First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I carry bikes on a hitch mount rack and the bikes block the tail lights too much. It was not as much of an issue with my last three vehicles, but it is bad with the Jeep. I want to wire an extra set of brake and turn signals and mount them either on the rack or on my topper.
does anyone have a wiring diagram of the tail lights so I do not spend half the day with a multimeter trying to figure it out?
Sponsored

DavdZ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2016 Ural 2008 Mercury Mariner
I carry bikes on a hitch mount rack and the bikes block the tail lights too much. It was not as much of an issue with my last three vehicles, but it is bad with the Jeep. I want to wire an extra set of brake and turn signals and mount them either on the rack or on my topper.
does anyone have a wiring diagram of the tail lights so I do not spend half the day with a multimeter trying to figure it out?

DavdZ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2016 Ural 2008 Mercury Mariner
Maybe just get a wiring harness and plug into the trailer jack.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
OP
OP
Mtpisgah

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
@DavdZ I considered that but the wire would get in the way getting in the back of the truck.

017265A8-FBC1-40DF-96D0-0814096A87B5.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mtpisgah

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Given that you have a hitch mount rack, I'm assuming you have a tow-package with trailer wiring, and if so you could use a trailer side wiring harness (7-way RV round or 4-way flat).

The left/right tail light plugs diagrams for a JL should be the same for a JT.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/LAMP-ASSEMBLY-TAIL-LEFT-connector-details.pdf

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/LAMP-ASSEMBLY-TAIL-RIGHT-connector-details.pdf
Those diagrams are useful. I am going to pull the lights today and work on it.
Thanks

OP
OP
Mtpisgah

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
@Mtpisgah

Just tap into the wire harness for your 7 pin connector that runs along the wack of the JT... Why bother pulling tail lights and bastardizing those harnesses.
I like that idea a lot more, not sure why I did not think of it.
thanks.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The Curt harness works great for tapping into the lights, and keeps the factory harness from being hacked up or damaged. I used it when installing a set of reverse lights.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B007EA6...abc_KPRN8YW6R53K2690F5DG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

There's a variety of light sets and light strips available that connect to the trailer plug. I would find something to mount to the bike rack that just plugs in like a trailer.

OP
OP
Mtpisgah

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
@Mtpisgah

The harness in question runs across the whole back of the JT.
Just follow the harness, as it leaves the back of the 7 pin.
There is plenty enough slack in the harness, so you can easily work with / tap into wires there.

You could tap a few inches from the 7 pin itself,, but no slack there so a tad more of a hassle there.
I remember resetting it after installing the steel bumper. I will look at it closely tonight.

OP
OP
Mtpisgah

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
The Curt harness works great for tapping into the lights, and keeps the factory harness from being hacked up or damaged. I used it when installing a set of reverse lights.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B007EA6...abc_KPRN8YW6R53K2690F5DG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

There's a variety of light sets and light strips available that connect to the trailer plug. I would find something to mount to the bike rack that just plugs in like a trailer.
I will need to research the Kurt kits more. If I can get one that plugs into the Jeep plug and splits to the trailer light and then wherever I take the other one, that would ideal.

Sponsored

garzilla

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Engineer
If I'm only going to split off for the purpose of running brake lights off a sport bar, the curt 4 pin would be sufficient, right?

Then I could use a harness like this to run from the harness to the sport bar.

My reverse lights (Oracle) will have a harness to the tail lights.

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If I'm only going to split off for the purpose of running brake lights off a sport bar, the curt 4 pin would be sufficient, right?

My reverse lights (Oracle) will have a harness to the tail lights.
If you only need a brake light connection, the four pin plug should work.

fyrefight

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiaor Willys Snazzberry
Occupation
Utility Operator
I will need to research the Kurt kits more. If I can get one that plugs into the Jeep plug and splits to the trailer light and then wherever I take the other one, that would ideal.
I used the Curt harness to wire backup lights. It plugs in series under the bumper and you have all the wires there to wire any kind of lighting you want, including a charging circuit. Worked great for me.

OP
OP
Mtpisgah

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I used the Curt harness to wire backup lights. It plugs in series under the bumper and you have all the wires there to wire any kind of lighting you want, including a charging circuit. Worked great for me.
Yep, I did it about a month ago. The lights are visible when there are bikes on the back so it works great.

Lakefront5

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK lexus lleaf
Occupation
retired
I called curt this am they have a plug and play in the works but no release date. I'm trying to set mine up for flat tow. Really don't want to cut the wires yet..,
Sponsored