Sponsored

Wouldn't you know it, my son likes big hoops......bumpers

What size hoops do you like?

• Total voters

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I almost died asking my 5 year old about which bumper to get. Can't blame him, I can't decide either, that's why i'm asking him.

Talking about the hoops/stingers he goes, "well daddy I like all of them, big ones, small ones, ones in-between, even humongous ones"

Like father like son......

So here's my dilemma. I think I like the aggressive look of the stubby bumpers the most, but that wide SRC by smittybilt definately has an overlanding/safari kinda look to it that's cool.

My truck for the next 3 years will not climb rocks (i know i'm a poser with these bumpers). I may get into that after i get my Gator one in 2-3 years.

I'll have just a sport S so the bumper would have to get replaced if i went with a Rubicon/Maximus setup. I know the addictive desert design ones are like twice the cost of the smittybilt, but they still look badass.

I think some of the bigger hoops will block the off-road front cam on a Rubicon, but i won't have that for 2-3 years anyways, so that shouldn't be of concern.

Is it illegal to drive on road without bumper covering the wheels?

Thoughts fellas?

Ugh, help me decide.

1. Steel Rubicon Bumper 73 lbs
    2.jpg
    Jeep Gladiator Wouldn't you know it, my son likes big hoops......bumpers {filename}
  2. Smittybilt SRC gen2 155lbs
    Jeep Gladiator Wouldn't you know it, my son likes big hoops......bumpers {filename}
  3. ARB Regular with Bull Bar
  4. Redrock 4x4 crawler max63.8lbs
  5. Redrock 4x4 Crawler
  6. ARB Bondi Deluxe - not yet available for JL
  7. Barricade Alloy
  8. BodyArmor 4x4 front winch bumper
  9. expedition one trail series 2 full width 10,000lb winch 100lbs $1489
  10. JCR Vanguard Full Width
  11. Metalcloak
  12. Smittybilt xrc atlas, not yet available for JL
  13. Warn Elite Full Bumper
  14. Westin WJ2
  15. addictive desert designs stealth fighter

16. DV8 FS1
  17. Rugged Ridge HD Bumper full width
  18. Quadratec Full width 115lbs
Stinger type or too small type (don't think I can go with because of state regs)
  1. Mopar/Maximus 3 stinger
  2. Smittybilt XRC gen2
  3. addictive desert designs rock fighter

4. Quadratec Stubby

5. Artec Industries JL Nighthawk
  6. Metalcloak Mid Stinger front with light wings
  7. Addictive Desert Designs Stinger

View attachment 17709

Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

LidLess07X

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Recon, 2001 TJ Sport, 2018 Mustang GT PP1 with Roush S.C.
EVO Quarter Pounder

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
For your question asking if you can drive with a stubby bumper, it depends. Most states I believe require the bumper to be body width. This in turn is very debatable for many: the body itself or are the fenders/wheels considered the body too?

I have been driving along with a stubby for 5 years and have never had any issues.

I would also look at Metalcloak bumpers. They are modular so if you get one, and get bored of it later on you can change the length of it by simply buying the end caps. Bumpers look great as well. Super rugged and you can slowly add onto it the closer you get to actually wheeling it.

Hope that helps!

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
For your question asking if you can drive with a stubby bumper, it depends. Most states I believe require the bumper to be body width. This in turn is very debatable for many: the body itself or are the fenders/wheels considered the body too?

I have been driving along with a stubby for 5 years and have never had any issues.

I would also look at Metalcloak bumpers. They are modular so if you get one, and get bored of it later on you can change the length of it by simply buying the end caps. Bumpers look great as well. Super rugged and you can slowly add onto it the closer you get to actually wheeling it.

Hope that helps!
Thanks, I've looked at metalcloak fenders, duh, should look at their bumpers too.

Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I've looked at metalcloak fenders, duh, should look at their bumpers too.
Haha yea man, quality stuff. Luckily the JL bumpers fit so you have plenty to look at, which also include ones that keep the stock fog lights if you want to.

I feel like i'm pushing Metalcloak on every thread but I swear I have no affiliation with them besides using their products and loving them more than any other company out there when it comes to hardware for a jeep.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I think it boils down to 2 main concerns. For now I am not getting a Gladiator, back burner idea for now. But if I were to get one then I would search high and low for this front bumper from a recent Jeep concept truck, or at least something with this rocking look.

First concern is if cops could give me tickets over and over again for having an illegal bumper. I could see getting even more tickets in other states during road trips to other states.

And the second concern is if I could be sued for damages from a car accident. As you know there’s damages to the other car and then there’s a persons body damages plus pain and suffering. We all see the adds on TV day after day from personal injury attorneys.

