Sponsored

Will there be a 392 Gladiator? If not.........

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Would you get rid of the JT for the 392 JLU? I think the 392 is coming, and the 3.6 Penstar is leaving. Jeep will offer the 392, 3.0 Diesel, and 2.0 Turbo. I just think it makes sense. The 392 properly geared will not get that much less fuel mileage, if any at all. The 2.0 will sell to most people and will help with the overall CAFE standards.
Jeep Gladiator Will there be a 392 Gladiator? If not......... 392
Sponsored

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
If Jeep makes a 392 version of either the Rubicon or Mojave JT I will buy one. If not, then my next truck will be a Ram TRX. I really like the JT vehicle platform, but I like big V8 power even better, and would switch platforms to get it.

Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
A factory 392 is prolly gonna be $70+K anyway, IF it ever happens.

The 5.7 would provide much better/appropriate power than the Pentastar with very little loss of MPG.

I don't think a 6.4 will ever be a simple add-on engine option. IMO, it would be packaged into a high dollar, highly optioned themed truck. FCA seems to lean toward high profit/low volume sales rather than standard profit/higher volume sales. Perhaps they have production limitations.

jerstw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 (Cummins 'almost' a Prospector)
Occupation
Classified

The 5.7 would provide much better/appropriate power than the Pentastar with very little loss of MPG.

I don't think a 6.4 will ever be a simple add-on engine option. IMO, it would be packaged into a high dollar, highly optioned themed truck. FCA seems to lean toward high profit/low volume sales rather than standard profit/higher volume sales. Perhaps they have production limitations.
This.

Based on discussions I've had with friends at Jeep it appears the "Jeep brand team" has already submitted the request to move a "V8 JL and JT" into production however nothing can actually happen until parent FCA (or whatever there new name is) approves.

While I wish it would be a simple option to check at time of order (5.7 would be ideal as far as I'm concerned) I have to agree with futzin that it will be bundled with a high-spec $70K plus price tag specific model (think TRX); sadly cannot blame them, they would sell out as fast if not faster than the TRX did I suspect.

Personally was planning to go for the 3.0 EcoDiesel but after looking at the engine bay and the DEF / emissions aspects (thanks EPA) I will pass.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma

Agreed. I am pretty frustrated that instead of making the 5.7 available with a reasonable up-charge over the 3.6, Jeep is focused on a premium V8 option that is going to be really expensive. Following the logic of other brands, a 5.7 Gladiator should be priced above the 3.6 and below the 3.0 eco-diesel. I know that there are some diesel die-hards in the crowd, but with all the issues that modern diesels now have, I don't think most folks want to deal with a diesel. On the other hand, I think the market for a reasonably priced 5.7 gladiator would be significant. I would buy one today (literally, today). I don't need the 392, or a Hellcat, or even the 6.4...

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually broke down and put in an offer on a JTR out of state. For better or worse, they didn't accept (6% under invoice on a loaded unit).

Since the Bronco has no tow capacity (was hoping) and I personally don't much care for current JT color options (excepting Hydro), I will wait for maybe Sarge Green. Also still interested in a fairly basic '21 Durango SRT, if they ever release the d@mn thing.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. I am pretty frustrated that instead of making the 5.7 available with a reasonable up-charge over the 3.6, Jeep is focused on a premium V8 option that is going to be really expensive. Following the logic of other brands, a 5.7 Gladiator should be priced above the 3.6 and below the 3.0 eco-diesel. I know that there are some diesel die-hards in the crowd, but with all the issues that modern diesels now have, I don't think most folks want to deal with a diesel. On the other hand, I think the market for a reasonably priced 5.7 gladiator would be significant. I would buy one today (literally, today). I don't need the 392, or a Hellcat, or even the 6.4...
Agree.
If they'd offered the 5.7, I'd have one with 20K on it already.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Pretty standard way of releasing things like cars. If you're going to spend all the money on R&D and testing and advertising then you start with the highest profit cars first and price them to where you can sell every one you make. Then work down the demand curve.

Gymguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hydro Blue Unlimited Rubicon
Bringing this back. Does anyone think the 392 will be offered in the gladiator?
If it is not offered is anyone going to make the trade for the 392 JLU?

I was dead set on the diesel JT until this came out. Having owned a hemi JK they are a blast. Super tough decision.

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
None of that makes any sense at all.

I'd say there is 50% chance they V8 a JT
If they do it will (like the Wrangler) start at or above $70K making the vehicle not even close to cost competetive.

The 3.6 isn't going anywhere, and is perfectly adequate for 95%+ of the users.

This whole 392 is a bunch of day dreaming for most people, the diesel costs less, is lighter and makes more torque than the 392. If "more powah" is the thing , buy the diesel.

Gymguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hydro Blue Unlimited Rubicon
There is definitely a group of people that spent the money on hemi swaps in the past. That was a huge part of AEV's business.

It's not needed, but having owned one there is a huge fun factor.

I think the diesel is much more practical, but I'm not sure it will be as fun or reliable.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
There is definitely a group of people that spent the money on hemi swaps in the past. That was a huge part of AEV's business.

It's not needed, but having owned one there is a huge fun factor.

I think the diesel is much more practical, but I'm not sure it will be as fun or reliable.
No doubt and I wouldn't argue any of that.

The notion that a V8, any V8 replace the V6 across the fleet however is absurd. Cost is already a universal complaint and adding cost across the board would be shooting themselves in both feet
Sponsored