Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Insurance Producer, Field Underwriter
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy my first fridge for extended camping trips, looking into an ICECO 60L as my first trial run. I'm wondering how to wire this in as I'm using the one and only pre-existing 12V outlet for my brake controller and don't think the 115v bed outlet is the an option.

Thoughts and opinions welcome! Thanks!
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Get one of the high capacity battery boxes (Jackery, etc.) to connect the fridge to. Use the bed outlet to recharge the battery box. Leave it connected, and the fridge should never turn off and the battery box will be recharging whenever the engine is running. Use the outlet in the garage to charge the box and get the fridge cold, and then the draw on the battery box should not be too high. You will just have to remember to make sure the bed outlet is on whenever you start the truck.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
According to the manufacturer's documentation, that refrigerator uses less than 100W of power. You should be able to run it off of the JT's inverter (I'm assuming you have one, based on your comments.) Isn't there a 115VAC outlet on the rear of the center console?

Kevin

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
The Iceco I had could be powered both 12V and 110V, so you should be able to use the outlet in the bed.

OP
OP
ItsMrCutting

ItsMrCutting

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Get one of the high capacity battery boxes (Jackery, etc.) to connect the fridge to. Use the bed outlet to recharge the battery box. Leave it connected, and the fridge should never turn off and the battery box will be recharging whenever the engine is running. Use the outlet in the garage to charge the box and get the fridge cold, and then the draw on the battery box should not be too high. You will just have to remember to make sure the bed outlet is on whenever you start the truck.
thank you for this! I have been looking into the Jackery units as well, just trying to decide what option would be best, probably the 500W - I definitely see the point of pre-chilling the fridge before a trip so that's a good tip! As for remembering whether or not the outlet is on and will have power definitely comes down to muscle memory lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
ItsMrCutting

ItsMrCutting

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The Iceco I had could be powered both 12V and 110V, so you should be able to use the outlet in the bed.
very good to know, thank you!

OP
OP
ItsMrCutting

ItsMrCutting

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
According to the manufacturer's documentation, that refrigerator uses less than 100W of power. You should be able to run it off of the JT's inverter (I'm assuming you have one, based on your comments.) Isn't there a 115VAC outlet on the rear of the center console?

Kevin
I do have the inverter installed from the factory - as for the 115VAC, sadly I do not have one because I mistakenly overlooked getting that installed when I placed the order for the truck and it never came to fruition in production. That's going to be my next project for sure

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Just a heads up, but anytime your charge system changes from DC to AC and back you're wasting energy. Best option for conserving energy is to keep it DC power all the way from your main vehicle battery all the way to the fridge compressor.

Personally, I'd run a dedicated DC power cable from the battery to a DC input to a Jackery (or similar power station), and then run DC power from that to your fridge (usually the fridge and power station have a cigarette plug/socket).

A lot of power stations have built in smarts so that they won't draw from your vehicle battery after it's dropped to a certain voltage, so it protects you a bit from having a dead battery for starting your vehicle back up.

OP
OP
ItsMrCutting

ItsMrCutting

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just a heads up, but anytime your charge system changes from DC to AC and back you're wasting energy. Best option for conserving energy is to keep it DC power all the way from your main vehicle battery all the way to the fridge compressor.

Personally, I'd run a dedicated DC power cable from the battery to a DC input to a Jackery (or similar power station), and then run DC power from that to your fridge (usually the fridge and power station have a cigarette plug/socket).
oh very good point, never thought of that... I am getting the truck set up with a dual battery setup come late Winter/early Spring so that wouldn't be a bad idea at all

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
A lot of power stations have built in smarts so that they won't draw from your vehicle battery after it's dropped to a certain voltage, so it protects you a bit from having a dead battery for starting your vehicle back up.
Interesting. I have an Anker Powerhouse 800. 500watts max, it has Anderson terminals for solar charing. I wonder if I could integrate that.

Sponsored

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
oh very good point, never thought of that... I am getting the truck set up with a dual battery setup come late Winter/early Spring so that wouldn't be a bad idea at all
Make sure you buy high end deep cycle AGM batteries such as Odyssey or X2Power. They are around $300 each but worth it.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy my first fridge for extended camping trips, looking into an ICECO 60L as my first trial run. I'm wondering how to wire this in as I'm using the one and only pre-existing 12V outlet for my brake controller and don't think the 115v bed outlet is the an option.

Thoughts and opinions welcome! Thanks!
My setup needs to be portable and removable. I am running an Engel 35 with the new BLUETTI Portable Power Station EB70S 800W (Peak 1400W) Solar Generator 716Wh Backup LiFePo4 Battery - 2500 cycles or so. I have the fridge running full time with a portable setup because we still need the full bed once in a while. I plug in both the AC and DC into the Engel - using the AC plug in the bed. When the AC is running in the bed, it runs both the Engel and charges the Bluetti battery (using 200 watts for battery charging and 30 watts or so for the fridge). When the truck shuts off, the Engel switches automatically to DC. I really like the setup and have done some heavy 4wheeling and "badge of honors" with it already. Here are some pics.

k5Db1f.jpg

7AaamT.jpg

OP
OP
ItsMrCutting

ItsMrCutting

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Make sure you buy high end deep cycle AGM batteries such as Odyssey or X2Power. They are around $300 each but worth it.
already looking at the Odysseys, I've heard many great things! Any particular differences between the two?

OP
OP
ItsMrCutting

ItsMrCutting

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My setup needs to be portable and removable. I am running an Engel 35 with the new BLUETTI Portable Power Station EB70S 800W (Peak 1400W) Solar Generator 716Wh Backup LiFePo4 Battery - 2500 cycles or so. I have the fridge running full time with a portable setup because we still need the full bed once in a while. I plug in both the AC and DC into the Engel - using the AC plug in the bed. When the AC is running in the bed, it runs both the Engel and charges the Bluetti battery (using 200 watts for battery charging and 30 watts or so for the fridge). When the truck shuts off, the Engel switches automatically to DC. I really like the setup and have done some heavy 4wheeling and "badge of honors" with it already. Here are some pics.

Jeep Gladiator Wiring for new fridge 7AaamT

Jeep Gladiator Wiring for new fridge 7AaamT

NICE! I like that setup for sure, I'm looking for something removable, too as I don't want to take away the purpose of buying the Gladiator in the first place lol. How has that power station been treating you? What made you decide on that particular model over other brands?

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
already looking at the Odysseys, I've heard many great things! Any particular differences between the two?
I think X2 are a little better these days. Odyssey has moved manufacturing to less talented areas etc. X2 has an additional year of warranty. Both will perform.

I had an Odyssey Extreme in my wife's MDX fail under warranty. ETA on replacement was 1 month. What good is a warranty then? I bought an X2 Power and sold the replacement Odyssey when it came in 6 weeks later.
Sponsored