Sponsored

Working on a Katzkin install today and need some help.

OP
OP
Keila

Keila

First Name
Keila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 95 Tacoma, 09 Cayman S
Occupation
Horses
Yea. I went Bartract because this is going to turn into a work truck soon, but the Katzkins are really nice. Plus you have that little horse so....who's better than you? :like:
...I mean, nobody that I can think of, and at least this isn't my work truck so okden.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Keila

Keila

First Name
Keila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Horses
They look super wrinkly, hope that works itself out.
Are they the wrinkliest thing you've seen today?

That said, leather stretches out after install, as you'd know if you'd ever done a leather install which you obviously haven't so we can forgive your ignorance.

If mine remains the same as day one it's still probably better than yours, I'd guess, since at least I went ahead and did it ;)

OP
OP
Keila

Keila

First Name
Keila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Horses
Thanks for all the help

Thanks for your help! It will be just me but I’ll definitely refer back to this thread for help. It’s gonna be rough but I can’t wait to have leather. I went with the dark saddle brown/tan leather.
It took us about 20 hours. My bf is super mechanical but hadn't done upholstery before; I'm not mechanical but very strong.

Not having a very strong helper will suck. You're going to be doing headstands to get some of those hog rings in place.

But you totally can do it. Just allow yourself a ton of time for each seat.

If you put your questions here I'll try to help if I can, although I've mostly forgotten the horror already and started planning the install in my 95 Tacoma. It was pretty easy, right?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
No disrespect. I LOVE the little horse!
This is a great thread for anyone considering this.
I'm totally considering Katzkins.......installed by a professional. Kudos to you for doing this yourself, but I'm already stressed at work, don't need any more on the weekend. =)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Keila

Keila

First Name
Keila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Horses
No disrespect. I LOVE the little horse!
This is a great thread for anyone considering this.

His registered name will be Rubicon (my naming theme is California and it had to start with an R because the registry says so). His nickname is Jeep. He is for sale, if dressage horses with cute names are your thing.

I wanted to do an actual build thread but two things stopped me:

1. I didn't want to represent myself as an experienced installer whose word should be taken as gospel.
2. My BF kept telling me to put my phone down.

I will add more comments if I think of more to add, but it's all already a blur.

OP
OP
Keila

Keila

First Name
Keila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Horses
I'm totally considering Katzkins.......installed by a professional. Kudos to you for doing this yourself, but I'm already stressed at work, don't need any more on the weekend. =)
Oh absolutely don't do this if you don't want to. It's a lot of work and I'm sure the pros do a better job.

That said, I'm really happy with the quality of the product; I'll be really surprised if it doesn't last a very long time.

cobra935o

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Hydro, 2004 Porsche 911 40th AE, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 1974 Porsche 911 Targa, 1965 Mustang Fastback.
Occupation
Retired Air Force, AFJROTC Instructor
Not sure why all the hate, I am glad you are a leather expert and if it stretches it will only get worse, not better. I have done a leather install on a 911 (and several covers on Mustangs over the years) and where I had the wrinkles I went in and fixed them, several times to be exact, to get it right (using hog rings), not just throw shit on and hope it was right, so we wont talk about ignorance or anything else, I still hope that shit works itself out for you. I still can hardly believe your reply, sounds like it came from a 10yo.

That said, leather stretches out after install, as you'd know if you'd ever done a leather install which you obviously haven't so we can forgive your ignorance.

If mine remains the same as day one it's still probably better than yours, I'd guess, since at least I went ahead and did it ;)

Armyman247

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Can’t you steam the leather to get some of the wrinkles out? (Coming strictly from someone who knows nothing about upholstery)

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link

:CWL: Unfortunately not... lol...

Here is a link on "you tube" which shows you how to get those wrinkles out.

How To Remove Wrinkles & Improve Fit in a Custom Leather Seat Upholstery Install

Sponsored

OP
OP
Keila

Keila

First Name
Keila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Horses
Not sure why all the hate, I am glad you are a leather expert and if it stretches it will only get worse, not better. I have done a leather install on a 911 (and several covers on Mustangs over the years) and where I had the wrinkles I went in and fixed them, several times to be exact, to get it right (using hog rings), not just throw shit on and hope it was right, so we wont talk about ignorance or anything else, I still hope that shit works itself out for you. I still can hardly believe your reply, sounds like it came from a 10yo.
Ok.

Starting our next Katzkins in my Taco, in which we still ok boomer.

FB_IMG_1590212887689.jpg

Last edited:

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for sharing your journey.
Sponsored