First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Seems like a massive swing in price to sleep five feet higher, but I’ve also never used one before. I’ve typically just grabbed my tent and tossed it down on the ground and went. Having quick versatility to use the truck as a truck has its benefits. Camp on the weekend and grab some lumber on Monday without taking down the whole system.

Curious why people choose a RTT over a typical ground tent? Is it simplicity? An extra layer of security? Is it cool factor? What’s best for you? Certainly not knocking it; I wouldn’t mind having one for ease at the campsite. Just need to justify the additional cost of a more expensive tent as well as the additional cost of the infrastructure needed to have the tent.
Sponsored

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
i think we have to go RTT, my wife doesn't like sleeping on the ground. we can sleep in the bed, but we would have to clear the whole bed out. i'm getting a diamondback...as soon as i get an extra two grand for the HD and will mount a RTT on top of it with racks. but the RTTs are so damn pricey too. maybe we'll get another tent to store our stuff and sleep on the bed or get some raised bed things to sleep in a tent above ground.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
My wife thinks bears can’t climb and she’s safer up high. That said, RTTs are more convenient if you move regularly and don’t plan on setting base camp and then using your truck to explore locally. If you are more the type who likes to set up in one place and then make day excursions, they are not the best answer. RTT offer better security as you take your stuff with you, tend to be faster to set up/break down, and are easier to hard wire power for lighting and accessories. However, they are a pain if you have to pee in the middle of the night and you must find a level parking spot or what seems like a minor annoyance when you go to bed can become a major aggravation in the middle of the night as the lean becomes mean!

Pick your poison and commit!

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
i think we have to go RTT, my wife doesn't like sleeping on the ground. we can sleep in the bed, but we would have to clear the whole bed out. i'm getting a diamondback...as soon as i get an extra two grand for the HD and will mount a RTT on top of it with racks. but the RTTs are so damn pricey too. maybe we'll get another tent to store our stuff and sleep on the bed or get some raised bed things to sleep in a tent above ground.
I like the idea of Ace Engineering’s Upper Decker (like the name even more :CWL: ). I think they’re about $800 and can be configured for a RTT. Similar to the Diamondback, but with a railing to cage in things to an extent. I also like that it would keep the RTT below the cab line.

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
My wife thinks bears can’t climb and she’s safer up high. That said, RTTs are more convenient if you move regularly and don’t plan on setting base camp and then using your truck to explore locally. If you are more the type who likes to set up in one place and then make day excursions, they are not the best answer. RTT offer better security as you take your stuff with you, tend to be faster to set up/break down, and are easier to hard wire power for lighting and accessories. However, they are a pain if you have to pee in the middle of the night and you must find a level parking spot or what seems like a minor annoyance when you go to bed can become a major aggravation in the middle of the night as the lean becomes mean!

Pick your poison and commit!
Being off the ground will be a selling point for my wife. It’s psychological, but not being on the ground next to four or more legged friends will make her feel better I’m sure. Glamping is the only way I’m getting her to join on trips, but dang those tents are expensive! I mean I could see like $800 (?), but why are they triple or more?

A plus for me is stuff security. I just don’t trust folks unfortunately. I’d be constantly thinking about base camp while we go on an excursion if I left the ground tent behind, so honestly, I’d pack it up regardless. So a RTT is ideal as it forces me to pack instead of being lazy and leaving the base camp behind. Dat price doe!!

Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Performance Coach
Yeah, the prices are extreme, particularly for a hard shell which is the only way to go in my opinion. To be clear, I spend a lot more time on the highway getting to my off road adventure than on the off road adventure. Also, the set up/break down time difference between soft shell and hard shell is significant. I spent over $2k on my last tent (yes, glamping is also the only way I can have someone warm and soft in the tent with me). By the way, did you know that a 2000w inverter powered by a battery charged by a solar cell will run a blow dryer long enough to dry my wife’s long, thick mane?! Why, yes it will!

Here is the hair in question standing between two of our good friends from San Antonio.

21AD1C4C-72FB-4AD3-81CE-FCBD9F6053C1.jpeg

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Performance Coach
I also hear you on the trust issue. I lost a solar array and controller about ten years ago when I left it out to charge the battery pack while on a two hour hike. That really pissed me off and ruined my weekend as every time I saw another person I obsessed with trying to determine if they were the thief. I’ve mellowed a bit since then.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
@Factoid hit some good points. Here are a few more:
  • Wet, muddy, rooted or rocky ground. There are ground tarps/footprints that help, but you still need to find (or make) a clear area on the ground to set up a traditional tent. Not an issue in some areas or in established campsites, but that luxury isn’t always available (or desirable, as those ares are usually busier).
  • A comfortable mattress. Sure, you’ll have room to carry a cushy air mattress in a JT, but it is nice to have a proper foam mattress. A quality RTT will have a quality mattress.
  • Better quality canvas. Quality RTTs have fabric that is thicker and less likely to flap in the wind. They are usually more waterproof and have less condensation issues. You can get a similar quality ground tent, but they are pricey too.
  • Lighting and power. Some RTTs have, or have the ability to add, interior lighting and charging ports.
  • Some RTTs allow you to leave bedding inside when closed, essentially adding storage for bulky bedding. Sleeping with a comforter/goose down duvet rather than a sleeping bag is pure luxury.
  • Less set up and break down time is nice, especially in the rain (I live in a temperate rainforest).
I get the appeal (and benefits of leaving camp set up to explore), but most of my trips are A to B to C to D (etc.) and back home to A. I don’t like leaving gear behind in a campsite anyways; I’d spend more time worrying about it rather than enjoying exploring.