How much extra could actually be attributed to such stubby bumpers is a fifty million dollar question. No clue but I can’t help but wonder especially since I see such bumpers on Wranglers every day.

Anyone know about these 2 concerns? Love to hear opinions about this.

And please no bad comments about personal injury attorneys. They have a job to do and quite often people need to be forced to pay for their bad actions. So please let’s not make this a discussion about people having to be sued. It’s about the possibility that we all could be sued by having such front bumpers.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And the second concern is if I could be sued for damages from a car accident.
I was wondering about this too.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
I was wondering about this too.
FWIW, my plan is to get a bumper like the mopar or metalcloaks that has removable wings. That way I can leave them on during daily driving and take them off when I hit the trail.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I agree with you. That may be the best and safest way to go. Have seen the Jeep brand front bumper with the end sections that can be removed, look ok but doesn’t look fantastic. Would love to see what the Metalcloaks bumper looks like. I checked their web site and could not find what I think you are talking about. Please post pictures with the end caps on and off. This is the way to go if you don’t want piles of traffic tickets or if there’s a remote chance of being sued for liability for having such a front bumper.

FWIW, my plan is to get a bumper like the mopar or metalcloaks that has removable wings. That way I can leave them on during daily driving and take them off when I hit the trail.

Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it boils down to 2 main concerns. For now I am not getting a Gladiator, back burner idea for now. But if I were to get one then I would search high and low for this front bumper from a recent Jeep concept truck, or at least something with this rocking look.

First concern is if cops could give me tickets over and over again for having an illegal bumper. I could see getting even more tickets in other states during road trips to other states.

And the second concern is if I could be sued for damages from a car accident. As you know there’s damages to the other car and then there’s a persons body damages plus pain and suffering. We all see the adds on TV day after day from personal injury attorneys.

How much extra could actually be attributed to such stubby bumpers is a fifty million dollar question. No clue but I can’t help but wonder especially since I see such bumpers on Wranglers every day.

Anyone know about these 2 concerns? Love to hear opinions about this.

And please no bad comments about personal injury attorneys. They have a job to do and quite often people need to be forced to pay for their bad actions. So please let’s not make this a discussion about people having to be sued. It’s about the possibility that we all could be sued by having such front bumpers.

I do not know about the stingers so I can not comment on that.

Something like a bull bar is perfectly fine though as it does not protrude out, it simply protects your grill (like all those metal grill protectors you see on Fords, Chevys, etc) or we all would know grill protectors would be illegal.

As for getting the stubby bumper, that is all on your state laws. If I drive over to a different state that requires you to have a front bumper that covers you tires, and your tires can not be past your fenders I can not get a ticket as I am just passing through and those states can not overstep the laws of the state my vehicle is registered in.

There is a reason why people from PA do not get pulled over for front tinted windows in NJ (where it is illegal to have front tinted windows) because NJ can not ticket PA drivers for that.

Note: Do not take this as legal advice. This is what I have been told by local law enforcement as well as people in my jeep club but, none of them are lawyers so I can not guarantee that this is 100% accurate.

Personally, I have driven all over the east coast and midwest with my jeep as is, in multiple states where mods I have done would be "illegal" passing and even stopping next to many cops. Never got pulled over, never got a ticket. No issues ever.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with you. That may be the best and safest way to go. Have seen the Jeep brand front bumper with the end sections that can be removed, look ok but doesn’t look fantastic. Would love to see what the Metalcloaks bumper looks like. I checked their web site and could not find what I think you are talking about. Please post pictures with the end caps on and off. This is the way to go if you don’t want piles of traffic tickets or if there’s a remote chance of being sued for liability for having such a front bumper.

This bumper has the stubby caps (crawler caps)
https://metalcloak.com/frame-built-bumper-2200-jl-wrangler.html

These are the crawler caps:
https://metalcloak.com/46-crawler-caps-jk-jl.html

But you can always buy separately the "Light caps" to extend the bumper longer for road use:
https://metalcloak.com/56-light-caps-jk-jl.html

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like this, i've added it and the artec to my list. UGH, can't decide, lol.
I hear ya.

I cant wait for this coming weekend to put my MC bumper on (been sitting in my garage for too long :( ). I can post up pictures of it on my JK so you guys can see how it is with the stubby bumper on the front of a JK with MC fenders and 35's.

Edit:

For anyone not fully understanding how the caps can change out:

When looking at the tow hooks on the front, there are 4 bolts that surround it. Those bolts hold the caps on so changing them is just removing those 4 and putting shorter/longer ones on (or just not even having them on if you like the bumper without).
Sponsored