Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I cant get the idea of going back to stock tires out of my head...Am i just dumb to think this would be worth it?

I keep reading on here, and other places, that the stock tire sizes are best for towing since they maintain the power for the max town and dont add any extra weight or anything. And, after looking at pictures, they dont look awful with the 2in lift and stock tires...

Am i way off here or would there be a benefit to going back to stock tire size?
Sponsored

Bremen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Sting Gray, 2017 VW Golf Alltrack
I'll looking at buying a set of take off wheels and will run 315/75/17 tires on them. I will keep the original wheels and tires and have two sets. I can run stock most of the time and switch to the bigger set when I hit trails.

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I am looking at no bigger than the stock of Rubi, the 285/70/17.
My thought is that Rubi tow with those and the other extra stuff at7k, Only 650 under max tow. Should be pretty solid towing there.

Not going bigger as it turns into a guessing game there, and I don't off road enough for anything bigger or want it lifted.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I cant get the idea of going back to stock tires out of my head...Am i just dumb to think this would be worth it?

I keep reading on here, and other places, that the stock tire sizes are best for towing since they maintain the power for the max town and dont add any extra weight or anything. And, after looking at pictures, they dont look awful with the 2in lift and stock tires...

I'd say if you don't off road it a bunch and you tow with it more then absolutely there would be benefits to running stock size tires. Smaller tires are definitely going to allow you to tow more with less strain on the transmission and keep you more in the proper gears. It all comes down to your needs. I had considered going back to 35's on mine but I think I'm just going to throw a set of light weight A/T 37's on because I know people say some of the M/Ts are as quiet as a A/T but I am finding that not to be the case especially once they get a little wear on them. I've been running these Goodyear MTRs and at first it was fine not to bad but after 17,000 miles they have gotten loud. I also rode in my buddies Jeep with Milestar pat MTs on and he's got about 26,000 miles on them and they are no where near as quiet as a BFG KO2. I think sometimes we think look over function and then start rethinking our decisions after the fact.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say if you don't off road it a bunch and you tow with it more then absolutely there would be benefits to running stock size tires. Smaller tires are definitely going to allow you to tow more with less strain on the transmission and keep you more in the proper gears. It all comes down to your needs. I had considered going back to 35's on mine but I think I'm just going to throw a set of light weight A/T 37's on because I know people say some of the M/Ts are as quiet as a A/T but I am finding that not to be the case especially once they get a little wear on them. I've been running these Goodyear MTRs and at first it was fine not to bad but after 17,000 miles they have gotten loud. I also rode in my buddies Jeep with Milestar pat MTs on and he's got about 26,000 miles on them and they are no where near as quiet as a BFG KO2. I think sometimes we think look over function and then start rethinking our decisions after the fact.
yea thats sort of where I am at. I went larger cause, ya know, jeep things. But i tried to stay conservative knowing I would be daily driving and towing. the 285/75/17 arent that bad, but I do pretty much just tow and drive on the beach.

compare.jpg

Sponsored

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I went from 33‘s on my Mojave to 35s and I am thinking when these wear out I might go back as well just to get better gas mileage. We do off-road but mostly just dirt roads and trails nothing serious and snow during winter

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
There's no real negatives on going back to stock, it's what the truck was designed for. You'll get best performance out of that for everything. Most people go up sizes because they think it looks good, not because they need it (let's face it, most people don't extreme off-road or rock crawl that much) or it helps them. I say get some nice wheels you like the look of, a nice set of tires if you don't like factory, and be done with them.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Just remember that the stock tires on Sport, Overland are flimsy as hell with paper thin sidewalls. Those are not ideal for towing, or really for any other use as they're more prone to flats.

The 32-33 inch size is ideal, but I'd still want a LT-D or LT-E tire personally if I was going to tow (which I do a lot of myself too).

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
You have Max Tow with 4.10's and are running Rubicon tires? ........like a stock Rubicon? Sounds fine to me. I tow 4,500 lbs. with my Rubicon on 35's with no issues.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Just remember that the stock tires on Sport, Overland are flimsy as hell with paper thin sidewalls. Those are not ideal for towing, or really for any other use as they're more prone to flats.

The 32-33 inch size is ideal, but I'd still want a LT-D or LT-E tire personally if I was going to tow (which I do a lot of myself too).
I was watching a video the other day that wasy saying how E rated tires were over rated when it comes to towing. They believed that the added weight and 10ply sidewalls were un necessary. But they didnt really site any info. Gave me a moment's pause where I considered an 8 ply next round of tires.

What makes you say the stock tires are flimsy? They seemed pretty good to me, just small.

Sponsored

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse

I think if you're main function is towing it's not a bad idea. Fully stock my JT Max Tow was still VERY capable off road. I might think about putting aggressive 32s like what comes stock with the Willys to get a little more closer to that "MaxTow" capacity.

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
I can think of only two advantages to big tires: Looks and serious offroading.

If you can get past those two requirements, then definitely scale back. If my truck was a daily driver I would probably have much smaller tires on it :)

Like others have said, the stock tires themselves aren't exactly the best, but the stock size/weight is optimal.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
If you have a lift it will affect your towing capability. By how much? Unknown. Jeep wouldn't commit to saying but several articles on the web say lifts and larger tires decrease towing capability. I think I did a thread on it last year

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I was watching a video the other day that wasy saying how E rated tires were over rated when it comes to towing. They believed that the added weight and 10ply sidewalls were un necessary. But they didnt really site any info. Gave me a moment's pause where I considered an 8 ply next round of tires.

What makes you say the stock tires are flimsy? They seemed pretty good to me, just small.
8-ply and 10-ply tires are overkill for a 1/2 ton truck. That's true. But as the old Michelin motto used to say, "there's so much riding on your tires." I'd rather have overkill than underkill while towing, especially with my family in the truck.

You will lose a little bit of fuel economy. Usually I see 1-2 MPG loss. But overall I would rather trade that for never having to change a flat on the side of a road.

As far as the stock tires, I've already had to replace one and my wife has had to replace 2 on her Jeep. When you pinch the sidewalls with your fingers it's down right scary. Paper thin. No wonder the stock tires weigh 33 lbs.! It's amazing that more people don't have flats or blowouts with those. OEs use the most lightweight tires they can possibly get away with. Afterall, they aren't going to be the ones changing your tires on the side of the highway, but they are going to be the ones paying CAFE fines if they don't hit fuel economy targets.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase

I agree, a stiffer sidewall for sure if your going to be towing over 3000lbs on a regular basis.
Sponsored