Sponsored

Will I be disappointed?

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Had a soft top Land Rover D90. Always need a pickup. I would love to have the best of both worlds in one vehicle. I’m currently using a V8 Colorado to pull a 4600 pound off road (Evolution E3) . The 5.3 V8 does a fine job. Doing the same task with a 3.6 V6 might be asking too much in the western mountains. A Gladiator would most likely be used for five or so towing trips a year. The rest would be mostly in town light city driving. Hate waiting for a diesel but I’ve never had a Pentastar V6 before. Is a Gladiator really a good idea? I really want one.
Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I’m guessing that trailer is pretty light...maybe 2000 lbs.?
The Pentastar with the 8 speed auto will tow that without hesitation.
You can get the max tow package with the 4.10 rear end for max performance.

OP
OP
DesertDog

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Believe it or not, that trailer crosses the scales at 4,600 lbs. Two 6 volt batteries, 51 gallons of water plus 7.5 reserve. The Colorado has 70psi in the air bags in this shot to achieve level. Yep.. It’s more than double the weight of our previous pop up.

That’s my concern. Especially when they’re saying the manual holds you to 4,500 lbs.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
You may be better with the max tow package which means the auto tranny.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DesertDog

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
According to the specs, you are correct. I do, however, scratch my head over this. First, I’m interested in the Rubicon. Now, the only difference between the auto and manual Gladiator is behind the engine and ahead of the transfer case. Clutch?

If the frame and suspension is adequate for one, how could it not be adequate for the other? Understably, different suspension set ups can cause weight penalties as well. Once you are rolling down the highway with an engineered and fully tested frame, the next order of business is managing the power output. The 3.6 has over 100 foot pounds less torque than Chevy’s 5.3. It’s not like I keep my foot in it or use it in anywhere near its maximum potential, I’m just trying to determine if dropping that much in the engine size is going to be a mistake.

I just want a Gladiator so my emotions might get in the way of practicality. What I’m dreading, however, is the look I may get from my wife when we are holding up traffic while climbing Parley’s Canyon at 45 MPH when we used to go 75 .

I appreciate your input. Thank you.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
You may have a tough time explaining that one to your wife. My sailboat plus trailer weighs 4800 pounds and my FJ. Cruiser tows 5000 pounds. When I tow it over a big bridge I can barely feel the boat behind me.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
If this thing sucks in the Rockies, San Juans, and westerns ranges, you won't be alone. They earned market share on these hills. Test drive it, or watch a live action video review? I pray Jeep will not advert best in class and not deliver.

avc8130

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
Wait for TFL to run it through the Ike Gauntlet.

I can tell you this, towing a similar trailer with my JKU and the manual...the power sucks. It's more like a "gets the job done" than a "wow this is effortless and awesome".

ac

Sponsored

OP
OP
DesertDog

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
That’s what I am afraid of. I sure would like a manual but to be realistic, I think maybe I should wait for the diesel. From what I am gathering, the towing information islargely dictated by engineers and then the lawyers. I respect that, but, the elephant in the room isn’t really mentioning that best in class towing will require the diesel which actually tows slightly less.

Can’t wait for the TFL guys to get on this.

Last edited:

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Buy a RAM. For $50,000 I wouldn't buy a Gladiator with a 3.6 over a RAM with a 5.7.

OP
OP
DesertDog

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I would love to. I live in a historic district and a full size pickup won’t fit in my garage, hence the V8 Colorado. A short Raptor will barely fit but my dog prefers to go topless. I sure would like to make a Gladiator work. Wait for the diesel?

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
That’s what I am afraid of. I sure would like a manual but to be realistic, I think maybe I should wait for the diesel. From what I am gathering, the towing information islargely dictated by engineers and then the lawyers. I respect that, but, the elephant in the room isn’t really mentioning that best in class towing will require the diesel which actually tows slightly less.

Can’t wait for the TFL guys to get on this.
I believe I read that the diesel tows less because of cooling issues. I could be wrong.

The reality is that if you want the best towing capabilities on the Gladiator, then you'll need the max towing package, an automatic transmission, and the 3.6 engine.

Big-Foot

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, 2002 Jeep Wrangler-X, 2017 Ford Raptor, 2008 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Fabricator