Wind noise, leak, need a part number

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I have a wind noise in the right door that sounds like a window is cracked open. I have been chasing this leak since day one. I pointed it out at the dealership when/as i was buying it. Salesman and mechanic drove it and decided it is "characteristic of the vehicle", which is bullshit I drove two of them before I ordered this one and neither one makes the noise. Worth mentioning the left side is quiet as a church mouse as it should be.

I've remounted the freedom panels, lowered and inspected the windshield twice, no change.

Today as I was obsessing over it and inspecting the window and door seals yet again, I notice that on the passenger side (where the noise is) the little sail shaped piece of trim/molding at the front corner of the window kind of behind the mirror fits like shit.

So I took it off completely and put Gorilla Tape over the holes and went and drove it. Probably 80-85% better. So I stopped and cut the tape to allow re-installation of the trim and put it on. Immediately the noise was back although maybe diminished slightly.

This part is a poorly designed piece of crap, and looks like it is also out of spec. There is one central fastener and two guide pins. When it is installed by virtue of the centrally located spring clip fastener, the plastic piece of shit folds up like a taco funneling air off of the mirror mount into the mounting holes in the door (despite the soft/spongy/thin/inadequate and generally shitty weather stripping bonded to the back of it.

So having said that, I can't find a parts diagram showing this part, or the part number, and I don't even know what it is called, other than plastic piece of shit. I need the part number so I can order one or two.

I'm going to initially try to secure the thing with 3M two sided tape, but before I go to work on it I want to have a replacement original piece in hand. If 3M doesn't do it, the next step is screws.

I am 100% certain that if I try to get the dealer to fix this it will drive me into a dimension of frustration and general pissed off-edness that will rob all the joy out of my life and may result in my lapsing into a stream of profanity that would make a Mexican prison guard vomit.

So help me out, does anyone know what this part number is, or have a parts diagram with it shown, or even what it is called?
0728191831a_HDR.jpg

That's the offending part right there
Sponsored

Last edited:

smoverland

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self-Employed
I answered my own question, but in the even someone else is suffering from the partially open window wind noise, here it is Part #68282864AG $7.50
Was it a whistling sound?

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Was it a whistling sound?
Sounds like a window that isn't quite closed, but it's not. I reset the freedom panels several times, lowered /inspected/retorqued windshield several times.

I noticed the lower corner of that panel which is just above the mirror mount was sticking out and generally flimsy. I took it off and put Gorilla tape over the holes and the noise is largely gone. I put the panel back on and the noise is back.

I'm going to install with 3M double sided foam tape and see what happens.

smoverland

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self-Employed
Sounds like a window that isn't quite closed, but it's not. I reset the freedom panels several times, lowered /inspected/retorqued windshield several times.

I noticed the lower corner of that panel which is just above the mirror mount was sticking out and generally flimsy. I took it off and put Gorilla tape over the holes and the noise is largely gone. I put the panel back on and the noise is back.

I'm going to install with 3M double sided foam tape and see what happens.
I'm wondering if my whistling noise comes from this or the door seal. I'll be following your experiment and trying it myself to see if it cures my problem. Thanks for sharing!

Sponsored

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I'm wondering if my whistling noise comes from this or the door seal. I'll be following your experiment and trying it myself to see if it cures my problem. Thanks for sharing!
The clip(s) are in the very center. If you don't have a proper trim removing tool, slip a butter knife in and twist lightly, it will pop right off.

You'll then see a square hole the attaching clip fits and two smaller guide pin holes, tape over them and go drive it.

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
A little update on this @smoverland @Moab, this panel shough have 3 attachment points, the square center and both of what I have previously referred to as locating dowels. Nether of mine had the retainers on the "locating dowels" when I removed them the first time.

While it is possible that they simply shed into the door when I removed the panel, I'm inclined to say that is not the case. The panel on the passenger side was clearly loose and easily flexed away from the door with little resistance.

Point being, if you remove your panels you should be conscious of this.

Since my Gladiator took several weeks to ship after it was built, and came off of the train with 12 miles on it, I suspect this issue was known before it was shipped, and some efforts were made to mitigate it prior to shipping. I suspect that's where the retainers on the locating dowels went.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I answered my own question, but in the even someone else is suffering from the partially open window wind noise, here it is Part #68282864AG applique , mirror flag $7.50
I have the same issue and am racking my brains as to where the freakin leak is. Been through the car wash and no water was let in. Still scratching head.

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Another update :
I got my replacement part(s), here is a picture of the original on the left with extra added sound proofing and missing a clip, and the replacement
0730191746_HDR.jpg

So with a new panel in hand I was prepared to undo anything I might "do".

So I took the original panel, peeled the soundproofing off, covered the entire back of the panel with 2 sided 3M weatherstrip adhesive tape, took the pin clip off the new panel and put it on the old panel and installed.

95%+ reduction in noise, well into the realm of normal road noise, not a distraction for normal conversation, and imperceptible with anything on the ray-dee-oh. The blower motor above a setting of 4-5 makes more noise.

And the heavens opened and the Angels sang,......

ColoradoGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Another update :
I got my replacement part(s), here is a picture of the original on the left with extra added sound proofing and missing a clip, and the replacement
0730191746_HDR.jpg

So with a new panel in hand I was prepared to undo anything I might "do".

So I took the original panel, peeled the soundproofing off, covered the entire back of the panel with 2 sided 3M weatherstrip adhesive tape, took the pin clip off the new panel and put it on the old panel and installed.

95%+ reduction in noise, well into the realm of normal road noise, not a distraction for normal conversation, and imperceptible with anything on the ray-dee-oh. The blower motor above a setting of 4-5 makes more noise.

And the heavens opened and the Angels sang,......
i have the same sound on my driver side.... THANKS for the investigation...

Sponsored

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
i have the same sound on my driver side.... THANKS for the investigation...
$7.50, give it a whirl. If it fixes it it is $7.50 well spent.

ETA: The part number posted above is for the right/passenger side, obviously not correct for the left side. I did buy one for the left as well just in case I needed it, so if you can't run down the number, let me know and I'll walk the hundred feet to my shop and secure it.

Woody

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Sitting at the dealership right now with the same issue on the driver side. Something is not right. I had a 2014 Jeep rubicon and didn’t have a noise leak like this. Stay tuned.. we will see what the dealership says

Woody

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Okay, here at the dealership I showed the service guy this thread and we taped this panel off and took it for a test drive. 90 percent of the noise went away.. they are ordering a new panel. Thanks for the detailed information!!

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Okay, here at the dealership I showed the service guy this thread and we taped this panel off and took it for a test drive. 90 percent of the noise went away.. they are ordering a new panel. Thanks for the detailed information!!
Excellent.

Woody

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Excellent.
Well I’m now not sure this is the issue. The dealership had to order the part so I left thinking it was solved. When I got home I thought I would tape it up and drive it for awhile to make sure this was it. After drive it for about a hour the leak was still there..not sure this is my issue. Will let the dealership replace it and see what happens. The good thing is the service guy said something was not right so at least They don’t think my crazy..
Sponsored