JeePM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep GC, 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe
Just thinking out loud.

I don't understand the concept behind the window switch placement. Naturally were used to the window switches being in the doors. They just seem so out of place in the center stack, both front and rear. Why the heck didn't they put them in the doors? You put the door lock switch and the mirror control in the door, why not the darn window switches.

One might say its because the doors are removable, but that doesn't make sense because you wont need window switches when the doors are not on.

Maybe its just a jeep thing and I wont understand...
Sponsored

Dietruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE, 2004 Z06, 2021 Model Y
Just thinking out loud.

I don't understand the concept behind the window switch placement. Naturally were used to the window switches being in the doors. They just seem so out of place in the center stack, both front and rear. Why the heck didn't they put them in the doors? You put the door lock switch and the mirror control in the door, why not the darn window switches.

One might say its because the doors are removable, but that doesn't make sense because you wont need window switches when the doors are not on.

The answer is very simple. Yes the doors are removable but you don't have to take them all off. If you put the switches in the diver's doors like other vehicles and you take the front two doors off and leave the back two on. The driver no longer has a controls to the back windows.

People with young kids often leave the back doors on. The driver still needs controls for them while driving. Unlike door locks.

Aka it's a Jeep thing and like most "jeep things". It makes sense once you think about it.

Last edited:

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
Just thinking out loud.

What @Dietruck said and simply because "It's a Jeep thing." Now if it still bothers you, you can always get a base sport with roll up windows and manual locks. My first Wrangler in 1988 had 1/2 doors with zippered windows. Was always an adventure going through toll booths so I'm just happy to have powered windows and locks regardless of where the switches are. It's easy to get used to.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
More importantly, is one touch both ways on all 4 doors too much to ask? I might be swayed by some programming that allows me to roll all 4 down with a double touch of the drivers switch.

Sponsored

unixxx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave, Grand Cherokee SRT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
More importantly, is one touch both ways on all 4 doors too much to ask? I might be swayed by some programming that allows me to roll all 4 down with a double touch of the drivers switch.
Maybe the lack of one touch up is so passengers' arms don't get caught.

Sespe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
The answer is very simple. Yes the doors are removable but you don't have to take them all off. If you put the switches in the diver's doors like other vehicles and you take the front two doors off and leave the back two on. The driver no longer has a controls to the back windows.

People with young kids often leave the back doors on. The driver still needs controls for them while driving. Unlike door locks.

Aka it's a Jeep thing and like most "jeep things". It makes sense once you think about it.
You know, there is finally a rational explanation! Thank you for this, now it makes sense.
Sponsored