J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
Associated Press

United Auto Workers union members went on strike Saturday at the Stellantis casting plant in Indiana, citing health and safety issues including the company's alleged refusal to repair and replace the plant’s air conditioning and heating systems.

The 35-acre plant in Kokomo makes parts used in the power trains of Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and RAM vehicles and a long-term strike could affect vehicle assembly lines across North America.

Stellantis says production had not been scheduled for this weekend and it hoped to resume negotiations as soon as possible on a contract with striking UAW Local 1166.

In a statement, Stellantis said it was committed “to providing a safe and healthy work environment for all employees. After bargaining in good faith for two days and presenting an offer we believed addressed the union’s concerns, we are disappointed by the UAW’s decision to walk out.”

RMFSJT

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 K1500, 13 Focus ST, 23 JT Rubicon
Sounds right I got my check for my 23 yesterday so I have 90 days to use it. My JT is scheduled to ship 22 September for pick up at Gupton mid-October so I’m expecting a lot of dominoes to start falling causing delays like this that way I will be able to get a new check once my 90 days is up at hopefully a much higher interest rate.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Sounds right I got my check for my 23 yesterday so I have 90 days to use it. My JT is scheduled to ship 22 September for pick up at Gupton mid-October so I’m expecting a lot of dominoes to start falling causing delays like this that way I will be able to get a new check once my 90 days is up at hopefully a much higher interest rate.
If your JT is scheduled to ship in 12 days, this has nothing to do with yours.

This is JUST the casting plant and I don't believe the 3.6 or 3.0 are done there. I know the automatic transmission isn't done there.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
If your JT is scheduled to ship in 12 days, this has nothing to do with yours.

This is JUST the casting plant and I don't believe the 3.6 or 3.0 are done there. I know the automatic transmission isn't done there.
It really depends on how lean the plants are running. I would wager they have a stock of everything to bridge a gap like this, but often times things are planned so lean to avoid inventory from sitting that one disturbance immediately impacts downstream operations. Hopefully that's not the case here.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Kokomo Transmission Plant
2401 South Reed Road, Kokomo, Indiana, United States
Floor Space:
3.1 million square feet

Acreage: 110 acre site with casting plant

Products: Machining of engine block castings and transmission components (aluminum and steel); transmission assembly for the following:
  • 850RE: Jeep® Grand Cherokee, Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Durango and Ram 1500
  • 850RE GEN2: Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Gladiator
  • Machined components for the nine-speed transmission
  • Machined component for SIEVT transmission
https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=322&mid=
This information is for KTPN (Kokomo Transmission Plant North) they do assembly of transmissions there. This is NOT the plant that is on strike. The plant on strike is the Kokomo Castings Plant which is about 10 miles south of KTPN on old US 31.

It would take a couple or three months to empty KTPN of every transmission that is in the system. The place is huge.

The Kokomo Castings Plant along with KTPS both have gone through major retooling to put out the 2.0 engine. KTPS is now an engine assembly plant.

I have worked at all three plants extensively as an outside contractor and have gone through several retooling at all three plants.

Nuts and bolts of the strike, whomever wrote that article dumbed it down to what they understand. It isn't climate control (AC/heat) that is the major problem, it is ventilation.
If you've never been near a foundry/casting plant then you wouldn't understand, but fumes from molten metal is extremely dangerous. The casting plant has been doing nothing but band aids on their ventilation systems for years. This isn't some whiny BS, this is a valid complaint as the plant has had IOSHA problems because of it.

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
Kokomo Transmission Plant
2401 South Reed Road, Kokomo, Indiana, United States
Floor Space:
3.1 million square feet

Acreage: 110 acre site with casting plant

Products: Machining of engine block castings and transmission components (aluminum and steel); transmission assembly for the following:
  • 850RE: Jeep® Grand Cherokee, Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Durango and Ram 1500
  • 850RE GEN2: Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Gladiator
  • Machined components for the nine-speed transmission
  • Machined component for SIEVT transmission
https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=322&mid=
Question .. What Gladiator do you own?.. your profile is blocked

OP
OP
Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)