Wilco Offroad Vertical Tailgate Mount

ZroCool

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Is anyone using the Wilco Offroad Vertical Tailgate Mount? If so, what's your experience with it? Does it rattle? How's the build quality? Just looking for options....

Wilco Vertical Mount.jpg

Wilco Vertical Mount 1.jpg

Wilco Vertical Mount 2.jpg
Sponsored

First Name
Wayde
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I looked at it for a bit in person at the Four Wheeler adventure expo. Seems well built. But I didn't see any way to lock it open (There might be a way, I just didn't see it.). I was considering this option due to my 37in spare not fitting in the stock location after my lift. My main gripe with it is that it's $1600. That is overpriced for what you get. A Rigd ultra swing is a good alternative. Or saving a little while longer and getting a high clearance rear bumper with dual swing outs. That's just my .02 about it.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I get the idea here - getting the spare out from under the Gladiator but giving up the drop-down tailgate to do that may be one of the dumbest ideas I've yet seen.

If you ever had a Wrangler you know what I'm talking about

3ub11z.jpg

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I get the idea here - getting the spare out from under the Gladiator but giving up the drop-down tailgate to do that may be one of the dumbest ideas I've yet seen.

3ub11z.jpg
Depending on how you use your truck it's actually pretty outstanding. They're expensive as hell but having seen a Tacoma with one, it was pretty great being able to reach in and get everything out of the bed without climbing in. Mounting it independently from the bumper also meant any rear bumper worked as well.

For truck stuff it's not as useful but for a dedicated trail/camping/mall rig it's a pretty great addition if you have $1,800 burning a hole in your pocket.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Depending on how you use your truck it's actually pretty outstanding. They're expensive as hell but having seen a Tacoma with one, it was pretty great being able to reach in and get everything out of the bed without climbing in. Mounting it independently from the bumper also meant any rear bumper worked as well.

For truck stuff it's not as useful but for a dedicated trail/camping/mall rig it's a pretty great addition if you have $1,800 burning a hole in your pocket.
I get it. But to anyone considering this make sure you use a Wrangler for a while to see what it's like to have the tailgate swing away rather than drop down.

By the way, there are aftermarket bumpers that have swing away tire carriers so you can still keep your tailgate stock. I think that's a much better option but that's just me

Sponsored

OP
OP
ZroCool

ZroCool

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
I looked at it for a bit in person at the Four Wheeler adventure expo. Seems well built. But I didn't see any way to lock it open (There might be a way, I just didn't see it.). I was considering this option due to my 37in spare not fitting in the stock location after my lift. My main gripe with it is that it's $1600. That is overpriced for what you get. A Rigd ultra swing is a good alternative. Or saving a little while longer and getting a high clearance rear bumper with dual swing outs. That's just my .02 about it.

Do you have a link for the Rigd ultra swing?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
ZroCool

ZroCool

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Last edited:

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
As someone who has a tailgate that can swing open to the side or drop down, I swing it open far more than I drop it down. Really, the only time I drop it down is when I'm loading/unloading sheet goods, or I want to sit on it or use it as a table/work surface.

Personally, I think this Wilco tailgate would work great with something like Decked drawers where you don't need the middle tailgate position to carry sheet goods.The downside is you lose the ability to use the tailgate as a seat or table. YMMV.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'd look for a receiver mount swing out spare tire mount before throwing out that much money. Then you can "try it out first" at a lower cost and not lost your tail gate. For me I'll just pull out the welder and make one before I part with that much money, not like everyone is not spending more time in garage and home right now.:)

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob

3ub11z.jpg
Inferior design decisions on the YJ Wrangler through the ongoing JL Wrangler, CJ tailgates would fold up/down like a tailgate should.

Though; that is a very nice swing out rack.

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
I’d get one, but...... how would I haul the plywood for the groundhog house I want to build?

Happy April Fools Day, Team........

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur

3ub11z.jpg
The CJ had the most workable system imho. The gate folded down and the tire carrier swung to the side. If you needed to haul something long the folded gate would lock the tire carrier from swinging about.
Sponsored