Sponsored

Why I'm picking the Gladiator.

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJR, '21 JTDR, '00 VFR800, RSV4, '11 MTS 1200
I'm new to the forum and currently looking for a JT to replace my 17 year old 204,000+ mile Nissan Xterra. I thought I might share my assessment of the Midsize truck segment and why I've decided to buy a JT.

The competitors:

Honda Ridgeline: I mean, it's a Honda. It also has best-in-class payload and good towing; unfortunately, it's lightly built and not intended for anything harder than a gravel road, so it's out. I never drove this because it was never in the running.

Ford Ranger FX4: I have a friend with a Ranger, the interior is decent on the surface and it's comfortable. The engine pulls hard and the transmission is fine. I'm not a fan of turbos since I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time and a lot of miles, it's an extra point of failure. I would prefer an understressed NA motor than a high compression small displacement motor being pushed to the limit all the time. I also have concerns about the transmission, having had problems with Ford transmissions in the past. Both the engine and transmission have been having reliability issues. I'm also not convinced the interior is going to hold up to abuse as well as my old Nissan, which after nearly 20 years of hard off road abuse and countless miles of washboard roads still is free of squeaks and rattles. Our Taurus was already rattling inside with a quarter of those miles on smooth pavement.

Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro: There are some actual problems with the Toyota, but the biggest issue is I physically don't fit in the driver's seat. Well, I can, but not comfortably and not for very long. It also has a miserable payload of only 900 lb and the frame is flexy as hell and riveted rather than welded together. It is available with a manual transmission, which is a big plus. Worst seating position in the class for me. Comes from the factory with a rear locker. Seating position aside, my main issues with the Toyota are the chassis. The back half of the truck is c-channel rather than being fully boxed like every other truck on the market; the Tacoma has notable frame flex (you can actually see it if you fully articulate the truck). I think this will be a problem down the road because the back end of the frame is riveted to the front boxed section. This will allow for play, but if (when) the sealant they goop on there breaks down, water, salt, and dirt will get in and start sanding that joint to bare metal. That will mean frame rust and eventual failure.

Nissan Frontier Pro-4X: The new Nissan Frontier has the looks. I mean, dayum it's a good looking truck. It also has the most power in the class at 310 bhp; unfortunately that sweetheart of an engine is mated to a disappointing 9-speed automatic that never seems to know where it wants to be. The manu-matic mode is more of a suggestion to the transmission that it might please consider, when convenient, swapping some cogs around. The infotainment is also frustrating and not intuitive. I've been pretty opposed to screens in my vehicles, preferring physical switches - but if I have to interact with a screen I don't want it to be infuriating. No manual option on the transmission, unfortunately. Seating position was comfortable and the seats were above average - but Nissan removed some of the height adjustment on the driver's seat, I had less thigh support than my current Nissan. Rear locker is standard. The interior quality also seems lacking, Nissan is having financial problems and I can feel it when using switches and buttons, they felt cheaper and less solid than my Xterra. They also use those printed switches where the black wears off after 30,000 miles and starts to show the base translucent white underneath.

Chevrolet Colorado ZR2: Best ride in the class, hands down. The chassis is solid, the power is there and it will easily spin the rear on dry pavement if you aren't careful with the throttle. The engine, however, is notorious for timing chain tensioner and guide issues (usually $3,000+ to repair and the problem will come back), the fancy-ass shocks are proprietary and connected to the computer, so who knows what a shock rebuild or replacement would cost and the interior quality is what I would have expected in the 1990s. The 50k truck we tried out already had switches with notable wear through the markings to the white plastic below. The back seat is nearly unusable for a human with my seat in the right position and the seating position was not comfortable. No manual, but dual lockers.

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon: Comfortable seating position and excellent seats, but the dash feels closer and higher than other trucks. The rear seat could actually fit a second Sasquatch with my driver's seat set where I liked it. The engine delivered adequate power, the Butt Dyno says it had more power than my Xterra - and it does by about 15 BHP; not a road-burner, but no slouch either. The Jeep interior was the best of the contenders with superior fit and finish (that may be a brand new sentence). All the switchgear felt solid without any wobbles, the wheel was meaty and felt very nice to hold - pretty much every "interface point" was better than the competition. The Infotainment system, a consistent sore-spot in the reviews, was intuitive, easy to navigate, and had great functionality for off road use. The Rubicon has locking front and rear diffs, and a front swaybar remote-disconnect. The ride was surprisingly good, but I can see the complaints of it being sprung too soft for load carrying and towing. Also, it's long. Like really long. Nearly full-size truck levels of "long" here and still with a 5" bed. On the up side, you can get one in a manual, although they are hard to find. Finally, the cost. Holy shit on a stick, the Gladiator is expensive - $60,000+ for a midsize truck! But hey, you can take the roof and doors off.

