Sponsored

Why Selec-Trac in the 392 and not the EcoDiesel?

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
On July 3 when the order books opened for the Ecodiesel, I saw with glee that 2021 was also bringing a Selec-Trac option to the Gladiator, but as I delved into the details, I was disappointed to see that it was not available with the Ecodiesel. Discussion here at the time suggested the reason was that the Selec-Trac transfer case could not handle the torque of the diesel. Yet, today I saw that the 392 Wrangler Launch Edition will be equipped with Selec-Trac. It is also a powerful, torquey motor. Does anybody who knows more about gearboxes than I do have an explanation? Might we see a Selec-Trac diesel in 2022? Having had a Selec-Trac Cherokee in 1984 (launch year for that model), I like having that little bit of extra traction in those situations where you need it, but cannot anticipate that you will need it, like intermittent slick spots.
Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
This is relevant to my interests. Are the torque curves that much different between the two motors - like does the diesel just punch a little harder? IDK.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
My guess is the transfer case in the 392 is not the same as the JL and JT with select trac, if that that could be added tow rating of the JT
Sponsored