Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Looking to wire up the front winch today if possible. But have a wiring question.

Some initial discussion on the Genesis system can be found here.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ttery-system-a-discussion.69204/#post-1132824
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/genesis-batteries-lets-do-some-math.62165/
several threads of build - https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...wn-2022-jtr-journal.66430/page-2#post-1097352

@ShadowsPapa I think you might be able to assist.

So - the current wiring looks like the diagram below. Please excuse the hasty and very poor quality. As you can see, the vehicle main positive is connected to the main battery. A buss bar connects the positive to a battery combiner (fancy solenoid) and then to the positive of the aux battery. The Negative is where it gets weird. Negative (via IBS) is connected to the AUX negative. The main battery negative connects to the TOP SIDE of the IBS on the aux battery. This gives me the impression that the vehicle computer is not properly reading power transfer through the main battery, and can only see power transfer through the aux battery when the battery combiner is combined.

On the aux battery, there is a buss bar that, through a 100a fuse, goes to a third battery in the bed. So my accessories are powered by the aux battery in bed, combined to the aux battery under hood.

Jeep Gladiator Winch wiring with Genesis System IMG_0703.JPG

Now obviously if I had a hard winch pull, it would blow that 100a fuse pretty easily (it is also 20' of 4ga cable) if I do NOT put the combiner in an open state, as the winch would pull power from all 3 batteries.. SO I want to be sure to turn the battery combiner OFF and run the main winch power cable directly to the main starting battery via the main vehicle harness (there is an open and unused stud on the main harness to battery connection).

So in doing this, I can force the battery combiner to go open, which isolates each battery from each other. However - because the IBS is on top of the aux battery, my assumption is the vehicle computer will not be able to understand the power draw because the energy flow will not go through the IBS since the IBS is on top of the aux battery.

Pictured here you can see the main battery, and main + cable is the battery closest to the cowl. The aux battery is closest to me. The main battery negative cable attaches to the TOP of the IBS - if you look close you will see the main battery connected to the big - buss bar, and the - buss bar connected to the top of the IBS. Meaning, power drawn from the main battery is not really being seen by the vehicle computer?? Now the block fuse on the lower left portion of the picture, there are 2. the closest one goes to the switch pro's for the off road lights. The second one, one furthest away from me, is a 100a fuse and goes to the battery in the bed via a 4ga cable. So I need to make sure that the positive of the winch is on the positive cable (closest to the cowl) and the battery combiner in an OPEN state so that no power flows from the battery in the bed, through the 100a fuse, through the combiner, and then to the winch. But by doing this, the vehicle won't see the power draw because no electrical flow will be going through the IBS since the main battery negative is connected to the top of the IBS.
Jeep Gladiator Winch wiring with Genesis System IMG_0705.JPG

To resolve this, I think I need to re-wire as pictured below. Basically, the IBS and main vehicle harness needs to connect to the negative side of the main battery, so that the aux battery (and thus aux battery in the bed) is totally isolated when the combiner is in an open state.

Jeep Gladiator Winch wiring with Genesis System IMG_0703.JPG

Does this sound accurate?
Sponsored

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Now i just had a thought. The battery posts of these new batteries are bolted on by a bolt. So in theory, couldnt I undo the bolt. lift up the battery post and sandwich the negative between the battery and the actual post? That way the vehicle would see voltage flow going through the sensor

Jeep Gladiator Winch wiring with Genesis System D91A310C-5275-4E51-A154-95B562839FFF

Jeep Gladiator Winch wiring with Genesis System DF37F1B8-3D1B-4AA7-8839-B734E28319ED

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Picture of a spare terminal
Jeep Gladiator Winch wiring with Genesis System EAB33184-0D09-4F44-94E7-EFCF705B22F1
Sponsored