First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Data Analyst
The story of why i switched to a Gladiator (Well... still searching for the right one) and will never drive a Ford vehicle ever again.

December 2018 I bought a used 2016 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0L V8 with sport package and 302a equipment package. This truck had 12k miles on it. At that time i had been dreaming about owning an F-150 for a couple years and was so stoked to finally have it. over the next year i made it my own; Icon coilovers, fox rear shocks, camburg upper control arms, icon wheels, bfg 35” tires, etc... now it was truly my dream truck.

December of 2019 when my tuck had 24k miles on it i was driving in the rain, made a right hand turn and my power steering completely went out. Immediately after dash lights started flashing and my steering started to lock up electronically. Luckily i was only 4 turns away from a Ford dealership. I Was able to make three of the 4 turns when my steering completely locked up. I ran into the dealership as my truck was stuck in the middle of the road and after some hard manual steering wheel abuse we were able to get my truck into the dealer. After a couple days the dealership calls me to notify me that they’re not quite sure what caused the fault but the whole steering rack and pinion needs to be replaced.... and although you’re under the factory 3 year /36k mile warranty by about 12k miles, you are over by 3 month since its a 2016 so we’ll have to charge you $2100 for the repair. After pleading/fighting with the dealer, Ford Motor Co., and Ford customer service i had to pay out of pocket to get the repair completed. Ford showed absolutely no empathy to my situation and to how dangerous/tragic this “fault” could have been.

I was pissed but figured it was probably a fluke and surely would never happen again since I had a shiny brand new steering rack, right?... think again.
5,000 miles later, driving down the road with my 6 month pregnant wife and dog in the truck, we make a right hand turn and the exact same thing happens, though this time instead of completely locking up, with my power steering out my steering electronically starts pulling and turning very radically pulling the wheels from my hands. Luckily (since i had been through this before) we did not get into an accident and i was able to get control and to a parking lot safely. I got the truck towed to the same dealership and after a few days i got the same response. We don’t know what’s causing it but we need to replace your steering rack again. At least this time it was under warranty from the previous replacement. So again i re-opened my case with Ford Motor Co, and again they would do nothing for me. Not even show some compassion to the gravity of the situation. Two weeks later I get my truck back and sold it within a week.

Ford really let me down. I Loved that truck but i couldn’t trust it to keep me or my family safe and the customer service was heartbreaking. I couldn’t believe how small Ford made me feel. I Guarantee if my family and i had died in an accident from this fault Ford would have been singing a different tune.

Just thought I’d share my story and hoping Jeep will treat me like a human.
Sponsored

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on 2023 Gladiator Diesel (long story)
Occupation
Flight Dispatcher / Aircraft Maintenance Engineer /
The story of why i switched to a Gladiator (Well... still searching for the right one) and will never drive a Ford vehicle ever again.

December 2018 I bought a used 2016 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0L V8 with sport package and 302a equipment package. This truck had 12k miles on it. At that time i had been dreaming about owning an F-150 for a couple years and was so stoked to finally have it. over the next year i made it my own; Icon coilovers, fox rear shocks, camburg upper control arms, icon wheels, bfg 35” tires, etc... now it was truly my dream truck.

December of 2019 when my tuck had 24k miles on it i was driving in the rain, made a right hand turn and my power steering completely went out. Immediately after dash lights started flashing and my steering started to lock up electronically. Luckily i was only 4 turns away from a Ford dealership. I Was able to make three of the 4 turns when my steering completely locked up. I ran into the dealership as my truck was stuck in the middle of the road and after some hard manual steering wheel abuse we were able to get my truck into the dealer. After a couple days the dealership calls me to notify me that they’re not quite sure what caused the fault but the whole steering rack and pinion needs to be replaced.... and although you’re under the factory 3 year /36k mile warranty by about 12k miles, you are over by 3 month since its a 2016 so we’ll have to charge you $2100 for the repair. After pleading/fighting with the dealer, Ford Motor Co., and Ford customer service i had to pay out of pocket to get the repair completed. Ford showed absolutely no empathy to my situation and to how dangerous/tragic this “fault” could have been.

