First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Started diesel. Drove down the street. Diesel died. Any idea what oil pressure a diesel is supposed to run at. When I tried to restart. The oil pressure read nothing. 4500ish miles :swear::swear::swear::angry:
Sponsored

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Started diesel. Drove down the street. Diesel died. Any idea what oil pressure a diesel is supposed to run at. When I tried to restart. The oil pressure read nothing. 4500ish miles :swear::swear::swear::angry:
Little longer video of me trying to start it back up.

hazards280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Mojave, 19' Giulia, 64' Cobra
The sound does come across as a rod knock at first, but... take a listen to the attached video below. I owned a JL Diesel before buying my Mojave and recalled someone having a similar situation. In their case it was a failed clamp from the cat to the transmission causing a rattle sound. The two videos sounds very similar.

To answer your question about oil pressure. I personally encountered an issue where my JL would start up and show zero oil pressure. I immediately shut it off, did my checks and restarted it, but the problem immediately went away and oil pressure was great. I asked around and folks mentioned that the EcoDiesel doesn't have a traditional oil pressure sensor, and instead calculated figure (don't ask me how). At times, the sensor it uses can be faulty from the factory and cause misreads. Before taking it to the dealer, I checked my oil again and found I was a 1/2 quart low, added oil, and it never came back for the 10k additional miles I drove it.

Forum Post: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2021-eco-diesel-suddenly-much-louder.61174/

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
general rule of thumb, 10 psi for every 1000 rpms.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
with that sound let it blow its self up, it's got a warranty to 36,000 3 years

Sponsored

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
The sound does come across as a rod knock at first, but... take a listen to the attached video below. I owned a JL Diesel before buying my Mojave and recalled someone having a similar situation. In their case it was a failed clamp from the cat to the transmission causing a rattle sound. The two videos sounds very similar.

To answer your question about oil pressure. I personally encountered an issue where my JL would start up and show zero oil pressure. I immediately shut it off, did my checks and restarted it, but the problem immediately went away and oil pressure was great. I asked around and folks mentioned that the EcoDiesel doesn't have a traditional oil pressure sensor, and instead calculated figure (don't ask me how). At times, the sensor it uses can be faulty from the factory and cause misreads. Before taking it to the dealer, I checked my oil again and found I was a 1/2 quart low, added oil, and it never came back for the 10k additional miles I drove it.

Forum Post: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2021-eco-diesel-suddenly-much-louder.61174/

Ok sounds similar. I give you that. Would yours start? Mine doesn't even do that. When I started it at the house. Ran fine. Drove out the driveway. Got down the street like 600 ft. And it died. Won't start at all! Engine light came on too.

hazards280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Mojave, 19' Giulia, 64' Cobra
Ok sounds similar. I give you that. Would yours start? Mine doesn't even do that. When I started it at the house. Ran fine. Drove out the driveway. Got down the street like 600 ft. And it died. Won't start at all! Engine light came on too.
Mine ran fine with the low oil pressure light, and started up directly after as well. Given the engine light, and fail to start I would be getting in touch with your local dealer in the morning and seeing if they can flatbed it there for troubleshooting. I wish you the absolute best man, definitely not a fun situation but this is Jeep's time to take care of you and put that warranty to work.

Hopefully it's not what we're all thinking, but even if it is, they'll get it sorted out.

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Last edited:

Sponsored

OldButStillJeeping

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, '92 Jeep YJ, 2017 F250 4WD
Here's a shot in the dark..

The no start issue can be related to the Regen system. A faulty sensor, or a sensor reading an error, especially in the exhaust, would throw a code my 2014 F250 diesel and force it to shut off. It would not restart, by design, and had to be towed to a dealer for sensor replacement and dealer resetting the computer. The F250 even said that on the dash.

It does sound just like the sound @hazards280 posted. I would bet any exhaust leak, like a loose exhaust component, would throw a code thru a sensor showing an error.
The pollution control police don't mess around when it comes to diesel, and they mandate specific 'shut down' protocols to manufacturers if an error is read.

Are you getting any dash messages?

Last edited:

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
Check that the oil cap is on tight. I know it sounds stupid but I had a similar issue that was ultimately found to be due to a busted oil cap allowing air to be sucked into the engine constantly. This was not on a jeep however
Sponsored