Sponsored

Wiring pair of generic aux lights (w/o wiring harness) to aux switches/BadgeGlow SimpleAux

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Just to preface, I don’t know much about wiring…

My JT has the aux switches from the factory, which I’ve hooked up the wire bundle under the hood to a BadgeGlow SimpleAux bridge board.

I plan to install a pair of generic LED aux cowl lights (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08F7PN4WX/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A37GTR2QYFEBF7&psc=1) and am curious as to the best way to wire them.

For starters, I will likely connect a Weather Pack or Deutche style connector to each aux light to allow for easier upgrades in the future.

I plan to connect the Aux lights to Aux switch 3. When I installed the BadgeGlow board, I was surprised to see that the wiring for aux 3 and aux 4 appeared to be 18ga.

At first, since the SimpleAux board uses screw terminals, I just planned on crimping and shrink wrapping a spade connector at the end of each lead from the aux lights and screw it down to the Aux 3 screw in the SimpleAux board.

Since the Aux 3 wire from the wire bundle was already such a light gauge, I didn’t know if there was any benefit in either connecting only one light’s positive cable directly to the Aux 3 of the SimpleAux board and t-tapping that line to the positive of the second light, or splice a Y connector—running positives from each light to a Y and then a single line to the SimpleAux board’s Aux 3 screw terminal.

I’m just curious what others have done for lights that don’t come with harnesses and are using the factory Aux switches.

Also, between the lights and the aux switches—what gauge should I run?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
I ran a pair of slimlights to my aux1 switch and 8 kc cyclones to aux 3 via the simple aux board. i used a ring connector so there is no way of it slipping out, that kinda bugged me about the spade connectors. LEDs barely draw anything, you'll be fine with that guage wire.

OP
OP
Delhux

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
I ran a pair of slimlights to my aux1 switch and 8 kc cyclones to aux 3 via the simple aux board. i used a ring connector so there is no way of it slipping out, that kinda bugged me about the spade connectors. LEDs barely draw anything, you'll be fine with that guage wire.
Good call, I’ll keep it simple and just go ring.
Sponsored