Why the Gladiator?

The smart money should be on the Frontier, but I got into it and felt very "meh" - just an overwhelming sense of "sameness" despite it being a new truck. The transmission just killed it for me. I hated it, even my wife in the passenger seat hated it and she got frustrated with navigating the screen almost immediately.

The Jeep is not without flaws, the long wheelbase and overall length are detriments, but I really liked being in it. I liked looking at it. Say what you will about Jeep, they know how to make emotional and fun cars. The Jeep's 8-speed automatic was the best of the ones I drove and it's a common transmission used in a ton of vehicles; but it also has a 6-speed manual option. Although the manual is maligned in the press for being a bad fit with the Pentastar 3.6, I just didn't get that impression. Maybe it's the 4.10 diff gearing in the Rubicon that made the difference, but the shifting was light, quick, and felt very nice once I got used to not having the X-terra's heavy clutch underfoot.

The Pentastar 3.6 has been criticized for cracked heads, roller bearing failures, and cooling issues. You can also wreck the oil filter housing if you're a ham-fisted ape with the socket wrench. The engine's failure rate is actually quite low, 0.5% to 1% at the peak of the cylinder head crack issues - but when you have made over 10 million of those engines, that 0.5% ends up being a higher number. From what I've read, the engine has had several revisions and retrofit roller bearings have been available for some time - which of course were also used in production to address the problem. The cracking heads doesn't seem to be an issue in later-production engines either.

The comfort, interior quality, overall design, and the emotional X-factor sold me on the Gladiator. It's a truck that feels fun above all else.

Hopefully I can post soon with a new-to-me JT Rubicon.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sweetums

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I have loved the Xterra, but she's getting old and tired to the point I can't trust her with my life in the bush anymore. Plus, we could really use a truck for camping and hauling bikes, stands, tables, tools, etc out to the racetrack every month during riding season. I'm a little tired of playing Pack The SUV Tetris.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm new to the forum and currently looking for a JT to replace my 17 year old 204,000+ mile Nissan Xterra. I thought I might share my assessment of the Midsize truck segment and why I've decided to buy a JT.

The competitors:

Honda Ridgeline: I mean, it's a Honda. It also has best-in-class payload and towing; unfortunately, it's lightly built and not intended for anything harder than a gravel road, so it's out. I never drove this because it was never in the running.

Ford Ranger FX4: I have a friend with a Ranger, the interior is decent on the surface and it's comfortable. The engine pulls hard and the transmission is fine. I'm not a fan of turbos since I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time and a lot of miles, it's an extra point of failure. I would prefer an understressed NA motor than a high compression small displacement motor being pushed to the limit all the time. I also have concerns about the transmission, having had problems with Ford transmissions in the past. Both the engine and transmission have been having reliability issues. I'm also not convinced the interior is going to hold up to abuse as well as my old Nissan, which after nearly 20 years of hard off road abuse and countless miles of washboard roads still is free of squeaks and rattles. Our Taurus was already rattling inside with a quarter of those miles on smooth pavement.

Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro: There are some actual problems with the Toyota, but the biggest issue is I physically don't fit in the driver's seat. Well, I can, but not comfortably and not for very long. It also has a miserable payload of only 900 lb and the frame is flexy as hell and riveted rather than welded together. It is available with a manual transmission, which is a big plus. Worst seating position in the class for me. Comes from the factory with a rear locker. Seating position aside, my main issues with the Toyota are the chassis. The back half of the truck is c-channel rather than being fully boxed like every other truck on the market; the Tacoma has notable frame flex (you can actually see it if you fully articulate the truck). I think this will be a problem down the road because the back end of the frame is riveted to the front boxed section. This will allow for play, but if (when) the sealant they goop on there breaks down, water, salt, and dirt will get in and start sanding that joint to bare metal. That will mean frame rust and eventual failure.

Nissan Frontier Pro-4X: The new Nissan Frontier has the looks. I mean, dayum it's a good looking truck. It also has the most power in the class at 310 bhp; unfortunately that sweetheart of an engine is mated to a disappointing 9-speed automatic that never seems to know where it wants to be. The manu-matic mode is more of a suggestion to the transmission that it might please consider, when convenient, swapping some cogs around. The infotainment is also frustrating and not intuitive. I've been pretty opposed to screens in my vehicles, preferring physical switches - but if I have to interact with a screen I don't want it to be infuriating. No manual option on the transmission, unfortunately. Seating position was comfortable and the seats were above average - but Nissan removed some of the height adjustment on the driver's seat, I had less thigh support than my current Nissan. Rear locker is standard. The interior quality also seems lacking, Nissan is having financial problems and I can feel it when using switches and buttons, they felt cheaper and less solid than my Xterra. They also use those printed switches where the black wears off after 30,000 miles and starts to show the base translucent white underneath.

