Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
So I was all in on getting the Badlands Apex Winch until last night I found the Smittybilt 12000lb x20 winch for 599.00, then I looked on Marketplace and found a guy with 2 Smittybilt x20 10000lb winches new in box for $400 a piece. Now I'm trying to decide which one I want to get. I used a Badlands older 9000lb winch on my JKU and never had any issues but also only used it a handful of times to get me unstuck and used it numerous to get other people unstuck. I don't feel like I will be using it on a regular basis so I'm trying to figure out what the better option here is. All the winches have Synthetic line but the smittybilts have about 12ft of extra line and all come with a wireless remote. My gut is telling me the 10000 Smitty is the best deal, but my I want that 12000lb winch self is saying spend the money. Here is where I'm at

BADLAND APEX 12000LB WINCH WITH SYNTHETIC LINE, $515 OUT THE DOOR

SMITTYBILT X20 12000LB WINCH WITH SYNTHETIC LINE, $599, SHIPPED

SMITTYBILT X20 10000LB WINCH WITH SYNTHETIC LINE $400 PICKED UP.

Give me some decision making advice, please:headbang:
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Warn

Phred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Gladiator Rubicon
I was always taught to get a bit more than you need...

Your mind is already made up anyway...the 12k.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I guess another question will a 10000lb winch be enough. The math seems right as far as how much the JT weighs. But adding winch,bumpers, and bigger tires, eventually 37's is going to add weight, I'd say no more than 400lbs roughly probably less.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, sorry...the Smitty...

I just had that same winch installed...98512. Have not used it yet...
Can you provide a picture of it installed

Phred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wanted box on the side...you can also mount it above spool. Clutch handle needed to be cut bit to miss fender. This wouldn't be necessary if you mount box above.
Jeep Gladiator Winch dilemma, need help deciding 20200522_070334

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted box on the side...you can also mount it above spool. Clutch handle needed to be cut bit to miss fender. This wouldn't be necessary if you mount box above.
20200522_070334.jpg

Looks good. I think on my Rugged Ridge Bumper I got coming I want have a issue with clearance. That looks good on the stock bumper though, I like how it sits down in the bumper. On a side note I think I'm probably going to get the Badland APEX 12000lb winch. The manager at Harbor Freight close to me is a jeep guy I know him pretty good and he told me last night when I saw him out that he would give me his discount on the winch plus let me use the 20% off so that is going to put me right at $400 on the Badlands winch, can't pass that up. I wasn't really questioning the quality of the Badlands when compared to the Smitty, I feel like they are pretty close as far as quality goes, I was just questioning if I really need the 12000lb or the 10000lb, but $400 for the Apex is a freaking great deal.

Sponsored

Phred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks good. I think on my Rugged Ridge Bumper I got coming I want have a issue with clearance. That looks good on the stock bumper though, I like how it sits down in the bumper. On a side note I think I'm probably going to get the Badland APEX 12000lb winch. The manager at Harbor Freight close to me is a jeep guy I know him pretty good and he told me last night when I saw him out that he would give me his discount on the winch plus let me use the 20% off so that is going to put me right at $400 on the Badlands winch, can't pass that up. I wasn't really questioning the quality of the Badlands when compared to the Smitty, I feel like they are pretty close as far as quality goes, I was just questioning if I really need the 12000lb or the 10000lb, but $400 for the Apex is a freaking great deal.
I agree...$400 is hard to beat. And since your guy is a Jeep guy who you know, Im sure he'd work with you if there are issues.

If you aren't hard core off roading every weekend, or out in the boonies alone, I'd think it would be fine. It's all about the risk for your planned situation.

Good luck with your project!

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Between Badlands and Smittybilt, I would go with Smittybilt. I have the 10,000 lb, and it works just fine. I’m not sure why you would prefer a Harbor Freight (cheap tools) brand to an off road accessory company brand. The motors are t he same between the 10k and 12k, just more gear reduction in the 12k, which means slower line speed. I will say though that I would buy Warn if it was reasonably close money.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I agree...$400 is hard to beat. And since your guy is a Jeep guy who you know, Im sure he'd work with you if there are issues.

If you aren't hard core off roading every weekend, or out in the boonies alone, I'd think it would be fine. It's all about the risk for your planned situation.

Good luck with your project!
Completely agree and I used a older style Badlands 9000lb winch on my JKU for about 5yrs and it never gave me one issue. I used it quite often, more to pull other people out than myself but it got used and did its job.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Between Badlands and Smittybilt, I would go with Smittybilt. I have the 10,000 lb, and it works just fine. I’m not sure why you would prefer a Harbor Freight (cheap tools) brand to an off road accessory company brand. I will say though that I would buy Warn if it was reasonably close money.
Both made in China and I have used a Badlands winch before and know others who used them as well. I had a Badlands 9000lb winch on my JKU that never failed me and got a buddy using the same 12000lb model on a car hauler for almost 8yrs that gets used about twice a week and is still going strong. I'm not comparing Smitty or saying it's better or worse, just saying the Badland winches are good winches. I used to sell bumpers and off road lights a few years back and learned a lot about the manufacturers and where stuff is made and a lot of the stuff you buy from SMITTYBILT is made on the same factory that Eautogrilles,poison spyder and other manufacturers get their stuff from. So I'm not knocking Smittybilts stuff, but I'm not paying $200 more dollars for pretty much the same winch. My guy said I'd be around $400 with his discount and 20% on the Apex.

I'll also say this, I have bought plenty of Harbor Freight, "cheap tools brand" , tools over the years and I have some that are 10yrs or more old that are still being used. Two sawzalls I paid $18 for and I'm using both of them 10yrs later, air compressor, torque wrench etc, I've got my money's worth and more out of a good bit of their stuff. Now I'm not saying I haven't had few crap the bed on me, but for the money I can't complain. I've gotten good use out of more than not.

Last edited:

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Badlands vs Smittybuilt = $ vs warranty. I got lucky and got the smitty 12k synthetic for $490 so I didn't have to choose. 90 day on Badlands, 5 years on Smitty.

Yes, there is anecdotal evidence regarding Badlands lasting a long time, I'm not arguing that. Is $90 worth peace of mind for 4.75 years? It was for me.

Same argument between 10k and 12k - 10k "should be fine." How much do you want to spend for piece of mind in case you get stuck someplace challenging. Also, are you going to just use the winch to recover your truck or want to be able to recover others that might be heavier?

I've got a bunch of Harbor Freight stuff too, so I'm not knocking the brand. However, once it does break you're on your own.
Sponsored