Sponsored

Why not buy a Centerforce dual friction clutch?

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator SportS, manual, soft top, black
I feel the weakest point on my JT is the clutch. Not getting into the recalls blah blah blah, but that seems to be my limiting factor for better towing, off road, etc. Someone, help me understand why not get the Centerforce dual friction upgrade? Any real world experiences out there to share?

I haven't had an issue with the stock unit. This just seems like a significant improvement for a reasonable cost. Do I wait and see if Jeep does anything more than a software update? (Of which I'm dubious)

I'm running a sport s with a mopar lift BTW
Sponsored

OP
OP

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bump?

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
I am getting my JTR 6spd delivered in a few weeks. My plan is to drive it until there are issues and then go this route. I'm hoping that's a few years away but once the warrenty is up, i def plan on some forced induction and to do the clutch at the same time.

OP
OP

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am getting my JTR 6spd delivered in a few weeks. My plan is to drive it until there are issues and then go this route. I'm hoping that's a few years away but once the warrenty is up, i def plan on some forced induction and to do the clutch at the same time.
Congrats on the new Rubi! I may do something like that as well. Really hoping to find some folks who've done the swap and see how it's working for them.

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Congrats on the new Rubi! I may do something like that as well. Really hoping to find some folks who've done the swap and see how it's working for them.
For sure. Please post back here if you find anything and I’ll do the same.

Sponsored

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
Have you ever had a stage II clutch before? Do you drive in stop and go traffic or around town with stop & go?

A stage 2 clutch is stiff. You will notice the difference in clutch force. Trust me, in stop and go, you will feel a stage 2 clutch.

if you answered yes to stop and go you might consider the smaller brother, the centerforce II. Softer clutch feel rated to 485HP. After talking with them, this was the clutch I chose. Mine gets installed tomorrow. I will let you guys know what I think of my decision after I have time to drive it some this weekend.

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Have you ever had a stage II clutch before? Do you drive in stop and go traffic or around town with stop & go?

A stage 2 clutch is stiff. You will notice the difference in clutch force. Trust me, in stop and go, you will feel a stage 2 clutch.

if you answered yes to stop and go you might consider the smaller brother, the centerforce II. Softer clutch feel rated to 485HP. After talking with them, this was the clutch I chose. Mine gets installed tomorrow. I will let you guys know what I think of my decision after I have time to drive it some this weekend.
I have a stage II in my 335i that’s fbo and pushing 550hp. My left leg is strong but that’s a good point.

OP
OP

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tha

Thanks pal! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Not in stop and go traffic much but that is very helpful context. Sounds like that might be the route to go.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Design
Tha

Thanks pal! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Not in stop and go traffic much but that is very helpful context. Sounds like that might be the route to go.
OK, so no love here.

The Centerforce weighted flywheel did not fit. I am not sure if it is a change in spec, or variance in manufacturing, but the center bore of the flywheel is 0.2MM to small and will not mate up to the vehicle.

The owner of my shop talked to Centerforce about the issue, after verifying all of his measurements their answer is to send the clutch back, they do not have a clutch to fit the vehicle. Evidently, they assumed the specs were the same 2020 to 2021 like the rest of us did. My guess is the specs are unchanged. I am probably dealing with manufacturing variance from FCA.

Long story short, we are going to have a local machine shop expand that bore the 0.2MM to install the flywheel. I won't get my Gladiator back on the road until mid next week. I will let you know how this works out.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, so no love here.

The Centerforce weighted flywheel did not fit. I am not sure if it is a change in spec, or variance in manufacturing, but the center bore of the flywheel is 0.2MM to small and will not mate up to the vehicle.

The owner of my shop talked to Centerforce about the issue, after verifying all of his measurements their answer is to send the clutch back, they do not have a clutch to fit the vehicle. Evidently, they assumed the specs were the same 2020 to 2021 like the rest of us did. My guess is the specs are unchanged. I am probably dealing with manufacturing variance from FCA.