Chevrolet Colorado ZR2: Best ride in the class, hands down. The chassis is solid, the power is there and it will easily spin the rear on dry pavement if you aren't careful with the throttle. The engine, however, is notorious for timing chain tensioner and guide issues (usually $3,000+ to repair and the problem will come back), the fancy-ass shocks are proprietary and connected to the computer, so who knows what a shock rebuild or replacement would cost and the interior quality is what I would have expected in the 1990s. The 50k truck we tried out already had switches with notable wear through the markings to the white plastic below. The back seat is nearly unusable for a human with my seat in the right position and the seating position was not comfortable. No manual, but dual lockers.

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon: Comfortable seating position and excellent seats, but the dash feels closer and higher than other trucks. The rear seat could actually fit a second Sasquatch with my driver's seat set where I liked it. The engine delivered adequate power, the Butt Dyno says it had more power than my Xterra - and it does by about 15 BHP; not a road-burner, but no slouch either. The Jeep interior was the best of the contenders with superior fit and finish (that may be a brand new sentence). All the switchgear felt solid without any wobbles, the wheel was meaty and felt very nice to hold - pretty much every "interface point" was better than the competition. The Infotainment system, a consistent sore-spot in the reviews, was intuitive, easy to navigate, and had great functionality for off road use. The Rubicon has locking front and rear diffs, and a front swaybar remote-disconnect. The ride was surprisingly good, but I can see the complaints of it being sprung too soft for load carrying and towing. Also, it's long. Like really long. Nearly full-size truck levels of "long" here and still with a 5" bed. On the up side, you can get one in a manual, although they are hard to find. Finally, the cost. Holy shit on a stick, the Gladiator is expensive - $60,000+ for a midsize truck! But hey, you can take the roof and doors off.

Why the Gladiator?

The smart money should be on the Frontier, but I got into it and felt very "meh" - just an overwhelming sense of "sameness" despite it being a new truck. The transmission just killed it for me. I hated it, even my wife in the passenger seat hated it and she got frustrated with navigating the screen almost immediately.

The Jeep is not without flaws, the long wheelbase and overall length are detriments, but I really liked being in it. I liked looking at it. Say what you will about Jeep, they know how to make emotional and fun cars. The Jeep's 8-speed automatic was the best of the ones I drove and it's a common transmission used in a ton of vehicles; but it also has a 6-speed manual option. Although the manual is maligned in the press for being a bad fit with the Pentastar 3.6, I just didn't get that impression. Maybe it's the 4.10 diff gearing in the Rubicon that made the difference, but the shifting was light, quick, and felt very nice once I got used to not having the X-terra's heavy clutch underfoot.

The Pentastar 3.6 has been criticized for cracked heads, roller bearing failures, and cooling issues. You can also wreck the oil filter housing if you're a ham-fisted ape with the socket wrench. The engine's failure rate is actually quite low, 0.5% to 1% at the peak of the cylinder head crack issues - but when you have made over 10 million of those engines, that 0.5% ends up being a higher number. From what I've read, the engine has had several revisions and retrofit roller bearings have been available for some time - which of course were also used in production to address the problem. The cracking heads doesn't seem to be an issue in later-production engines either.

The comfort, interior quality, overall design, and the emotional X-factor sold me on the Gladiator. It's a truck that feels fun above all else.

Hopefully I can post soon with a new-to-me JT Rubicon.
You did your research, and wonā€™t be disappointed. Iā€™ve had lots of completely different vehicles, and my JT Rubicon wins by a landslide. Itā€™s so good my young kids are potentially excited for when I die, since they then get it. :)

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
Great write-up. I agree with what you said about the JT. Like any other vehicle it has issues, and it does some things better, and some things worse than other vehicles. However, I always choose the JT when I have to go out instead of my wife's new Acura MDX which is totally boring.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Great write-up. I agree with what you said about the JT. Like any other vehicle it has issues, and it does some things better, and some things worse than other vehicles. However, I always choose the JT when I have to go out instead of my wife's new Acura MDX which is totally boring.
Yep. My wifeā€™s Volvo has over 400hp and drives like a race car with amazing mpg. But I still grab the Jeep keys, even if it makes zero sense.

wildtaco

First Name
Karol
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
23ā€™ Diesel Rubicon Sarge Green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Honda Ridgeline: I mean, it's a Honda. It also has best-in-class payload and towing;
Best-in-class towing? That can't be right.

