Winch options kind of overwhelmed

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I am hoping somebody might be able to point me in the right direction of what I should do. I feel like a made a mistake not ordering the steel bumper from the factory.

Long story short I ordered the jeep primarily for the fact because it was a convertible truck, with offloading being a nice "bonus feature" Still got the rubicon because of the feature set though compared to the sport. Overland was out due to towing capacity.

Fast forward 9 days after getting the truck and me and the kids are having a blast driving it around my yard and really want to go offroading. I have also been using the tow hooks to take down dead trees, a winch would work way better here. Also do not feel comfortable going offroading without being prepared (eagle scout, lol)

After looking at options I am kind of in a bind. Was going to go with a front hitch mount, but can't due to the Rubicon steel plate up front I would rather keep in place.

Thought about getting a new bumper, but cost and the crazy number of options out there is overwhelming (379-2k+). Also don't want to effect my payload on my jeep by putting something too heavy up there. Strangely enough I also like the look of the stock bumper.

Any ideas or recommendations?
Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
You aren't going to find a satisfactory winch mount using that bumper. It will have to be mounted either above it or in front of it which will introduce their own set of problems.

Do it right, replace the bumper.

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU and 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
He's right. The stock plastic bumper simply won't cut it. You can get a good bumper and a good winch for under $850 combined though.

This Rampage Rock Rage bumper on my wife's JL was $229 at Quadratec and the factory fogs fit right in there with no issues. Has tabs for additional auxiliary lights and the winch plate is built in, saving you a couple hundred $. Easy install too.

The Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12k winch is $599 with a coupon and also an easy install. The remote is both wired and wireless. It is complete. You will need nothing else to complete this install. I liked this winch so much I bought 2 abs installed the other on my JT, but I had the factory steel bumper.

20191130_095557.jpg

20191130_095604.jpg

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
He's right. The stock plastic bumper simply won't cut it. You can get a good bumper and a good winch for under $850 combined though.

This Rampage Rock Rage bumper on my wife's JL was $229 at Quadratec and the factory fogs fit right in there with no issues. Has tabs for additional auxiliary lights and the winch plate is built in, saving you a couple hundred $. Easy install too.

The Harbor Freight Badland Apex 12k winch is $599 with a coupon and also an easy install. The remote is both wired and wireless. It is complete. You will need nothing else to complete this install. I liked this winch so much I bought 2 abs installed the other on my JT, but I had the factory steel bumper.

20191130_095557.jpg

20191130_095604.jpg
Man hurts even more seeing a gator the way I should have ordered it, lol.

Guess its time to start browsing around for different bumpers unfortunately.

What do you guys think about this one? Seems to be the best price per performance, though I wish the winch sat a little lower in the bumper.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt/stubby-without-winch

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I am hoping somebody might be able to point me in the right direction of what I should do. I feel like a made a mistake not ordering the steel bumper from the factory.

Long story short I ordered the jeep primarily for the fact because it was a convertible truck, with offloading being a nice "bonus feature" Still got the rubicon because of the feature set though compared to the sport. Overland was out due to towing capacity.

Fast forward 9 days after getting the truck and me and the kids are having a blast driving it around my yard and really want to go offroading. I have also been using the tow hooks to take down dead trees, a winch would work way better here. Also do not feel comfortable going offroading without being prepared (eagle scout, lol)

After looking at options I am kind of in a bind. Was going to go with a front hitch mount, but can't due to the Rubicon steel plate up front I would rather keep in place.

Thought about getting a new bumper, but cost and the crazy number of options out there is overwhelming (379-2k+). Also don't want to effect my payload on my jeep by putting something too heavy up there. Strangely enough I also like the look of the stock bumper.

Any ideas or recommendations?
I bought my manual Gladiator Rubicon off the lot and it came with the plastic bumper. I ordered the Mopar 3 piece steel bumper, winch bar guard, skid plate, and plastic filler plate from the dealer using the new car discount. I installed it myself, it was super easy. I made a thread about it. You can probably find a better deal out there today and tomorrow - cyber Monday.... If not, you can go with any aftermarket winch bumper at a lower price point.

Note: I am not buying a winch... Very few trees where I 4wheel.. I just wanted the steel bumper, and I wanted to mount the bull bar and mopar 7 inch lights. Without trees, you can use Maxtrax, Truck Claws, snatch'em strap, high lift jack, shovel, or all of the above to get unstuck.

