Why Gladiator was chosen over Scrambler as JT pickup's name

1. JAY

JAY Administrator
    Staff Member

Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Short answer is: Concept + Heritage, via Autoblog

Jeep representatives explained that one of the reasons for the choice of Gladiator is because of the Jeep Gladiator concept truck from 2005. That concept led to many rumors of a Wrangler-related pickup truck, and you can see some design influence from it on the current truck. Of course the concept was just a two-door extended-cab pickup. Also, besides the concept heritage, the Gladiator name was shared with the longest-running Jeep pickup truck line, the Gladiator and J-Series.

The Jeep folks also noted that they wanted to avoid the Scrambler name because they felt the old Scrambler wasn't enough of a full-on truck, and the company wanted to emphasize that the new Gladiator is a true truck designed to be a truck. The original '80s Scrambler was effectively a stretched CJ-7, and practically called CJ-8, with a longer cargo area. It was mainly a truck because it was available with a half-cab top. But it was also available for a full-length wagon top eventually. So the Scrambler was more related to the first Wrangler Unlimited, which was a stretched two-door Wrangler, than to the new Gladiator, which has a unique frame, unique rear suspension and a separate bed and cab.

If we're being honest, we don't think the Scrambler name would have been a problem. It's clear that Jeep fans are very fond of the name, and it would fit the idea of a Wrangler truck. But we also certainly don't have a problem with the Gladiator name either. It's equally historic, and even if it wasn't, it sure sounds great, evoking toughness and capability. Perhaps if people are really bothered by the truck not being called Scrambler, Jeep can roll out a graphics package as a tribute to the old models.

2. eternus

eternus Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jody
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 JKU Anvil
    Liked:
    I love that they're talking about the philosophy behind their decisions like this. Someone posted early yesterday morning about Gladiator being a full truck and Scrambler being a Jeep with a bed... I liked their reasoning there, this just restates and solidifies that feeling.

The other interesting, though off-hand, statement was about the "why 4 door" which I'm curious if anyone asked about. I'm not seeing people ask it, but rather... MAKE A 2 DOOR! His statement was that the 4 door just confirms that this is an adventure/lifestyle vehicle which is their intent, a 2 door would be more utilitarian which is never even hinted at as their goal. The bed is for hauling toys, the towing is for toys. The folks wanting a 2 door long bed mostly seem to want it for work, I don't think Jeep will be trying to make this a work truck at any point.

Karnaj and TexTJ209 like this.
  3. ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
    Liked:
    I can't help but wish they did a grill that was more a nod to the old gladiator and distinguished the truck more from the JLU.

They can call it whatever they want but it screams "Wrangler Truck" to me.

DaveNH likes this.
  4. MTH

MTH Active Member

First Name:
    Fake Name
    Vehicle(s):
    YJ, JKUR, JK Chief
    Liked:
    Professional Wiffleball Player
    The work truck market isn't a high profit market. Not that it's a bad thing, but why compete with other trucks that can hit the work truck market with a lower price point? That said, it's a stigma that could be had that Jeep may not have wanted.

But why would a work vehicle need removable doors and top? A fold down windscreen? Versus a plain jane F150 with vinyl seats and floor and an 8' bed? The base work model Jeep would still run over $10k more.

The Ranger isn't really going to be offered in a work truck level. No need. It will be similar to the Gladiator for purpose. The Ranger starts at the same price as the F150. So if you're a company or a contractor, why would you pay more for less (Ranger)?

Funny, what's old is new again... dirtbikes? check. V6? check.

84fordranger.jpg

ThirtyOne likes this.
  5. MTH

MTH Active Member

First Name:
    Fake Name
    Vehicle(s):
    YJ, JKUR, JK Chief
    Liked:
    Professional Wiffleball Player
    Base model F150 ('Work Truck') starts at $28,500.

I wish the JT could be had that cheap. I highly doubt it with 4x4 and dana 44s standard. I'll assume the starting point for the JT will be a hair under $40k.

6. ThirtyOne

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Base JLU isn't even that cheap.

7. Armycop

Armycop Active Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle(s):
    2012 JK Wrangler
    Liked:
    Ebay decal and a hair dryer would change the name back to Scrambler anyway...lol

8. Roddy13

Roddy13 Member

Vehicle(s):
    Jeep
    Liked:
    Scrambler was a deterrent for me... sounded like scrambled eggs...

Gladiator sounds way cooler.

9. Wraith

Wraith Moderator

First Name:
    Wraith
    Vehicle(s):
    Owner of 23 Jeeps so far, 2016 GTI currently
    Liked:
    Great explanation and it makes sense once it was elaborated on. I did see in the captured build & price images posted by Mopar Insiders (here) that there are several decal packages and a "body-side retro graphic" going to be offered. Very cool!

Screenshot-221.jpg

TexTJ209 likes this.
  10. DaveNH

DaveNH Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    Hyundai Sonata
    Liked:
    Exactly.

They say the name reflects their truck heritage, and that it was designed as a truck first. But it looks like a Wrangler with a bed. Nothing wrong with that, but it somewhat undermines their argument.

If they're going to use a historic nameplate, it should at least evoke the original imo. And Allen said before that people always went nuts for the 715 style concepts.

Or they could just admit that it's about using as much common parts with the JL as possible. Allen admitted in one video that the JL rear doors were carried over, rather than squared off, for commonality reasons. I'd like the honesty of just saying it's cheaper and easier to use the JL front (save the grill).

ThirtyOne likes this.
  11. homerun

homerun Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
    Liked:
    I see both sides, but I think from FCA’s point of view “truck first” was referencing development, power train, suspension, functionality (towing/payload). Your argument is based mostly on the appearance and cosmetic items. When described like that I think both sides are correct.

DaveNH and Karnaj like this.
  12. DaveNH

DaveNH Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    Hyundai Sonata
    Liked:
    I guess my point is more:

FCA is insistent that it's not just a Wrangler with a bed, but ask the average person and what do you think they see?

It's like they have to keep telling us that it's a truck with truck capabilities, because they know what it looks like.

If it looked like the Crew Chief, it would immediately scream "TRUCK!", even if it had no better towing/payload than a JLU.

I suppose that the 715 look might be loved by enthusiasts, but FCA might view it like a 2 door or Hemi option, and not see a substantial market for the look. Meanwhile, Wranglers are loved and sell in the general public. It's less risk, especially for the average person who doesn't know of the original Gladiator.

ThirtyOne and Wraith like this.
  13. ThirtyOne

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Good point. But I would argue having the Wrangler grill undermines that point. They have to keep screaming "It's really a truck, not just a Wrangler with a bed!" because it LOOKS like a Wrangler with a bed. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. But if they gave it its own identity it would really underscore the fact that it is a different beast.

DaveNH likes this.
  14. ThirtyOne

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    You are right. if the market guys say it's either a Gladiator that looks like a Wrangler or no Gladiator, I'll take the former.

DaveNH likes this.