have a means to remove the top by themselves or the convenience.

ksh67

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Sport S - Ordered 8/7, delivered 9/9
I'm up in Wisconsin, while I don't go "off road" as a hobby I do periodically find my self off pavement for one reason or another. I have a 4 wheel truck now and could do that no problem. Why a Gladiator instead of the standard truck? Because I like the idea of a convertible that I can drive year round, that is gonna get me through the snow in winter and I can take the top off in summer. I know of no other reason to buy a Wrangler or gladiator if you don't take the top off.. I have had 3 other jeeps in my life - 1947 CJ2, 1985 CJ7 and 2000 Sahara. I loved them - top and windshield down with no doors is the way to go (motorcycle would be good to but they have tried to kill be multiple times.), but the CJ/Wranglers just weren't practical for me, I needed hauling and towing ability. Then BLAM! Gladiator, like manna from heaven! :)

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
Posers? Napoleon complex? Small d*cks? Overpaid? I honestly have thought about it many times. Being an avid muscle car lover, and i regularly take my (over)built 4th gen camaro to the strip, and all my XJs were at rausch creek and paragon (when it was open) regularly, now i work at a place that pays most employees really well, and what do i see....swarms of nerdy engineer types with rubicons on 35s, with junk rancho or skyjacker shocks....and not a drop of mud, or the slightest bit of rock rash/scuffing on the rims or tires.

I just don't get it. Give me the extra money and let me have your rubicon so I can actually use it for what it was designed for....take your money and buy a grand cherokee. Rant off. Haha thanks for getting my feathers ruffled OP.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Posers? Napoleon complex? Small d*cks? Overpaid? I honestly have thought about it many times. Being an avid muscle car lover, and i regularly take my (over)built 4th gen camaro to the strip, and all my XJs were at rausch creek and paragon (when it was open) regularly, now i work at a place that pays most employees really well, and what do i see....swarms of nerdy engineer types with rubicons on 35s, with junk rancho or skyjacker shocks....and not a drop of mud, or the slightest bit of rock rash/scuffing on the rims or tires.

I just don't get it. Give me the extra money and let me have your rubicon so I can actually use it for what it was designed for....take your money and buy a grand cherokee. Rant off. Haha thanks for getting my feathers ruffled OP.
Look at the positive side- this creates more Rubicons in the used market available for purchase by people who will actually use them.

Lone Eagle

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Sahara, Billet Silver
Hi. I am on my 3rd Jeep. Had 2 Hummer H3s in between that. Bottom line, Jeeps are just fun to drive and very versatile. I will be buying my 4th soon, a 2020 JL and at 60 years old, just driving them is still an absolute thrill. So that is my answer. My biggest offroad ventures are Jeeping on the beach, air down to 12lbs type beaches, not just the hard sand that any car can negotiate and also an occasional woodsy two-track and of course, winter blizzards. I am done removing doors and risking breakage on hard technical offroad trails, but I have done that. I think people basically buy Jeeps because they are fun whether they go to the mall with them or take them out into the wild.

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
Why does it matter? It's their money. If it weren't for a diverse group of customers buying Wranglers then the Gladiator wouldn't exist. The sales volume generates profit and that generates R&D and new models.

Why can't people buy what they want, use it the way they prefer, and get enjoyment from it? And why do so many people get bent out of shape at what other people do? And why judge the person for not pursuing your use, or worse yet, make assumptions about them?

And this argument that it isn't being used for what it is meant for... What it's "meant for" is up to the buyer.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I do what I want to do and drive mine how I want to drive mine in the manner I so choose. If some pretentious person passes me and only sees a 2 second snapshot in time in how I am driving it and wants to make judgement, that is their problem and not mine.

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Black , 2004 LJ D60's 39.5 IRoKs AMC 401 V-8
Everyone has their own preferences... We have 3 jeeps. Wife's JKU has a hardtop that may as well be glued to the body. She loves it and she wanted a jeep. I have a TJ Rubicon with a soft top, Had this jeep for 6 or so years, only remember having the top down 2 times. Then I have an LJ with D60's and 40's with a nasty V-8. It doesn't have a top... Go figure.. Been a jeep owner my entire grown life, my dad had jeeps when we were kids. None of his jeeps had tops.
You just can't generalize a question like that, or seem to be holier than thou because no one appears to take full advantage of their jeeps. My new JTR when it arrives may never have the top off, but I can assure the jeep world it will be used to the max... And to the grocery store.....

Sponsored

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...

Well since you're thinking from a psychological perspective, I'm sure you've already developed some opinions of your own. Do tell us, I'm curious.

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
Why do people buy sports cars yet don't take them on the track? lol no where else can they get the full use of a fast car. Same with people that get 40s and a 10 inch lift but stay on the pavement.

For Jeeps, I think it's because they look cool. But maybe there's also the hope that one day they would get the chance to. Maybe they are holding on to the last of their freedom by having a vehicle that can go anywhere. Or they could be one of those "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it'' kind of people.

JeepDreams

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gobi Jeep Renegade. Priors: 2007 Rescue Green Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
This is my fourth Jeep - I've never been off road. I want to - just haven't done it YET!

My reasons for driving a Jeep have included:
Made in America.
Can't kill 'em.
Cool factor.
Flexible - top/doors on or off.
Urban 4 wheeling: curbs, medians - go where I wanna go.
Ride higher.

I'd rather have a Jeep than a Porsche (although I had a Porsche for years).

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,

POSERS?. IT'S THE SAME REASON PEOPLE WEAR HARLEY DAVIDSON CLOTHING AND DON'T RIDE ANY TYPE OF MOTORCYCLE. HD SELLS WAY MORE $$ IN CLOTHING THAN MOTORCYCLES. TO BE PART OF SOMETHING PRETTY FREAKIN' SWEET!
Sponsored