Sponsored

Would you do the Steering TSB if yours drove like this?

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Almost 16,000 miles on mine and it's smooth as butter on the interstate at 70-80 mph. I don't drive much faster than that unless I got to get on it to get around someone. I really love how it drives and handles, so I'm throwing it out there because I can get the TSB done down the road if need be but I don't feel the need to do it right now. What are are y'all's thoughts on it.

For reference my dealership has noted that I asked about the TSB and I have printed statements from them that if a problem does come up they will fix it at no cost to me, even outside of warranty.

Sponsored

db305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Max Tow
if you like how it drives then that's really up to you because the tsb is shockingly effective at changing how the vehicle feels (at least when done correctly). i didn't mind it either in hour-ish drives, but having to actively steer/correct on straights about 5 hours into a road trip from houston to virginia made the decision very quickly for me.

JET222

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
There was no way I could remove my hands before I had the TSB done. I bought mine a bit away from me, so I had to drive it home on the highway, and immediately noticed the constant wandering. I happened upon the TSB, and it clicked. Now it is possible for me to take my hands off the wheel without side swiping a semi on the highway.

Sponsored

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 911 C2S
I dont know if Ill be getting mine done since it handles similarly to yours. In all honesty, I have a feeling no dealer will help since mine is lifted with Mopar lift and 37s but I may try it at my first oil change.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I dont know if Ill be getting mine done since it handles similarly to yours. In all honesty, I have a feeling no dealer will help since mine is lifted with Mopar lift and 37s but I may try it at my first oil change.
I got the 2.5" SST Readylift kit installed on mine plus Rubicon take off springs up front and Rubicon Fox Shocks. Also installed a Fox Steering Stabilizer but have contemplated removing it because it really didn't do anything. I bought just to match the shocks and to see if it would make any difference but it was already driving great without it and I saw no improvement. Also riding on 315 70 17 BFG KO2s. My dealership had no problem saying they would do it if I saw a issue on the future. Until I do I think I want mess with it, I would hate to mess up a good thing.

How it sits right now

Jeep Gladiator Would you do the Steering TSB if yours drove like this? PXL_20200913_173326147

Also drove it on a 6hr trip to Elizabeth City back in April and had the lift and tires on it then. My wife actually drove while I rode shotgun and all she did was rave about how great it drove in comparison to my JKU I sold.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
if you like how it drives then that's really up to you because the tsb is shockingly effective at changing how the vehicle feels (at least when done correctly). i didn't mind it either in hour-ish drives, but having to actively steer/correct on straights about 5 hours into a road trip from houston to virginia made the decision very quickly for me.
I have zero wandering issues on mine, I drive with one hand and sometimes a knee, LOL, just saying it steers and drives awesome.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Yeah mine drives similarly. The speed doesn't make much of a difference for me. The lanes on the interstate are a nice 12' wide whereas we have a few narrower ones in town that I feel I'm more likely to swap paint with someone.

The thing that bugs me more than pulling is not being able to hold the wheel still at any point on a straight section of road. The corrections are very minor but they're still there. Not likely to actually veer out of the lane at any point but would look like I'm drifting around if you were following behind me.

edit: I should clarify I don't feel like it's an issue that needs immediate correction, but it's not what I would call great either.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah mine drives similarly. The speed doesn't make much of a difference for me. The lanes on the interstate are a nice 12' wide whereas we have a few narrower ones in town that I feel I'm more likely to swap paint with someone.

The thing that bugs me more than pulling is not being able to hold the wheel still at any point on a straight section of road. The corrections are very minor but they're still there. Not likely to actually veer out of the lane at any point but would look like I'm drifting around if you were following behind me.

edit: I should clarify I don't feel like it's an issue that needs immediate correction, but it's not what I would call great either.
I don't ever have to correct mine so maybe there is a issue going on with yours, not saying there is but on a straight section I can take my hand off the wheel and it will stay straight as a arrow. I just sit back and drive, I rarely even worry about or think about the steering. Only time is when I'm close to a semi or when it's pouring down rain to the point I can't see what's in front of me,.other than that I just drive it. If I was having to correct a bunch or any at all I'd be probably doing it. I wonder how many people are having no issues at all like me.

Sponsored

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
It's hard to describe without a video I guess. I watched the top video you posted and it sort of looked like the wheel was moving (a bit, not a lot) once you put your hand back on it. It could have been the camera moving or the road for that matter. It's minor enough for me that I feel like it could indeed "just be a jeep thing" but then you see how bad other people have it and start to wonder if it would drive better with a new one.

I have seen a few of the posts where the wheel was turned 5-10°+ without moving the vehicle... I'll let them get the first run of replacements.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I really love how it drives and handles, so I'm throwing it out there because I can get the TSB done down the road if need be but I don't feel the need to do it right now. What are are y'all's thoughts on it.
This is what I've been saying. Mine handles beautifully, no play, no wander, tracks straight. Surely no one thinks that all the 2020 Gladiators had bad steering? It ain't broke, why should I fix it?

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
It's hard to describe without a video I guess. I watched the top video you posted and it sort of looked like the wheel was moving (a bit, not a lot) once you put your hand back on it. It could have been the camera moving or the road for that matter. It's minor enough for me that I feel like it could indeed "just be a jeep thing" but then you see how bad other people have it and start to wonder if it would drive better with a new one.

I have seen a few of the posts where the wheel was turned 5-10°+ without moving the vehicle... I'll let them get the first run of replacements.
That's me trying to hold the camera and drive at the same time, multi tasking

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Maybe I am also one of the lucky ones. Maybe it's because I previously drove a lifted JK, and a lifted TJ. I don't know, but I think my 2020 JTR drives great. I checked, and I also have the old aluminum steering box.
Mine goes in for its first oil change the first week in December. I will ask about the TSB...maybe.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I am also one of the lucky ones. Maybe it's because I previously drove a lifted JK, and a lifted TJ. I don't know, but I think my 2020 JTR drives great. I checked, and I also have the old aluminum steering box.
Mine goes in for its first oil change the first week in December. I will ask about the TSB...maybe.
I think it's just it's driving great. I have my doubts that all of them are crappy, no one I know in my area locally has experienced any problems. There is a problem for sure, I'm curious how big it really is of a issue.
Sponsored