Threads
Reaction score
Website
smittie.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2019 Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Technology Consultant in Agriculture
Has anyone used one of these (Ayleid 12V 500A Winch Solenoid Relay, as an example) as a power interrupt for a 10K winch? I'd like to use something slimmer than the Warn Power Interrupt kit solenoid.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I'm interested in hearing some of the responses to this question too. I had a sales guy actually talk me out of using a power interrupt not too long ago arguing that the controls of the winch (mine is a Warn) prevent it from actually draining your battery when not in use and argued that there was no need for an interrupt. I "believed" him at the time because I couldn't provide an intelligible argument for the use of one.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The power interrupt is primarily for safety. It keeps the truck from burning up when the positive wire for the winch grounds against the frame during an accident.

OP
OP

Smittie

First Name
Smittie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
smittie.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm interested in hearing some of the responses to this question too. I had a sales guy actually talk me out of using a power interrupt not too long ago arguing that the controls of the winch (mine is a Warn) prevent it from actually draining your battery when not in use and argued that there was no need for an interrupt. I "believed" him at the time because I couldn't provide an intelligible argument for the use of one.
Zeon Platinum? I sent an inquiry to Warn Support regarding the install of a Zeon Platinum. They said that everything on the winch is controlled through the bluetooth controller and that an interrupt was not needed. I worked with bluetooth devices too long to put 100% trust in a bluetooth controller. I decided to go with the Zeon winch.

As has been pointed out in other threads on this forum an unfused hot lead from the positive terminal of the battery to the front of the vehicle that has constant power seems like it could make any kind of front end collision a lot more exciting. I had a Warn Power Interrupt on a Warn 9.5ti that was on my last Jeep (an XJ).

My plan is to put a solenoid relay power interrupt in and use one of the 15 amp AUX switches to trigger the relay turning the winch on and off. Eventually, some winch specific lighting will also go on that same switch.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
BadgeGlow has a LED winch light that goes up front between the fairlead piece and the frame. It's around $100.

Sponsored

Jfinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
That isn't a power interrupt solenoid. it is a contactor pack that controls the winch. I guess it would work if what you wanted to do was remove the control box and mount that contactor remotely and go to a wireless winch control which is shown in the wiring diagram but doesn't look like it is included.

OP
OP

Smittie

First Name
Smittie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
smittie.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That isn't a power interrupt solenoid. it is a contactor pack that controls the winch. I guess it would work if what you wanted to do was remove the control box and mount that contactor remotely and go to a wireless winch control which is shown in the wiring diagram but doesn't look like it is included.
Thank you! I suspected that I was not looking at the right thing.

If you do not mind furthering my education, what does a contactor pack do? Moving the control box is above my skill set (as demonstrated by the quetion itself).

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! I suspected that I was not looking at the right thing.

If you do not mind furthering my education, what does a contactor pack do? Moving the control box is above my skill set (as demonstrated by the quetion itself).
The contactor pack is usually combined in the control box. It controls power and direction for the winch motor. Some move it for water fording to keep it dry. Without a separate power interrupt near the battery, you still have a hot wire going out to the winch, unless the control box is moved back by the battery where the power interrupt would be.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Smittie

First Name
Smittie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
smittie.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The contactor pack is usually combined in the control box. It controls power and direction for the winch motor. Some move it for water fording to keep it dry. Without a separate power interrupt near the battery, you still have a hot wire going out to the winch, unless the control box is moved back by the battery where the power interrupt would be.
Thank you. Based on this, I have gone back to figuring out where to place the Warn Power Interrupt Kit solenoid. I wish Jeep designed in a little more space for owner added components.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. Based on this, I have gone back to figuring out where to place the Warn Power Interrupt Kit solenoid. I wish Jeep designed in a little more space for owner added components.
There's room next to the battery. You will need to fashion a bracket that attaches to the fender bolts to hold it. You can get smaller flat pieces at Lowes.

I ordered one of these to see if I could make it work for what I need to mount. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B076BSF...abc_SFD4FYXC7K1KAXJVAV7E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Why are people using solenoids to disconnect instead of a simple high amperage battery switch? I feel like it's another point of failure so looking for insight as to why people prefer them.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Why are people using solenoids to disconnect instead of a simple high amperage battery switch? I feel like it's another point of failure so looking for insight as to why people prefer them.
For me, Warn offered a power cutoff solenoid kit, so, I bought it. I hooked it up to my aux switches, so, I do not have to open the hood to power up the winch, like a cutoff switch would require. If the solenoid fails, it is pretty easy to bypass the solenoid. Just a couple of nuts.

2VdJve.jpg

OP
OP

Smittie

First Name
Smittie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
smittie.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For me, Warn offered a power cutoff solenoid kit, so, I bought it. I hooked it up to my aux switches, so, I do not have to open the hood to power up the winch, like a cutoff switch would require. If the solenoid fails, it is pretty easy to bypass the solenoid. Just a couple of nuts.

Jeep Gladiator Winch Power Interrupts 2VdJve
Appreciate the photo. It looks like it will fit in there the way I plan.

I had the Warn Power Interrupt Kit installed on my last Jeep. It worked very well for the entire 15 years I owned it. The Warn solution works well. I was only hoping to find a solenoid with a more narrow width. I will probably end up with the Warn Kit again, configured as you have done.

OP
OP

Smittie

First Name
Smittie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
smittie.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I had the Warn Power Interrupt Kit on my last Jeep. Worked flawlessly for 15 years. No need to open the hood to use the winch. The synthetic winch line reduces or eliminates the need to put the hood up during recovery operations (yes, I've seen both steel cable and synthetic line part). As another poster mentioned, bypassing the solenoid in the case of failure is simple and quick.

Having said that, I have considered using a battery disconnect switch this time. Relatively equal methods of achieving the required outcome.
Sponsored