Long story short, we are going to have a local machine shop expand that bore the 0.2MM to install the flywheel. I won't get my Gladiator back on the road until mid next week. I will let you know how this works out.

DANG! That sucks man. Appreciate you keeping us updated though! Hope they get ya on the road soon!

Sponsored

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Design
DANG! That sucks man. Appreciate you keeping us updated though! Hope they get ya on the road soon!
It is alive!

I am very happy with the final results.

Driving this doesn't require me to think anymore. Muscle memory works with this clutch! It has feel, the engage point is near the bottom of the throw, not the top.

WARNINING!!!
Anyone buying a centerforce clutch for our vehicles may run into the same problem I did. The new flywheel didn't fit the crankshaft. Per the spec Centerforce was provided by FCA, the crankshaft diameter should never have been the size of mine. My crankshaft is 1.1MM larger in diameter than FCA had as the max diameter.

The shop I used had to send the flywheel off to a machine shop to get the center bored out 0.2mm. A plus for me is there is absolutely zero slop in the fit on my crank. A negative is I probably just voided the warranty on the clutch. I am guessing they would never be able to tell, except that we went to them for the WTF moment when it didn't fit.

One other Note:
For months I have been complaining about the lack of power. There is more power than I knew. My old clutch may have been slipping under heavy acceleration. Even though my vehicle was purchased after the first clutch recall, I should have had the dealership check it. There is a noticeable difference in the transfer of power to the transmission. I believe my clutch was never fully disengaged. That would explain why it was always hot when I came off the freeway.

OP
OP

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is alive!

I am very happy with the final results.

Driving this doesn't require me to think anymore. Muscle memory works with this clutch! It has feel, the engage point is near the bottom of the throw, not the top.

WARNINING!!!
Anyone buying a centerforce clutch for our vehicles may run into the same problem I did. The new flywheel didn't fit the crankshaft. Per the spec Centerforce was provided by FCA, the crankshaft diameter should never have been the size of mine. My crankshaft is 1.1MM larger in diameter than FCA had as the max diameter.

The shop I used had to send the flywheel off to a machine shop to get the center bored out 0.2mm. A plus for me is there is absolutely zero slop in the fit on my crank. A negative is I probably just voided the warranty on the clutch. I am guessing they would never be able to tell, except that we went to them for the WTF moment when it didn't fit.

One other Note:
For months I have been complaining about the lack of power. There is more power than I knew. My old clutch may have been slipping under heavy acceleration. Even though my vehicle was purchased after the first clutch recall, I should have had the dealership check it. There is a noticeable difference in the transfer of power to the transmission. I believe my clutch was never fully disengaged. That would explain why it was always hot when I came off the freeway.
This is great to hear! I had the slightest notion I'd try this in my buddy's well equipped garage but now there is no way. If/when I go this route I will have a professional shop do it. Sucks you had to go through that to get there but sounds like the driving experience is great! Cheers!

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Design
This is great to hear! I had the slightest notion I'd try this in my buddy's well equipped garage but now there is no way. If/when I go this route I will have a professional shop do it. Sucks you had to go through that to get there but sounds like the driving experience is great! Cheers!
These have been installed in JLs so you never know, you could end up with a straight install. Luckily for me Chi (the shop owner) is a top level mechanic that has done tuners and high dollar race stuff for years.

OP
OP

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These have been installed in JLs so you never know, you could end up with a straight install. Luckily for me Chi (the shop owner) is a top level mechanic that has done tuners and high dollar race stuff for years.
Hey buddy. How's it been going? Still lovin life with the new clutch?😃

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Design
Hey buddy. How's it been going? Still lovin life with the new clutch?😃
Yes, I absolutely love this vehicle with the new clutch. It has jumped up to my #2 favorite vehicle I have ever owned. It really does resolve so many of the issues with our transmission.
Sponsored