Great write up. Love my Gladiator

OP
OP
Sweetums

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Best-in-class towing? That can't be right.

Great write up. Love my Gladiator
The tow capacity is 5,000# regardless of trim level, with most published tow capacities the manufacturer is using a stripped down 2WD base model to maximize the measurement. I also didn't take diesel options into account to compare apples to apples (and a diesel isn't in the cards for me). Once you look at the more off-road oriented trims the tow and payload ratings drop.

Numbers may have changed with some of the recent refreshes of some trucks, like the Ranger, but I believe the off-road focused Tremor has a lower tow rating than their base-model work truck. Finding the tow and payload numbers for the higher (heavier) trims can be tough, manufacturers like to post the "Up to XXXXX pounds of towing (when properly equipped)*" but not the capacities of the more expensive models, which are often less competitive.

wildtaco

First Name
Karol
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
23ā€™ Diesel Rubicon Sarge Green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
The tow capacity is 5,000# regardless of trim level, with most published tow capacities the manufacturer is using a stripped down 2WD base model to maximize the measurement. I also didn't take diesel options into account to compare apples to apples (and a diesel isn't in the cards for me). Once you look at the more off-road oriented trims the tow and payload ratings drop.

Numbers may have changed with some of the recent refreshes of some trucks, like the Ranger, but I believe the off-road focused Tremor has a lower tow rating than their base-model work truck. Finding the tow and payload numbers for the higher (heavier) trims can be tough, manufacturers like to post the "Up to XXXXX pounds of towing (when properly equipped)*" but not the capacities of the more expensive models, which are often less competitive.
I might be wrong but I believe the Gladiator's lowest towing capacity rating is the diesel Rubicon at 6,000lbs.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Numbers may have changed with some of the recent refreshes of some trucks, like the Ranger, but I believe the off-road focused Tremor has a lower tow rating than their base-model work truck.
If you get a manual gladiator, the tow rating goes way down. The automatic rubicon is rated at 7,000. I think all manuals are 4,500. So if you plan to tow, Iā€™d skip the manual.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I might be wrong but I believe the Gladiator's lowest towing capacity rating is the diesel Rubicon at 6,000lbs.
All manuals are lower. Several trim options are at 6k, even with the automatic.

OP
OP
Sweetums

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you get a manual gladiator, the tow rating goes way down. The automatic rubicon is rated at 7,000. I think all manuals are 4,500. So if you plan to tow, Iā€™d skip the manual.
It's a trade-off, but I'm towing well under 4,500# - just a light 3-rail motorcycle trailer with either two track bikes or a Multistrada 1200 and KTM 890R. The ZR8 is the least-bad automatic by a mile, but this is probably my last chance to buy a manual transmission before every vehicle is electrified and manual transmissions become relics of the past. I also know they aren't the best for off road driving, but I still prefer it.

If I was going to be pushing the limit of the 4,500# I would bite the bullet and go with the automatic just so I would be understressing the power train.

I edited my original post to clarify the difference between the towing and payload ratings.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It's a trade-off, but I'm towing well under 4,500# - just a light 3-rail motorcycle trailer with either two track bikes or a Multistrada 1200 and KTM 890R. The ZR8 is the least-bad automatic by a mile, but this is probably my last chance to buy a manual transmission before every vehicle is electrified and manual transmissions become relics of the past. I also know they aren't the best for off road driving, but I still prefer it.

If I was going to be pushing the limit of the 4,500# I would bite the bullet and go with the automatic just so I would be understressing the power train.
Is the 4H Auto transfer case available with the manual? I donā€™t know, but that transfer case is worth its weight in gold in my opinion.

loganjeeps

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon, 96 Chevy 3500, 89 XJ (project)
Go for the manual, they probably won't offer them much longer. One of the main reasons I got a brand new one. There are always nuances with any vehicle you pick but I suspect you will be happy with the JT based on your diligence.

OP
OP
Sweetums

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is the 4H Auto transfer case available with the manual? I donā€™t know, but that transfer case is worth its weight in gold in my opinion.
I think the Rubicon has a different t-case than the other models, giving it 4:1 reduction. I'm not sure on the specific t-case model designation, I haven't made it that far down the rabbit hole yet.

We are also building an LJ Rubicon right now that was abused/neglected by previous owners, so my attention is slightly split between Jeeps.
Sponsored