Sponsored

Why does JT have poor throttle response?

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
Whats the actual reason the 3.6 JT has poor throttle response?
Slow throttle servo motor response ? ECU signal or processing speed?

When ESS is off the response is just too slow to manage well.
The pedal signal modifiers seem more of a work around.
Sponsored

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
The stock throttle response on the JT 3.6 is one of the worst of any car/truck I’ve experienced. The Banks Pedal Monster solved that issue 100% for me and makes the driving experience a ton better. Almost to the point where I don’t notice the weak HP figure on the 3.6.

I don’t know if these throttle controllers make a big difference on most vehicles but it sure does on the JT 3.6. You won’t regret buying one 1 iota.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
I've been driving mine conservatively for a couple of weeks now. Holding higher gears in manual mode and being easy on the pedal.
Really just experimenting to see what kind of mpg I could get by driving in "no big hurry" mode.
Yesterday I got behind one that was trying my patience and I broke out of my shell and punched it.
To be honest, the damned thing caught me a bit off guard and took off like a rocket.
I don't know, but I've heard that the system somehow learns your driving habits over time. So maybe I caught it by surprise and it was ready to give me what I've been saving up?

Anyway, my average didn't suffer much and I'm still around 19.4, which isn't bad for 2" lifted Mojave on 35's.
Overall, I've found little need to increase throttle response.. When I need it delivers all I need.

Toyfrog

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
I've been driving mine conservatively for a couple of weeks now. Holding higher gears in manual mode and being easy on the pedal.
Really just experimenting to see what kind of mpg I could get by driving in "no big hurry" mode.
Yesterday I got behind one that was trying my patience and I broke out of my shell and punched it.
To be honest, the damned thing caught me a bit off guard and took off like a rocket.
I don't know, but I've heard that the system somehow learns your driving habits over time. So maybe I caught it by surprise and it was ready to give me what I've been saving up?

Anyway, my average didn't suffer much and I'm still around 19.4, which isn't bad for 2" lifted Mojave on 35's.
Overall, I've found little need to increase throttle response.. When I need it delivers all I need.
19.4 on 35’s ? My stock height Mojave on 35’s must hate me. 🤣

OP
OP

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programer

It does ok for autos. The MT just needs faster response. Shut off ESS on gravel and let me know your thoughts. I find its like driving an early 80s turbo.

Sponsored

OP
OP

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programer
The stock throttle response on the JT 3.6 is one of the worst of any car/truck I’ve experienced. The Banks Pedal Monster solved that issue 100% for me and makes the driving experience a ton better. Almost to the point where I don’t notice the weak HP figure on the 3.6.

I don’t know if these throttle controllers make a big difference on most vehicles but it sure does on the JT 3.6. You won’t regret buying one 1 iota.
Id like to understand the system a little better and how that device alters it.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has plenty of throttle response, I don't feel it's lacking at all. I'm on 37 12.5 17 Kanati Trail Hogs and get roughly 17.2 average, have had it as high as 18.5 on a few long distance beach and mountain trips. Does plenty fine for me

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT

I drive like a granny and still get really poor mpgs cause of my short trips around town.
I was stuck at a light waiting for a left turn that wasn't getting triggered. After 2 whole light cycles, I turned right, pulled a quick u-turn and squealed the tires. I felt a little guilty. Hahaha

OP
OP

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programer
Here’s a link to it:
Pedal monster
I probably should clarify what I mean by throttle response.
Its not mash it down and see how long it takes to light up the tires.
Its response to on off on changes. The manual transmission highlites
the poor response. The engine takes a moment to drop revs when
shifting or with ESS off its hard to precisely control the spin.

The banks device alters the pedal signal although its sophistated.
I wonder if one of the diag tools would show the throttle servo signal
and response.

Sponsored

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
I probably should clarify what I mean by throttle response.
Its not mash it down and see how long it takes to light up the tires.
Its response to on off on changes. The manual transmission highlites
the poor response. The engine takes a moment to drop revs when
shifting or with ESS off its hard to precisely control the spin.

The banks device alters the pedal signal although its sophistated.
I wonder if one of the diag tools would show the throttle servo signal
and response.
I believe this is related to how Jeep has programmed the transmission as well. The Pedal Monster also completely changes the shift points on the automatic. It’ll rev higher in certain gears if you select the more aggressive settings.

OP
OP

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programer
I believe this is related to how Jeep has programmed the transmission as well. The Pedal Monster also completely changes the shift points on the automatic. It’ll rev higher in certain gears if you select the more aggressive settings.
Yeah Im really talking about the manual tranny where throttle response is more of an issue.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Since you keep mentioning that it's only an issue for manual transmissions, and bring up time between shifts, I have to ask. Are you referring to the response time for the pedal itself when you depress it? Or are you talking about the rev hang response time when you engage the clutch? Because those are two very different things.

The pedal response time is going to be the same or similar regardless of transmission. This is why you're getting responses from people running automatics and the pedal add-ons they're using to change how the pedal reacts.

The rev hang response time is what's truly a manual-only thing, and that's a common thing for all MT vehicles to have. There's a variety of reasons for it, from efficiency to longevity, but it should only be an issue if you're trying to fly through the gears like a racecar.

And lastly, when you say "ESS" I'm assuming this isn't the electronic start/stop system you're referring to. Are you talking about the "ESC" electronic stability control instead? If so, that will really only show it's face if you lose traction. It's obvious and abrupt when it engages, and a light on the dash goes on (blinks if I remember right). But when that's happening, pedal response isn't a thing anymore as it's being overridden, so I don't think that has anything to do with what you're talking about. With that off, it will respond the same as any other Gladiator, manual or automatic.

K1w1t1m

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Program Manager
The reason for the slow throttle response probably has more to do with the traditional uses of a Jeep. No one wants herky-jerky over rough terrain. For that reason I know Land Rover designed the throttle linkage to be slow reacting so when hitting a bump caused your foot to bump the throttle pedal the vehicle would react less. I suspect Jeep is the same.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
I haven't really looked into it but I'm sure you could log accelerator pedal position and throttle plate position and compare them. Like coming off the accelerator after a WOT pull and the pedal is at zero and the throttle plate is still wide open for like 1 second. The transient throttle plate response is absolutely terrible in these but I imagine it must be for a reason. I'm new to 4x4 so maybe it's like that to decrease the chance of knee-jerk throttle inputs and spinning tires? An alternative theory is that it done for fuel savings. My wife's car has an "eco" button and as far as I can tell, the only thing it does is slow down the throttle plate opening. I'm sure someone like @DAVECS1 can remap throttle or even a tuner like Livernois but I haven't looked into it at all.
Sponsored