• Total voters

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Let's play Would You Rather (which is a pretty good party game, though it's no Cards Against Humanity :)).

Assuming you had the choice for the same purchase price, would you rather have the 5.7 Hemi or the 3.0 Ecodiesel?
Sponsored

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hemi with today's combustion chamber technology and other engine improvements is mostly a marketing word these days.
I'll keep a gas engine that matches my needs.
I might prefer to have something in the 4.0 to 4.5 range, but 5.7 is gross-overkill for a truck this size, hemi is just a word these days, and I have no need for diesel with my driving needs.
That'll piss the hemi guys off but even magazine reviewers have said it recently - it's a buzzword in recent years. It used to be unique, compared to all the wedge chambers. Not any more.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I would never be pissed off at someone else’s opinion. They are entitled to it.

That said, I have a 6.4L hemi in my Rubi and it is awesome!!!

The 3.6 was plenty peppy and suitable. I have no issue with it, however, I think FCA made an error not offering a V8 option that would allow EVERYONE to live their opinion in their truck.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I agree a bit more engine as an option would be good.
Towing my empty trailer was, well, enlightening. I could imagine having even 40 more HP would have been huge.

The 5.3 liter LS at 315 HP in my Chevy had to kick down gears constantly to tow my other trailer and car.
But it hauled my trailer EMPTY like it wasn't even there.
My JT struggled on hills with that 1500 pounds behind it. So having a bit larger engine would be nice.
I'd not want anything at large as what my Chevy had as that would be more than needed in the lighter, smaller, JT.

I agree FCA should offer a bit more engine, it's a truck and they offer it with TOWING ability.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
My dream: 300 ci/5L long stroke straight-6 torquey gas engine.

My reality: 3.6L V6 plenty good nuff for my JT needs.

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
For most applications a V8 is a waste of money.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This is an excellent question, and it's a very tough call in my opinion.

I've had diesel Jeeps, V8s, etc. The diesel is without question better for overall driveability. Having more torque AND having it all below 2,500 RPM means that the transmission rarely has to downshift. This creates a driving experience that you can't describe to someone who's never felt it. It's so... relaxed. Calm. Pleasant. Diesels also are capable of higher MPG numbers when not towing/working hard. The penalty is cost.

On the flip side, the Hemi also makes over 400 lbs/ft of torque BUT it has significantly more horsepower to go along with that which makes it a lot faster and a lot more fun. It also sips cheap fuel, is easy to work on compared to a diesel, has no regen process to go through, no DPF to fool with, is less expensive to service and maintain, has a far better track record, and sounds like heaven flowing through an aftermarket exhaust. The only penalty is that they generally get 14-16 MPG.

It's a really tough call. But if I could only pick one, I guess I'd go Hemi.

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Wouldn't do either without a manual option. Would do the diesel with the 6-speed... if they got the tow rating back up somehow.
You’d have to go with the Rubicon again... all the running gear of the max tow without the auto!
I have to agree with WXman- I’d rather avoid the high cost of the diesel but the Hemi might be too much. How bout something in a straight 6?

OP
OP

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Would more torque eliminate the need (to a point) to regear for larger tires/lifts?

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
Yeah, its got a Hemi... As long as it came with whatever axle or other upgrades would be necessary to support the bigger engine.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Would more torque eliminate the need (to a point) to regear for larger tires/lifts?
Yep, but as Canyonrat pointed out, at a certain point you've got to start upgrading driveline parts. The reason these little Dana 35 and 44 axles hold up to 35" and 37" tires is because the Pentastar doesn't make any torque. Very little input torque is very gentle on components.

Once you start ratcheting the torque input up, suddenly those same 35" and 37" tires become too much for the driveline to bear and things start to snap. The 5.7L Hemi is a 58% increase in torque. The Jeep-tuned EcoDiesel is a 70% increase in torque. That's a pretty big deal.

I doubt that we'll see the EcoDiesel guys running 38s on stock axles like we've gotten accustomed to. And I think re-gearing the axles to 5.13s will make the problem worse because then you're increasing effective input even more AND you're reducing the number of teeth that are meshed together at any given point in time. It's a bad combo. Those guys will need deep pockets to be able to afford the $4,000 engine AND the multi-thousand dollar axle upgrades.
Sponsored