Sponsored

Wider wheel on same tires used on a narrower wheel??

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
So wanted to get a few opinions. I'm not sure I'm going to go this route, but I'd like to know in case I do.

So I currently have Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT Tires in 295/70/R18 (35" equivalent) on the stock Overland wheel which is an 18X7 or possibly 18X7.5 wheel(if someone can confirm it's width. I know its definitely not larger than 7.5 at most, but think it's 7). In any case, I upgraded from the rental car looking Bridgestone tires that came stock on the Overland. I wanted a bigger tire but I couldn't really justify buying new wheels (at least early on) since I actually think the Overland wheel is the best looking "stock" wheel of any trim. I even went as far as buying a 5th Overland wheel and have a 5th tire for my spare to knock out a 5-tire rotation.

However, now that it's been a little bit and I've knocked out other more important mods, I'm contemplating maybe finally upgrading to aftermarket wheels. So my issue or concern is, the tires I have being 18 inch, are in very good shape and I'd rather not buy new tires right now. Hell, I haven't even been due to rotate them once yet (coming up soon.) So because of that I'd like to maybe stay with an 18inch wheel. I don't opposed 17s but I do like 18s anyways. So lets say I find an 18inch aftermarket wheel I like (been researching a few) in let's say an 18x8 or maybe 18x9 at widest.......

Would I be able to possibly keep the same tires and get them mounted on the wider wheel without any issues? The 295/70 were one of two recommendations early on when I bought tires since the Overland wheel is so narrow, I was limited.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sarge502

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Awesome, so generally you can go wider than recommended spec? I may be able to find an 18x8.5 but I see more options in 18X9 so if so that'd be great.
The acceptable rim for that tire is 7.5”-10” according to the link posted above so anything in that range is fine.

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Appreciate the link. Very helpful.

Now if I can just decide a decent negative offset range to stay in for limited poke.
You want positive offset around +25 if you want minimal tire extending beyond the fender.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
You're sitting at +44 right now. If I remember correctly you can go to either +18 or +12 and be minimal. I think the +25 mentioned above will have you right at flush.

OP
OP
Sarge502

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
You want positive offset around +25 if you want minimal tire extending beyond the fender.
I always thought positive offset pushed the wheel inside the wheel well. Negative did the opposite.

OP
OP
Sarge502

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
You're sitting at +44 right now. If I remember correctly you can go to either +18 or +12 and be minimal. I think the +25 mentioned above will have you right at flush.
I’ve been eyeballing some 18inch KMCs with +18 offset and figured they’d tuck in which I didn’t want. I don’t want right at flush though. I like a little bit of poke. Currently I’ve got 1.75 teraflex spacers for my stock wheels and love that amount but adding new wheels Ill more than likely get rid of the spacers if the offset is right

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always thought positive offset pushed the wheel inside the wheel well. Negative did the opposite.
That is correct, the stock wheels are +44.
A good example of of a wider wheel that doesn’t extend beyond the fenders is AEV wheels, they are 17x8.5 +25 offset

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sarge502

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
That is correct, the stock wheels are +44.
A good example of of a wider wheel that doesn’t extend beyond the fenders is AEV wheels, they are 17x8.5 +25 offset

Ok. Well I do want them past the fenders just not a lot. Honestly I’d like them a lot like my current set up (above) obviously just without spacers after adding the aftermarket ones.

I've been eyeballing these KMC's which are 18X8.5 and come in either a +18mm or 0 offset. So based off what you guys are saying, I could keep my current tires, go with a +18 offset with these wheels for example and still have slight poke. I think this may be the direction I take now.

Appreciate the help. I've never been too knowledgeable with offsets, backspacing, etc. I know what they are but just never clicks when comparing wheel widths etc.

Jeep Gladiator Wider wheel on same tires used on a narrower wheel?? 4AEF0638-1CED-4E28-9577-6CDF69D3480E

Last edited:

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
To get the same effect without spacers, you want 0 offset.

OP
OP
Sarge502

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
To get the same effect without spacers, you want 0 offset.
So not the +18? Ahh I guess at 0 offset would normally keep them even with the fender. However since I'd be going from a roughly 18X7 or 18X7.5 (whichever width the overland wheel is) to an 18X8.5....that difference in width would be the amount of poke, correct?

I think I understand now. I'm probably going with those KMC Dirty Harrys though.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
So not the +18? Ahh I guess at 0 offset would normally keep them even with the fender. However since I'd be going from a roughly 18X7 or 18X7.5 (whichever width the overland wheel is) to an 18X8.5....that difference in width would be the amount of poke, correct?

I think I understand now. I'm probably going with those KMC Dirty Harrys though.
Your 1.75" spacers equals 44 mm, so you're at 0 right now. So to maintain that without spacers you need 0 offset wheels. Will keep your wheel and tire combo basically the same.
Will be a little different depending on the width of wheel you go with.
Sponsored