Sponsored

Worst thing you’ve been hit by driving topless?

OldFloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Seeing all the posts about driving topless, thought I’d pose this question - what is the worst thing you’ve been hit with while the top was down? I’ll start:

Jeep - a wasp. In the forehead. At 50mph.

But that has nothing on what hit us while out in my Mustang convertible. Driving out to the coast to enjoy the sunset, and we’re going over a bridge over the Intercoastal. Car in front of us startled a pelican from its perch. It took off ponderously, and just as my car was passing underneath, it decided it could get extra lift if it evacuated its bowels.

Have you ever really smelled pelican crap? It isn’t pleasant...
Sponsored

fyrefight

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiaor Willys Snazzberry
Occupation
Utility Operator
Seeing all the posts about driving topless, thought I’d pose this question - what is the worst thing you’ve been hit with while the top was down? I’ll start:

Jeep - a wasp. In the forehead. At 50mph.

But that has nothing on what hit us while out in my Mustang convertible. Driving out to the coast to enjoy the sunset, and we’re going over a bridge over the Intercoastal. Car in front of us startled a pelican from its perch. It took off ponderously, and just as my car was passing underneath, it decided it could get extra lift if it evacuated its bowels.

Have you ever really smelled pelican crap? It isn’t pleasant...
Not Jeep related but... Once while in the military just finished waxing my truck and a pelican bombed it. Nasty as hell.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
No direct contact, but I came about 5 feet from hitting a deer with top and roof off. Good thing the brakes work. I had to come to a complete stop from 55 mph. Dang thing was never in a hurry to get out of the way.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Not Jeep related, but got hit in the arm pit by a bumblebee at 85-90 in a t-shirt on a bike. Dam near took me off the bike in pain and had a bruise for a couple weeks.

I don't ride in t-shirts any more no matter how hot it it. 😟

Sponsored

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
A sudden un predicted summer down pour that had other vehicles pulling off the road, tree limbs down, wind... so much rain in 10 minutes I had to pull the floor drains (happened in my jku)....

lesson learned, really wasn’t that bad. Kept moving (did slow down).

Since, I’ve actually been less worried about topless/doorless trips

SubiRubi

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Believe it or not.. A pencil thrown from a kid in a school bus at a red light.. Hit my wife in the head. #Truestory

Renoraines

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Mojave
Occupation
Oil and gas.
Not Jeep related, but got hit in the arm pit by a bumblebee at 85-90 in a t-shirt on a bike. Dam near took me off the bike in pain and had a bruise for a couple weeks.

I don't ride in t-shirts any more no matter how hot it it. 😟
That hurts like a mother. Did that with my arm out the window in my truck when I was younger. I did not like it one bit.

Sponsored

hobbsserv

First Name
K Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon white
Occupation
Business Owner
A Ticket!! Years ago as a youngster coming home one night from the beach. Had the top off and the windshield down on my old CJ7. Maybe even a few beers in. Got a ticket for not having eye protection. "Honest officer, my eyes are blood shot from not having eye protection, You said so right here on the ticket"

OP
OP
OldFloridaMan

OldFloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Not Jeep related but... Once while in the military just finished waxing my truck and a pelican bombed it. Nasty as hell.
I’m just glad neither of us were hit, and it was a miracle we weren’t - had a trail of pelican droppings running from passenger side hood to driver side rear end.

Picking pelican poop out of perforated leather is not fun either!

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I was driving my 1978 CJ-7, and it was a rag top, so the whole thing got naked in like 2 minutes. It was awesome. While driving on the highway one of the side-view mirrors came off the Jeep - flying through the air with some velocity. It clipped my buddy on the head (he was sitting in the back). So it wasn't me who was hit, but that's my best topless impact story.

My second best story was a near miss, not an impact. I'm driving topless down a steep winding 2-lane canyon behind an old International Scout, when the hood of the Scout just ripped right off the damn vehicle. It launched into the air and got incredible height. It was doing cartwheels in the air. I'm watching it like a hawk, and keeping an eye on the on-coming traffic in the next lane. The hood is coming down toward us, I swerve into the oncoming lane, avoid the falling hood, and swerve back to avoid an on-coming car. Like a Ninja :ninja:
Sponsored