Sponsored

Would a tune or gear change help bad MPG with 35 inch tires?

jcgoat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
I have 35's on my Gladiator Overland and the gas mileage is crap. Would a tune or gear change help?

c.jpg

b.jpg

a.jpg
Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
35's and 3.73's?

Urban usage?

Imma guess 13mpg

ETA : to answer your question gearing would help marginally yes, to 4.56 I would estimate 15-18 in urban use. Whether or not that is worth $1300ish to do or not is a question only you can answer.

Last edited:

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Service Member
I get 14 with mostly city driving even with it calibrated.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
3:73 are not the right gearing for 35" if your interested in milage.
Regear.
This is the main reason I opted for the Max Tow option. 4:10 gears so I could easily run 35's. I've seen very little milage drop. 19 city and as high as 20 highway if I stay under 65 MPH

Last edited:

Sponsored

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Regear.
This is the main reason I opted for the Max Tow option. 4:10 gears so I could easily run 35's. I've seen very little milage drop. 19 city and as high as 28 highway if I stay under 65 MPH
Your getting 28mpg on highway with 35s? Are you running a lift? I have mopar 2 inch lift and 35s on my rubicon gladiator and only get max 17 mpg on highway

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Regear.
This is the main reason I opted for the Max Tow option. 4:10 gears so I could easily run 35's. I've seen very little milage drop. 19 city and as high as 28 highway if I stay under 65 MPH
There is no way you could get 28mpgs on 35's with any gearing. Maybe 20-21 at the most. I don't like to call BS but that's what it is.

As far as the question being asked, tuning isn't going to anything for Gas Mileage, these things are tuned and setup from factory to get you the most out of your jeep you can get. If you put larger tires on mpgs are going to take a hit and with 3.73 gearing on 35's your going to see a nice hit. Regearing to 4.10 or 4.56 would get you closer to stock mpgs. That's the main reason I opted for Max Tow, I get pretty much 18.2-19.1 mpgs depending on how far I drive mine and if I stay under 80 mph. That's with it sitting like this

Jeep Gladiator Would a tune or gear change help bad MPG with 35 inch tires? PXL_20201219_123525410

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
you will get 18-20 mpg max, above 65 it drops quickly and is worse with 4:10 gears due to higher cruising rpm. The lower gears do much better in town as far as drive ability / acceleration is concerned.

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Mohave, '18 Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
I have 35's on my Gladiator Overland and the gas mileage is crap. Would a tune or gear change help?
Define "crap" (as in specific MPG). And what was it before the lift and 35s?

I seriously doubt either a tune or gear change would pay for itself by an increase over "crap".

Bigger tires and higher profile decrease MPG with weight and wind resistance.

Sponsored

DaddyG

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Site superintendent
Vehicle Showcase
I've been arguing on one of the FaceBook Jeep Gladiator sites with some idiot about that.....He told me he put 37's on his Gladiator Overland (.373 gearing) and didn't notice any performance decrease ! I told him he was "clinically dead" !

OP
OP
jcgoat

jcgoat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Define "crap" (as in specific MPG). And what was it before the lift and 35s?

I seriously doubt either a tune or gear change would pay for itself by an increase over "crap".

Bigger tires and higher profile decrease MPG with weight and wind resistance.
About 13MPG

OP
OP
jcgoat

jcgoat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
@jcgoat Did you reprogram for correct tire size? What is considered crap to you?
No, I bought it this way off the lot. It has not been programmed. It was brand new - dealer added the 35's and lift.

OP
OP
jcgoat

jcgoat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
It seems like people on here get offended by the word crap when referring to gas mileage. :)

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow; 2020 Chevy Silverado Duramax 3500
It seems like people on here get offended by the word crap when referring to gas mileage. :)
I don’t think it’s the word that’s offensive. I think it’s the fact that people buy a Jeep Truck and put bigger, heavier tires and add more weight via bumpers, etc and expect to get good mileage. Lol. I’ve always heard the same argument with trucks. I have never bought a truck and expected good gas mileage. I buy trucks for a purpose. The fuel mileage is what it is. I bought a Jeep truck because it is fun and functional. I wouldn’t care if it got 8 mpg. I would still buy it. Nothing I drive is this fun or functional!
Sponsored