Sponsored

Why do people put square lights on JTs (or any wrangler minus the YJ)?

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I’ll preface this by saying, your Jeep, you do you, but I just don’t get it. Is it price? Availability? Are there more small square lights added than round? Totally a personal preference and I’m not hating. I just have never thought it looks right. They have round headlights and fog lights and there isn’t one square line on them minus their brick like shape.

Just curious, don’t take it too seriously if you have added square lights. It’s just a thought that’s always on my mind when I see Gladiators that I like with square lights added.
Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I was not a fan of the square light wrangler. But I have seen square lights on a vw bug too. Not my style.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
I'm with you, I much prefer round lights in the front and square out back. It just looks 'right'.

With that said, I think you see more square auxiliary lights now because most people are going with LED lights, and it is much more efficient/compact to arrange multiple LEDs in a strip or multiple rows. So, LED light manufacturers seem to make a lot of light bars and square/rectangular lights.

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
i want to see a square light Porsche 911 now.....Like maybe from superman's bizzaro world.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NC_Overland

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I'm with you, I much prefer round lights in the front and square out back. It just looks 'right'.

With that said, I think you see more square auxiliary lights now because most people are going with LED lights, and it is much more efficient/compact to arrange multiple LEDs in a strip or multiple rows. So, LED light manufacturers seem to make a lot of light bars and square/rectangular lights.
I’m not really talking about light bars, more cube lights. I never thought about square LED lights being cheaper to manufacture.

OP
OP
NC_Overland

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Why was this moved to lighting? There’s not much technical about it.

HydroWilllys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I like old school and round as well. Can’t stand all the new LED lighting. Yes, they are more efficient and bright etc, but nothing beats an old school KC daylighter that makes your alternator sing when you flip the switch. You’ll never catch me with a cube light or light bar.

Sponsored

AmosMoses01

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Technology
To answer your question, I got cubes b/c of price and availability, but eventually guess I'll end up back with round - ha! Had a set of rounds on backorder for a long time and gave up and cancelled, went with the Harbor Freight cubes. They work very well for the money. Once budget upens up, will probably go get some LED KC Slimlites for the front and move the HF cubes to the rear.

MMMII

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Redfin - Real Estate Consultant
I applaud your curiosity @NC_Overland. I also agree with your original post where you said “your Jeep, you do you” 👍.

For me, it all started when I first got my JT and wanted to break up a solid red truck with some black accents. One being a light mount for the cowl. I found that with relative ease.

Didn’t make much sense (to me anyway) to add the mount and not (my first introduction to the Jeep accessory rabbit hole):
A: add lights to the mount​
B: give my factory Aux switches a reason to exist​

Not wanting to invest too much in a lighting project before other more impactful upgrades, I found some square cowl lights on the cheep from eBay.

I recently went down the path of changing out the plastic front bumper…. Along with that (deeper down the hole I fall), decided I wanted to add a 14” light bar on the new bumper which will (I believe) tie together the boxiness(?) of the light bar, cowl lights (that I have since upgraded but are still square) and windshield from the front of the truck.

My $0.02.

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I’ll preface this by saying, your Jeep, you do you, but I just don’t get it. Is it price? Availability? Are there more small square lights added than round? Totally a personal preference and I’m not hating. I just have never thought it looks right. They have round headlights and fog lights and there isn’t one square line on them minus their brick like shape.

Just curious, don’t take it too seriously if you have added square lights. It’s just a thought that’s always on my mind when I see Gladiators that I like with square lights added.
Totally Agree. No way I was putting square lights on the front of my JT. Round KC's...old school and bad ass!!
Jeep Gladiator Why do people put square lights on JTs (or any wrangler minus the YJ)? tempImage1xJMKF
Sponsored