Sponsored

Why do power window controls on the doors?

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
I read that Jeep made the choice to move the power window controls to the center console because the doors were removable (made sense at first). Then why are the side view window controls and the power door locks on the doors?
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I read that Jeep made the choice to move the power window controls to the center console because the doors were removable (made sense at first). Then why are the side view window controls and the power door locks on the doors?
Well, the mirrors are on the door too, so if you remove the doors there are no mirrors to control. Would only matter if you took off driver door but not passenger door, which I would think is extremely rare.

And with the locks you can just use the fob.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
So you can lock the doors hanging on the wall?
:CWL: I meant whatever ones are left on (some people take front off and leave back on). Or if you want to lock the tailgate, which makes it so you can't open the under-floor cubby. Still a little silly, but somewhat useful maybe.

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
:CWL: I meant whatever ones are left on (some people take front off and leave back on). Or if you want to lock the tailgate, which makes it so you can't open the under-floor cubby. Still a little silly, but somewhat useful maybe.
Sorry to break topic but I had been trying to find a simple lockable storage option for when the Jeep was opened up and that comment had exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for that little piece of information!

Sponsored

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Of course. And also so that you can adjust your mirrors while they are hanging on your garage wall. Useful when you cant quite see yourself in them while trying to pick a piece of buffalo wing out of your teeth that you cant quite seem to get after blindly poking around your mouth trying to for half an hour. And I am NOT driving to home depot with a piece of chicken in my teeth.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Where else would they put those controls that would be better? The mirror control for the JK was on the centre, which was a bit of a nuisance to use.

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
Well, the mirrors are on the door too, so if you remove the doors there are no mirrors to control. Would only matter if you took off driver door but not passenger door, which I would think is extremely rare.

And with the locks you can just use the fob.
You can say the same thing with the window controls. When you remove the doors, there are no windows to control. ;)

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I thought the idea was more for Unlimited models? Can't they remove the front doors and still operate the rear windows?

Sponsored

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Typically, the driver's door has control of all 4 windows. If you take out the front doors only, you would not have any control over the rear windows.

Maybe that was part of the decision... (But as Shenanigans has pointed out, simplifying a removable door is probably the main reason)

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I thought the idea was more for Unlimited models? Can't they remove the front doors and still operate the rear windows?
This is why I think they are in the dash. There are alot of people that buy the Unlimited that have kids...small kids. Those people will take off the front door and leave the rear doors on. They can still open up the rear windows for the kidos.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
Probably has to do with enhancing reliability due to having less electronics/wiring in the doors.
Probably some concern for weight savings, too, when you consider the switches and the extra trim that would be added to pretty it up. The doors are heavy enough as is.

jefflilj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S color Mojito!
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Great points. I would think it has to do with unlimited versions and possibility of only taking the fronts iff and leaving the tears on and being able to control the rear windows still. Then to have commonality for the location.
As for the mirror control, pretty rare to only take the driver door off.
For the locks, the key fob could be used.
And you can use it to lock the tailgate which doesn’t allow the rear cubby to open. So it can be used as a lock box when the doors/roof is off.

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
This is why I think they are in the dash. There are alot of people that buy the Unlimited that have kids...small kids. Those people will take off the front door and leave the rear doors on. They can still open up the rear windows for the kidos.
I was just gonna post the exact same thing. This is probably 100% the reason.
Sponsored