First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
Ok... I know there are some "Tim the tool man" or "heidi" types on this forum.

So I need some help/advice/recommendations.

I'm looking to purchase a RECHARGEABLE BATTERY powered Impact Driver or Wrench. The primary usage would be to wrench on the Jeep and other vehicles.

I have a corded and two air powered drivers now. So do I really need a rechargeable ? I think so. It's nice to break away from an extention cord or air hose.... so yeah a nice battery powered inpact might just be the ticket.

What are you guys/gals using ?
Do you feel it's powerful enough for some of the torque specs of the JT ?
18v , 20v or higher ?
3/8 or 1/2 ?
Do I really need to spend $300 ?

I'm sure there are more questions to ask... but you get the idea, so
I would really like to hear your answers, input, experience and get some recommendations.

Pictures are a plus.

TIA

What I currently own.

12v power cord
Jeep Gladiator WOW - What an IMPACT ! 20230519_124713

Air Compressor Powered
Jeep Gladiator WOW - What an IMPACT ! 20230519_124524
Jeep Gladiator WOW - What an IMPACT ! 20230519_124540
Sponsored

TTU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Willys
Has that bauer been a good impact for you? I have a lot of basic harbor freight tools but I'm hesitant to make a power tool purchase.

Sorry I don't have an answer for a battery operated impact. Seems most people point to the $300 range and for minimal usage I felt my money was better off spent some where else. So far breaker bar has worked for me.

firemarshallvin

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR
Occupation
Engineer/Firefighter
no pic avail at the moment, but I've been using a Milwaukee 1/2" HD impact and love it. The only downside is it's size, but damn is she powerful. I use it for all tire rotations on the regular and it was a god send when I installed the lift. I'm a Milwaukee fan boy so that's why I chose it, but am so because of the faith and experience I've had with their tools over the years and never have issues. Good luck.

K1w1t1m

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Program Manager
I bought the M18 in the post above. It out did my air impact and other battery impacts when I had to do some work on my tractor.

Sponsored

Not2Late

First Name
Tarik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2017 Jeep JK
Occupation
Education
You can never have enough tools (as long as the wife doesn't catch on)! I went cordless with just about everything. I started building out my Makita "collection" so I can use batteries interchangeably. Here are my cordless impacts and a a really handy 3/8" (also does 1/4") ratchet. The big one is so poweful, I ended up getting the one that is a little smaller. It is also more compact to get into tight places under the jeep. One of the really cool features is that you can set it to stop racheting as soon as the nut just begins to tighten/contacts the surface. That way you can zip them on and then hand-tighten with a torque wrench.

Jeep Gladiator WOW - What an IMPACT ! IMG_4175

OP
OP
SargeDiesel

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Has that bauer been a good impact for you? I have a lot of basic harbor freight tools but I'm hesitant to make a power tool purchase.

Sorry I don't have an answer for a battery operated impact. Seems most people point to the $300 range and for minimal usage I felt my money was better off spent some where else. So far breaker bar has worked for me.
I haven't used it heavily... lug nuts, frame bolts and such. Haven't had any issues so far. Bauer has some rechargeable impacts that aren't cheap.... I've been looking at those because of the performance I've gotten from their 12v. Harbor Freight power tools have come a long way in the last 5 years or so... if you're hesitant, buy the warranty and you will probably still be well under a major brands price.

OP
OP
SargeDiesel

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
no pic avail at the moment, but I've been using a Milwaukee 1/2" HD impact and love it. The only downside is it's size, but damn is she powerful. I use it for all tire rotations on the regular and it was a god send when I installed the lift. I'm a Milwaukee fan boy so that's why I chose it, but am so because of the faith and experience I've had with their tools over the years and never have issues. Good luck.
What voltage and mah battery do you use ?

OP
OP
SargeDiesel

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
You can never have enough tools (as long as the wife doesn't catch on)! I went cordless with just about everything. I started building out my Makita "collection" so I can use batteries interchangeably. Here are my cordless impacts and a a really handy 3/8" (also does 1/4") ratchet. The big one is so poweful, I ended up getting the one that is a little smaller. It is also more compact to get into tight places under the jeep. One of the really cool features is that you can set it to stop racheting as soon as the nut just begins to tighten/contacts the surface. That way you can zip them on and then hand-tighten with a torque wrench.

Jeep Gladiator WOW - What an IMPACT ! IMG_4175
Is the wrench comparable in power to the drivers ?

Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
If you want 1 battery powered impact, the current king is by far the DeWalt 891/2. It will take every bolt off the JT and it's only a midsize so it fits in to more spots easier. There is also the big bruiser of the DeWalt high torque 900 (not 901) but for the JT it's over kill.

The torque test channel on YouTube tested all off the brands and the current gen Dewalts just mop the floor with everyone else right now.

Not2Late

First Name
Tarik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2017 Jeep JK
Occupation
Education
Is the wrench comparable in power to the drivers ?
No, the smaller wrench maxes out around 50ft lbs. Really just good for loosening long bolts and nuts through long bolts once they are loose and you don't want to sit there and hand-ratchet back and forth! Worked great for the almost hundred bolts for my trim rings on my wheels.