Sponsored

Why go slow off-roading?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
In the off-roading vids I have seen everyone goes so slow. I get you literally crawl over rocks, but why go slow over a rutted or dirt road? Buggies go fast and bounce around, why not Jeeps? Pardon my ignorance, please
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Mass is one reason. You have 4700 pounds compared to?
Structure, buggies are not made for safe highway use. Can't have a vehicle that does both 100%. To be a vehicle for road and trail, you have to give up certain things. Take that buggy on the interstate at 75-80.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fair points. I didn't think of it from that perspective. Have you (or anyone else on here) come across a street legal Jeep that could fly through the dirt roads like you would on an ATV, dirt bike, or buggy? Got the idea after re-watching Mad Max.

How fast do folks go on dirt/gravel roads with a few ruts?

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Speed is fine on a track, but on a trail or even a dirt road, what's the point? Perhaps fun, but when you're dealing with imperfect surfaces, speed introduces a lot of risk. I've watched buggy hill climbs on youtube and while they're entertaining, can't help thinking about how much they're tearing up the trail and hammering on the buggy's components, and in many cases, it looks like a slow low-range crawl might make it up the hill better than a full throttle run.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Speed is fine on a track, but on a trail or even a dirt road, what's the point? Perhaps fun, but when you're dealing with imperfect surfaces, speed introduces a lot of risk. I've watched buggy hill climbs on youtube and while they're entertaining, can't help thinking about how much they're tearing up the trail and hammering on the buggy's components, and in many cases, it looks like a slow low-range crawl might make it up the hill better than a full throttle run.
Like you said, because it might be fun. Might be a good challenge. Like mountain biking. As for risk, doesnt any off roading carry risk?

Sponsored

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
Well go fast as your wallet can afford, speed costs, the faster you go the stress on the jeep increases geometric, you will do it for a while then it will cost and keep costing because by then you will be doing catch up repair. In some cases it might be better to scrap than keep repairing. I learned the hard way, speeds costs and in some cases kills. Maybe the vehicle or a passanger, slow is safe and sure

PS the first time you pony bounce your oil pan or transmission pan on rock point you will have a clear understanding about speed.

NFRs2000NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
Fair points. I didn't think of it from that perspective. Have you (or anyone else on here) come across a street legal Jeep that could fly through the dirt roads like you would on an ATV, dirt bike, or buggy? Got the idea after re-watching Mad Max.

How fast do folks go on dirt/gravel roads with a few ruts?
You can do it, but it will cost you close to 75,000 dollars in parts to bomb through the desert. High strength axles and custom bypass full suspension system like the EVO double throw down will be required. If you did it stock, you'd make it a few miles before your axles crack in half. It's absolutely possible, just requires quite a bit of money.

gsxr310

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR & JTR
SxS and buggies also have long travel suspension

Climbhigh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydro Blue Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Arborist
A mix of both fast and slow here. Along with some damage.

Seen this on YouTube the other day.

Sponsored

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Example at 0:05 on Jeep's own commercial
Too fast. For most of us, this is doing it wrong. Jeep's commercial is just that: commercial. Marketing. Scripted, rehearsed and paid for. Not real. Gladiator isn't a buggy. If you've got the funds, go for it, absolutely!

AC_1960

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Mostly go slow for several reasons:
  • Rocky trails in the mountains prohibit speedy travel without damaging you vehicle
  • I'm doing allot of sightseeing/exploring the terrain and mine ruins along the way
  • Nice to take it easy and get away from the craziness of the paved roads/highways
  • More time spent off-road is always better in my opinion

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, there's a goal. Build a badass Jeep Gladiator that can go like in the commercial.

Seriously, in every commercial if there are no rocks involved the Jeep Gladiators are flying. It can't be that much harder on them going a bit fast. Jeep would be liable for false advertising if their vehicles couldn't stand up to the advertised performance without some clear disclaimer

Last edited:

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
Yeah but if they break it they have the pockets to make another. You spend 60k and break it, you walk out of the woods or build a shelter and call it home.

Basically it can go faster but the settings must be right (terrain, obstacles) in order to minimize damage. You can parallel park with the E-brake and speed, but you probably shouldn't...

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah but if they break it they have the pockets to make another. You spend 60k and break it, you walk out of the woods or build a shelter and call it home.

Basically it can go faster but the settings must be right (terrain, obstacles) in order to minimize damage. You can parallel park with the E-brake and speed, but you probably shouldn't...
I get that the videos are edits and they cherry pick the "best shots" of the car going fast. I just can't see this getting past their legal department without the car being able to stand up to 3yrs/36,000 miles of this being done occasionally. Well, off to email FCA, again
Sponsored