I was pissed but figured it was probably a fluke and surely would never happen again since I had a shiny brand new steering rack, right?... think again.
5,000 miles later, driving down the road with my 6 month pregnant wife and dog in the truck, we make a right hand turn and the exact same thing happens, though this time instead of completely locking up, with my power steering out my steering electronically starts pulling and turning very radically pulling the wheels from my hands. Luckily (since i had been through this before) we did not get into an accident and i was able to get control and to a parking lot safely. I got the truck towed to the same dealership and after a few days i got the same response. We don’t know what’s causing it but we need to replace your steering rack again. At least this time it was under warranty from the previous replacement. So again i re-opened my case with Ford Motor Co, and again they would do nothing for me. Not even show some compassion to the gravity of the situation. Two weeks later I get my truck back and sold it within a week.

Ford really let me down. I Loved that truck but i couldn’t trust it to keep me or my family safe and the customer service was heartbreaking. I couldn’t believe how small Ford made me feel. I Guarantee if my family and i had died in an accident from this fault Ford would have been singing a different tune.

Just thought I’d share my story and hoping Jeep will treat me like a human.
Wow. I cannot believe how different Ford of Canada and Ford of USA are! My wife who was nine(9) months pregnant was driving our 2010 F-150 and the vehicle shut off without warning, and the seat moved back (auto entry/exit). She couldn't reach the pedals and power steering pump was off so it was very difficult for her to turn. Luckily she got it off the highway and out of traffic. We had the truck towed to our Ford dealer who put us in a rental at their expense until they figured out what the problem was. My wife had siad she didn't know if she could ever trust that truck again. I received a call from Ford Canada say that they are "Buying" bac my truck and helping me with the purchase of a new 2014. So the deal was that I would finish off my payments of the 2010 (only had 1 year of payments left) and I would now own the 2014. The 2014 was a custom order to match what I had had in the 2010 except I got the twin turbo v6 as the 5.4 triton was no longer available.

Unreal how different the same company can be. Although I have read similar stories on here as well. I am getting the gladiator, not because of Ford, but because I want a smaller truck and really, the ranger vs the Gladiator...come on ... be realistic :)

Not going to lie, Ford keeps sending me better deals for a bronco and new f-150...getting pretty tempting!

OP
OP
GRAVLER

GRAVLER

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Data Analyst
Wow. I cannot believe how different Ford of Canada and Ford of USA are! My wife who was nine(9) months pregnant was driving our 2010 F-150 and the vehicle shut off without warning, and the seat moved back (auto entry/exit). She couldn't reach the pedals and power steering pump was off so it was very difficult for her to turn. Luckily she got it off the highway and out of traffic. We had the truck towed to our Ford dealer who put us in a rental at their expense until they figured out what the problem was. My wife had siad she didn't know if she could ever trust that truck again. I received a call from Ford Canada say that they are "Buying" bac my truck and helping me with the purchase of a new 2014. So the deal was that I would finish off my payments of the 2010 (only had 1 year of payments left) and I would now own the 2014. The 2014 was a custom order to match what I had had in the 2010 except I got the twin turbo v6 as the 5.4 triton was no longer available.

Unreal how different the same company can be. Although I have read similar stories on here as well. I am getting the gladiator, not because of Ford, but because I want a smaller truck and really, the ranger vs the Gladiator...come on ... be realistic :)

Not going to lie, Ford keeps sending me better deals for a bronco and new f-150...getting pretty tempting!
Wow, yea it was truly disappointing. I even went into the phone calls with Ford very calm and collected. I didn't start being a d!ck until I could tell they weren't going to do anything for me. Maybe that was my error, maybe I should have been more aggressive right off the bat, or maybe I should have kept the truck for another couple of months for the steering rack to go out a third time, and then file for lemon law. Either way, i've gotten so much more than just a truck from buying the Gladiator. Ive made so many friends and gone on some awesome adventures. Buying a jeep has changed my lifestyle completely and i'm loving it.
Sponsored