Sponsored

Worth trading in to go from 3.73 to 4.10?

djpinaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, Tesla Model 3
So some of this will be personal opinions, and depending on the cost to do so, but hoping to get some thoughts. I have a Sport S I leased last summer. It's not our daily drive. Leased with the intent of just using to do some LIGHT off-roading (it is leased...), use of a truck bed for occasionally hauling stuff, and eventually getting a camper for occasional camping trips. So for reasons too long to explain, we ended up purchasing a trailer larger than we planned in Oct.
I have the tow package. Trailer loaded as we usually travel is turning out to be ~5700 lbs. Tongue weight is around 500#, so slightly under the max numbers. So far it's hauled well. No sway. Pulls well at highway speeds. It's the little engine that could getting it up to speed on the freeway, but does well on relatively level terrain. We took our first trip which involved significant elevation climbs this weekend (2000' to 7500', Phoenix valley up the rim). It's rough. 45-50 mph and it's screamin'.
I don't know what it will cost me to get out of the lease, but assuming it's palatable, how much of a difference will it make going to the 4.10? We really like the Gladiator and not wanting to make a change to a larger truck.
Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
So some of this will be personal opinions, and depending on the cost to do so, but hoping to get some thoughts. I have a Sport S I leased last summer. It's not our daily drive. Leased with the intent of just using to do some LIGHT off-roading (it is leased...), use of a truck bed for occasionally hauling stuff, and eventually getting a camper for occasional camping trips. So for reasons too long to explain, we ended up purchasing a trailer larger than we planned in Oct.
I have the tow package. Trailer loaded as we usually travel is turning out to be ~5700 lbs. Tongue weight is around 500#, so slightly under the max numbers. So far it's hauled well. No sway. Pulls well at highway speeds. It's the little engine that could getting it up to speed on the freeway, but does well on relatively level terrain. We took our first trip which involved significant elevation climbs this weekend (2000' to 7500', Phoenix valley up the rim). It's rough. 45-50 mph and it's screamin'.
I don't know what it will cost me to get out of the lease, but assuming it's palatable, how much of a difference will it make going to the 4.10? We really like the Gladiator and not wanting to make a change to a larger truck.
The Max Tow is more than just the 4.10 gears; you get wider axles, larger alternator, heavy duty brakes and engine cooling (among a few other things). You also increase towing capacity from 4,500 lbs to 7,650 lbs.

Your JT can probably handle it well enough from a practical standpoint, but you're over the towing capacity enough that if something were to go wrong, insurance might get sticky with you.

I'd either trade up or not tow your current trailer. Only you can make the decision whether the penalty of breaking your current lease is worth it, however.

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
Tow rating for the standard tow package and the auto tranny is 6,000 #’s. The stick is rated at 4,500.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Tow rating for the standard tow package and the auto tranny is 6,000 #’s. The stick is rated at 4,500.
Hmm. I was looking at this, but I think you're right since I can't see how the Overland auto would be more than a Sport auto; I thought 4,500 lbs seemed low.

Jeep Gladiator Worth trading in to go from 3.73 to 4.10? Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 5.16.47 PM

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass Limited, Audi Q8
Manual and original spec sheets are misleading - this later came from Jeep and makes a lot more sense - so you have 6000 lbs. with the automatic sport or overland as long as have standard trailer tow package.

What it appears is they just listed the Sport S Rating with automatic and no factory tow package. They left out the line for Sport S with standard tow package (and went right to the Max Tow). So there is a line missing on the original spec. sheets for the standard factory tow package on the Sport S.

Its also misleading with the Overland and Rubicon lines even on this sheet - because you have to get the factory tow package to get these ratings - but it doesn't say with trailer tow package.

Jeep Gladiator Worth trading in to go from 3.73 to 4.10? tow ratings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't need the extra 600 lbs. of towing capacity, go ahead and get the Rubicon with the factory Class-IV towing package. It has everything a Max Tow has (bigger HD brakes, upgraded HD engine cooling, Class-IV tow package, Wide-Track D44's, 4.10 gears) but still has the lockers, sway bar disconnect, skid plates, Offroad Pages, and all the other Rubicon things.
Sponsored

Last edited: