Winter shelter while skiing

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
This ski season is going to be a mess. Most lodges will be limited capacity and some are only allowing people in for warm up and bathroom. They are also requiring you to boot up and get dressed at your car. With that said I am trying to find a quick shelter to setup behind the JT with sides, but not a RTT. Something easy to set up and take down. Has room to hang out and chill between runs if necessary and could add some sort of small heater.

I have the DIY bedrail system and KBVoodoo crossbars if that helps at all.

Originally I saw this
Jeep Gladiator Winter shelter while skiing 1607621637059

Which led me to this.
Jeep Gladiator Winter shelter while skiing 1607621712011
Jeep Gladiator Winter shelter while skiing 1607621754511

Which led me to this.
Jeep Gladiator Winter shelter while skiing 1607621819984

I am thinking the 3rd option is probably the best option. Portable, easy to setup and has more room and it is black so it may draw in more heat during the Winter. I have seen the awnings that attach to the hardtop, but I am not sure if they have sidewalls or not.

What other options are out there for quick shelter, getting dressed/undressed, and lunch?
Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Search for "pop up ice fishing huts".

If it's cold,and even slightly breezy it isn't going to matter what color it is, particularly when it has no thermal mass

OP
OP
Dreaded1

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Search for "pop up ice fishing huts".

If it's cold,and even slightly breezy it isn't going to matter what color it is, particularly when it has no thermal mass
That is a great idea. Probably the only way I would get in an ice fishing tent.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dreaded1

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Maybe whiskey, cheap wine and sex, no cigarettes.

enrico_pallazzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 Scrambler & 21 Mojave
Occupation
Opera singer, occasional umpire
I will probably go with this one. Just for the added room for moving around and gear. You never know who you will run into on the mountain that may need a warm place too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WGY2FC...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Jeep Gladiator Winter shelter while skiing 1607628228607
Damn, that's awesome and BIG. You're gonna need to get there extra early and grab a few spots for that. We've also been thinking about what our tailgating setup will be for the parking lot this season. If you use this setup, it would be awesome to see some pics of it in action!

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I will probably go with this one. Just for the added room for moving around and gear. You never know who you will run into on the mountain that may need a warm place too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WGY2FC...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Jeep Gladiator Winter shelter while skiing 1607628228607
I have something similar and love it. Mine is screened but they sell panels that cover them.
‘Works great and takes less than a minute to set up..
https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Set-98...id=1607731671&sprefix=The+clam,aps,166&sr=8-2

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
@bgenlvtex what a great idea. I would think that this thing would do well on the used market also when thing get back to normal.
I have been eyeing those shelters for some time now. I'm thinking that setting one up either under, or in the peripheral area of a batwing awning would create a very usable area. The vehicle can be used as a windbreak, as can the awning.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dreaded1

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I am still comptemplating purchasing this. I live in Upstate NY so there will definitely be a market for me to sell this when the mountains allow us back in the lodges for the 21-22 season.

And the plan would be to set this up in between my truck and a friend's vehicle.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I am still comptemplating purchasing this. I live in Upstate NY so there will definitely be a market for me to sell this when the mountains allow us back in the lodges for the 21-22 season.

And the plan would be to set this up in between my truck and a friend's vehicle.
Personally I would opt for a smaller unit. Weight, ease of set up and climate control will all be superior in a smaller unit. That condo isn't big enough to get away from anybody, but is big enough to come with a set of inconveniences that are not quite as noticeable in a single wide
Sponsored