Sponsored

Will Fogs set as DRL automatically turn off at night?

kabinski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I just set my fogs as DRLs using the Tazer. I know I will find out for sure tonight, but will the fogs automatically turn off when my headlights (set to AUTO) come on? Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP

kabinski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I just set my fogs as DRLs using the Tazer. I know I will find out for sure tonight, but will the fogs automatically turn off when my headlights (set to AUTO) come on? Thanks.
Nevermind. I think I just answered my own question by simply turning the headlights to ON instead of AUTO. And yes, they turn off. I'm assuming they'll do the same set to AUTO.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Query - why set fog lights, meant to make driving better in foggy and poor visibility conditions, set to be on all the time during the day?
They aim downward so won't help others see you really.
Is it a vanity/want it to look cool thing or is there another purpose? I never understood fog lights on a clear day. (or a cloudy day for that matter)

OP
OP

kabinski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Query - why set fog lights, meant to make driving better in foggy and poor visibility conditions, set to be on all the time during the day?
They aim downward so won't help others see you really.
Is it a vanity/want it to look cool thing or is there another purpose? I never understood fog lights on a clear day. (or a cloudy day for that matter)
Answer - visibility and vanity

Aiming fogs 4” below bulb centerline height @ 25’ doesn’t mean surrounding traffic can’t see them. I am quite certain on a clear day I can see mine a mile plus away.

And yes, I also think it looks “cool”. I’m sorry that you don’t understand my choice.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Answer - visibility and vanity

Aiming fogs 4” below bulb centerline height @ 25’ doesn’t mean surrounding traffic can’t see them. I am quite certain on a clear day I can see mine a mile plus away.

And yes, I also think it looks “cool”. I’m sorry that you don’t understand my choice.
A mile? Legal fog lights? I'll take that bet. Seriously, the ground would have to be absolutely totally perfectly flat - and the lights would have to be after-market as no legal "fog light" would project that far because fog lights are not for distance, they are for the first distance in front of you. Not 100' out.

---------------------------------------------------

A good fog lamp produces a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp horizontal cutoff (dark above, bright below) at the top of the beam, and minimal upward light above the cutoff. Almost all factory-installed or dealer-optional fog lamps, and a great many aftermarket units, are essentially useless for any purpose, especially for extremely demanding poor-weather driving. Many of them are too small to produce enough light to make a difference, produce beam patterns too narrow to help, lack a sufficiently-sharp cutoff, and throw too much glare light into the eyes of other drivers, no matter how they're aimed.

Good (and legal) fog lamps may produce white or Selective Yellow light—it is the beam pattern, not the light colour, that defines a fog lamp—and most of them use tungsten-halogen bulbs though there are some legitimate (and a lot of illegitimate) LED fog lamps beginning to appear. Xenon or HID bulbs are inherently unsuitable for use in fog lamps, and blue or other-colored lights are also the wrong choice.
When used without headlamps in conditions of extremely poor visibility due to snow, fog or heavy rain, good fog lamps light the foreground and the road edges only, so you can see your way safely at reduced speeds.

In some places, the law prohibits the use of fog lamps without the low beam headlamps also being on. Whether or not this is the case where you drive, it's vital to realize that fog lamp beams, by definition, have a much shorter reach than headlamp beams. If you drive in conditions foul enough to call for the use of fog lamps without headlamps, it's essential to have good fog lamps that are up to the task and are properly aimed, and it's even more imperative that you slow down because even with high-performance fog lamps, you can't see as far with fog lamps and in poor weather as you can with headlamps and in clear weather.
------
at normal road speeds, whatever is close enough to be within the foreground light is too close for you to avoid hitting. If you increase the foreground light (such as by turning on the fog lamps), your pupils react to the brighter pool of foreground light by constricting, which in turn substantially reduces your distance vision—especially since there's no increase in down-the-road distance light to go along with the increased foreground light.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

OP
OP

kabinski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
A mile? Legal fog lights? I'll take that bet. Seriously, the ground would have to be absolutely totally perfectly flat - and the lights would have to be after-market as no legal "fog light" would project that far because fog lights are not for distance, they are for the first distance in front of you. Not 100' out.

---------------------------------------------------

A good fog lamp produces a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp horizontal cutoff (dark above, bright below) at the top of the beam, and minimal upward light above the cutoff. Almost all factory-installed or dealer-optional fog lamps, and a great many aftermarket units, are essentially useless for any purpose, especially for extremely demanding poor-weather driving. Many of them are too small to produce enough light to make a difference, produce beam patterns too narrow to help, lack a sufficiently-sharp cutoff, and throw too much glare light into the eyes of other drivers, no matter how they're aimed.

Good (and legal) fog lamps may produce white or Selective Yellow light—it is the beam pattern, not the light colour, that defines a fog lamp—and most of them use tungsten-halogen bulbs though there are some legitimate (and a lot of illegitimate) LED fog lamps beginning to appear. Xenon or HID bulbs are inherently unsuitable for use in fog lamps, and blue or other-colored lights are also the wrong choice.
When used without headlamps in conditions of extremely poor visibility due to snow, fog or heavy rain, good fog lamps light the foreground and the road edges only, so you can see your way safely at reduced speeds.

In some places, the law prohibits the use of fog lamps without the low beam headlamps also being on. Whether or not this is the case where you drive, it's vital to realize that fog lamp beams, by definition, have a much shorter reach than headlamp beams. If you drive in conditions foul enough to call for the use of fog lamps without headlamps, it's essential to have good fog lamps that are up to the task and are properly aimed, and it's even more imperative that you slow down because even with high-performance fog lamps, you can't see as far with fog lamps and in poor weather as you can with headlamps and in clear weather.
------
at normal road speeds, whatever is close enough to be within the foreground light is too close for you to avoid hitting. If you increase the foreground light (such as by turning on the fog lamps), your pupils react to the brighter pool of foreground light by constricting, which in turn substantially reduces your distance vision—especially since there's no increase in down-the-road distance light to go along with the increased foreground light.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html
I appreciate your insight on fog lights, but we’re off topic here. In regards to this post, I’m speaking solely on using them as DRLs. Trust me, if given the task, I would be able to spot light being emitted from a factory set of Gladiator fog lights from over a mile away in conducive conditions. Earlier today, I spotted a Gladiator with his fogs on in clear daylight waiting at a red light as I drove by the intersection. He was a good half mile or so behind me when his light turned green and he proceeded in my direction. I could CLEARLY see his fogs just as easily as his headlights and running lights.
Sponsored