Many people are perfectly happy or prefer ground tents. They certainly are more accessible for people to use and allow them to get out and camp sooner (and with less packing/set up time before leaving home; throw in your gear and go), and you don’t NEED a RTT to enjoy the outdoors (nor do you need much of the other “overlanding” gear to do so). However, as I get older I find sleeping on the ground isn’t as much fun (aches and pains wise) and anything to make it more comfortable will make it more enjoyable and keep me getting out into the woods, which is great for my own mental health.

A high-quality tent is definitely a major investment, but if you have the means and would use it enough to justify the cost (only you can make that determination), then it is a worthwhile expense, IMHO.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
Why not buy one that is 800 instead of one of the overly marked up ones?

I paid 500 for mine at a scratch and dent sale 6 years ago. I know of some very nice ones not scratch and dent for under 900.

https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/18019933-ovs-tmbk-3-person-roof-top-tent-with-green-rain-fly/
I did a review of their awning and they sent me a 10% off code if you wanna give it a go.

The quality of the awning is too notch and I also have a tent on order too.
You have my attention. We’re in the middle of closing on a house, so spending is on a freeze. But I’m hoping to get moving on some gear soon. I’ll keep it in mind, thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
Why not buy one that is 800 instead of one of the overly marked up ones?

I paid 500 for mine at a scratch and dent sale 6 years ago. I know of some very nice ones not scratch and dent for under 900.

https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/18019933-ovs-tmbk-3-person-roof-top-tent-with-green-rain-fly/
I did a review of their awning and they sent me a 10% off code if you wanna give it a go.

The quality of the awning is too notch and I also have a tent on order too.
Make sure to give your remarks (or video) on the tent. It really seems like a good deal and seems to be a more sensible price. I have to wonder why it is so much cheaper than the rest, but I've also thought the rest were too expensive to begin with.

Their tent + the awning sounds like a good get at a more reasonable price.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Make sure to give your remarks (or video) on the tent. It really seems like a good deal and seems to be a more sensible price. I have to wonder why it is so much cheaper than the rest, but I've also thought the rest were too expensive to begin with.

Their tent + the awning sounds like a good get at a more reasonable price.
The one I have on order is still 60ish days out.
It's the hard shell one that looks similar to the Ikamper. actually working with them on a couple of the specs before they start mass production. They are getting ready to prototype it soon then I'll get the first production model.

As far as price I can only Hazzard a wuess as to their prices. They got a better deal thru the MFG in China or are not marking up as much as other importers. In a saturated market the only real quick way to make a name for yourself is quality at a better price. Maybe they are running slim margins till they move more volume. I wouldn't be shocked to see a price increase at some point.

The TJM I have is only 900 new these days and this one is basically the same. They are all very similar with fabric being the cheif difference. I really like the fabric they used in my awning and from what I've seen it's the same stuff. If I wasn't waiting on the hard side I'd have grabbed the 4 person soft cover one. My TJM is a little tight for 2 adults and 2 kids

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
The one I have on order is still 60ish days out.
It's the hard shell one that looks similar to the Ikamper. actually working with them on a couple of the specs before they start mass production. They are getting ready to prototype it soon then I'll get the first production model.
They look like nice tents, from what I can tell from their website. If you are working with them, could you ask them to provide more information with respect to the open and closed dimensions? When you click on "Information", I think those are closed dimensions, but I can't say for sure they aren't the shipping dimensions...

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
I will be a bit of a contrarian, but I prefer ground tents. This one is excellent, and has served me well in the past and will be used for the JT as well.

Why I stick with ground tent
1) I only use it at most 20 nights/year, and really don't want to screw with mounting/dismounting it
2) MPGs on long trips
3) I found that sometimes there was a REALLY nice/cool site that was just off the path where I could get the JK, not an issue with a ground tent.
4) The cost of this, plus a killer air mattress with foam topper is still less than half even a cheap RTT.
5) Don't have to worry about trail damage, if the worst happens and the truck is messed up I still have a place to sleep :CWL:

https://www.amazon.com/Gazelle-2227...ds=easy+up+tent+gazelle&qid=1580838880&sr=8-6

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
I will be a bit of a contrarian, but I prefer ground tents. This one is excellent, and has served me well in the past and will be used for the JT as well.

Why I stick with ground tent
1) I only use it at most 20 nights/year, and really don't want to screw with mounting/dismounting it
2) MPGs on long trips
3) I found that sometimes there was a REALLY nice/cool site that was just off the path where I could get the JK, not an issue with a ground tent.
4) The cost of this, plus a killer air mattress with foam topper is still less than half even a cheap RTT.
5) Don't have to worry about trail damage, if the worst happens and the truck is messed up I still have a place to sleep :CWL:

https://www.amazon.com/Gazelle-2227...ds=easy+up+tent+gazelle&qid=1580838880&sr=8-6
I'm with you on this one too. I camp only a dozen or so nights a year, and having a full-time tent on my vehicle does not sound appealing. Climbing up and down a ladder won't work for me either after a while. I see falling off it at some point. lol

I also got a cot and some foam last year and it really improves sleeping on/over rocky or lumpy ground. I also like a tall tent I can actually stand in while getting dressed. I'm getting too old to shimmy into my clothes while in a regular tent. I want to get one of those Gazelles too. Will cut tent set-up by a several minutes.
Sponsored