Sponsored

Wire Pass-thru for roof

Mayhem 6

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR; 2020 JLUR; 2015 JKW; 2016 JKUR (Sold); 2014 JKSS (Sold); 2008 JKUR (Sold)
Hey all, I'm looking for some good recommendations for waterproof pass thru. I'm planning on mounting a Rhino-Rack on the truck and then installing my lightbar, area lights, and chase bar.

Looking for any recommendations on the best way to drill/waterproof the wiring into the cab. TIA!
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
There are vents on the backside of the cab. There are floor plugs in the floor of the cab.

If you pull the Freedom Panels off, I believe there is a natural channel to run wires.

Vanishing Point

First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
If you end up having to drill, get some of this. It's what you use to seal firewalls after running cables to/from the engine bay and cab.

20220918_222724.jpg

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've bought solar wire cable glands for that but I've not got the nerve yet to install them. I currently have just ran the solar panel wires though sliding window. Antenna wire under hardtop at a seam. No roof lights on mine been there before on my XJ to much glare for me in dusty conditions.

OP
OP
Mayhem 6

Mayhem 6

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR; 2020 JLUR; 2015 JKW; 2016 JKUR (Sold); 2014 JKSS (Sold); 2008 JKUR (Sold)
I would look at coming off the rack and going down underneath to the engine compartment.
There are vents on the backside of the cab. There are floor plugs in the floor of the cab.

If you pull the Freedom Panels off, I believe there is a natural channel to run wires.
I've thought about that, but would require adding either some adhesive wire channel down the back of the cab exterior. The rack doesn't go far enough forward to run down the A-pillar.

Best way to keep your roof waterproof is to not drill through it
I've got to drill the top to mount the backbone platform regardless, an additional pass-thru isn't going to hurt it. Just looking for a cleaner way than a ball of DAP or RTV.

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
Before putting additional holes in your Jeep I would make sure the lightbar isnt going to drive you nuts at speed...Over my Jeep years I have known many people that install a lightbar to take it off weeks later, they can make a TON of noise.

HankB

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport, Porsche Panamera 4S
Occupation
Retired
Waterproof through roof fittings are common for boats. These have been on 11 years and no leaks yet
Jeep Gladiator Wire Pass-thru for roof 5F2F360A-AC44-46D0-A28B-8F216DAE6D1F

While that might be the case, I would suggest finding an alternative route that does not involve permanently modifying your roof.

OP
OP
Mayhem 6

Mayhem 6

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Before putting additional holes in your Jeep I would make sure the lightbar isnt going to drive you nuts at speed...Over my Jeep years I have known many people that install a lightbar to take it off weeks later, they can make a TON of noise.
It's the same lightbar I've run on two previous jeeps...I haven't had any issues with the wind noise or humming. Plus, it will be mounted aft of the b-pillar...I'll likely get as much wind noise from the rack.

Waterproof through roof fittings are common for boats. These have been on 11 years and no leaks yet

While that might be the case, I would suggest finding an alternative route that does not involve permanently modifying your roof.
I was actually just looking at a West Marine catalogue. Some possible options there. I've got to drill the fiberglass for the rack regardless.

Sponsored

Vanishing Point

First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician
It's the same lightbar I've run on two previous jeeps...I haven't had any issues with the wind noise or humming. Plus, it will be mounted aft of the b-pillar...I'll likely get as much wind noise from the rack.

I was actually just looking at a West Marine catalogue. Some possible options there. I've got to drill the fiberglass for the rack regardless.
I figure that if you drill through a Freedom Panel at worst it's a $650 mistake. You can always get another one. Now $650 is nothing to sneeze at but at least you have a cap on your damages.

MajorUrsus

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Professional
Baptism Overland on YouTube did a video where he used the pass throughs from the boating world to install a solar panel. And he did a pretty nice job on the install in general.

MajorUrsus

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Professional
I figure that if you drill through a Freedom Panel at worst it's a $650 mistake. You can always get another one. Now $650 is nothing to sneeze at but at least you have a cap on your damages.
Or just go ahead and buy a used set of freedom panels anyway and drill through those. 🤷‍♂️

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I would look at coming off the rack and going down underneath to the engine compartment.
Exactly what I was thinking as well.
Sponsored