Sponsored

Punkin Luvin

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punkin Gladiator S, 2019 Bikini Rubi JL, 1969 Bronco, 1965 Vert Chevelle, 1968 Nova, 1964 Vert Falcon, 1971 Bronco, 1976 FJ40
So many great bumpers out there, be sure to check eBay as well as there are amazing deals for even under 200 shipped. Remember that jl/jt/jk all have same mounts. Some are a bit big and require removal or mod to the sway bar skid plate. I got an EAG branded one that wasn't too huge.
Winches.... Many options too. Many get hung up on the Warn branding, they're great but I've ran others with just as much success including the quadratec Q series. I just got one from Amazon that I am going to try out, its made by Orcish that had great specs, waterproof, synthetic cable and a ton of reviews. It is very handy to have a winch and recovery gear when going out wheeling, especially if you are not with any other rig.

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security

LidLess07X

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Recon, 2001 TJ Sport, 2018 Mustang GT PP1 with Roush S.C.
Do it right and replace the bumper. EVO manufacturing, RockHard 4x4(aluminum), Genright, Poison Spyder, Expedition One, LoD Offroad, ARB and AEV are some of the better brands. If you want the stock bumper,keep in mind you still have to buy the winch mount, filler plates, etc. it’s probably the most expensive and one of the heaviest options out there. Rubitrux is a great source for all of that.(it’s where I got mine). The EVO quarter pounder is a great option

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Mopar is a little bit out of my price range at this point. What do you guys think about this one? Seems like it has everything I need.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rugged-...-bumper-winch-mount-jeep-wrangler-jl-11549.04
Looks pretty nice. Has that Mopar stock stubby look on the ends with the fog lights. It also has some nice hooks. It also puts the winch deep in the bumper to avoid any radiator blockage. The winch plate is already engineered into the bumper. It looks like it matches up pretty good with the steel Rubicon skid plate that comes with the plastic bumper. Total Vertical width looks a little thin... Check that your fog lights will work.

Sponsored

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
Looks good.

Things I would want to know first:
(A) is it compatible with the steel skid pan supplied (assuming Rubicon)
(B) will it accept the factory fog lights from your plastic bumper
(A) Yes, I have a Rubicon and this is the bumper I got.
(B) Yes, I did not have OEM LEDs in my Rubicon. Factory Halogen fog lights fit without issue. There are install videos on YoutTube now on this specific bumper. That is what I followed.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
Mopar is a little bit out of my price range at this point. What do you guys think about this one? Seems like it has everything I need.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rugged-...-bumper-winch-mount-jeep-wrangler-jl-11549.04
I did a lot of looking around and this is the one I ordered except with the over rider. I haven't gotten it yet. But as I understand it the factory fog lights will fit, both halogen and LED. It already includes the winch plate so honestly you are saving around 3 to 4 hundred over doing the factory steel bumper.
If you are just getting started you can go with a lower priced winch like the harbor freight listed above. The XRC by Smitty Built is also pretty well rated for the price.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I am hoping somebody might be able to point me in the right direction of what I should do. I feel like a made a mistake not ordering the steel bumper from the factory....
Yeah, I've been traveling that path, too. I looked until I was blue in the face and could not find any that looked as good as the OEM bumper. Bear in mind, there are folks who buy with a steel bumper off the lot, but would rather have an aftermarket bumper. So, I found one on Craig's List who had to replace his because it didn't support a tow bar behind his RV. $500, and it has the winch hoop, too, and he's even including the fog lights (which I didn't need, but having spares could come in handy someday). I found a winch plate on Northridge much less expensive than the OEM option. There are other manufacturer options out there, as well, but some folks are describing fits that aren't quite perfect with certain winches, etc. That is, you can "make it fit with a bit of grinding", but in my world (years in the military working the design and acquisition of aircraft systems that I'd later fly as a crewmember into combat) I call that poor engineering. Folks attest that the one I selected works with almost every winch--and you can easily find the very short list of the ones that don't work. I'm awaiting order deliveries, so if you have patience, within a couple weeks I should be sharing my experience on the forum. Here is the winch plate, BTW ...

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...hard-4x4-winch-plate-for-factory-steel-bumper

Also, congrats on Eagle Scout. I've done a bit of Scouting in a past life. ;-)

IMG_5605.JPG

Heritage of Miami Sea Explorer Crew Group Photo (8x10).jpg

NaughtyGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Amazon has the Arcus bumper available with a 15% coupon putting it at $423. I also started a thread about a killer deal on Smittybilt X20 12K winch in the general section. Prime shipping on both so it comes in under $1000 for both.