Sponsored

XL RTT - Extend over cab or stick out the back?

jsyn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I'm planning to put a Skycamper 2.0 on my JT. That's a massive 7'2" long hardshell tent. The bed of a JT is only 5'. I currently have a JCR almost-full-height bed rack, but the top of it is roughly 2.75" below the highest point of a JT's hard top, so it's not really full height.

The tent is too big to only be over the bed. Any advice on these options?

Option 1: Mount the Skycamper directly onto my bed rack right behind the cab, and have it stick 18" past the bumper off the back end
Pro: Probably better gas mileage and less wind resistance, can probably still fit in most parking garages​
Con: Looks fugly, not sure if it's legal to stick that far past the license plate in all states without a red flag on it​

Option 2: Mount a near-flat rack that's the same general dimensions as the JT's bed (e.g. FrontRunner Outfitters SlimLine II Rooftop Rack) on top of my existing rack, with short feet that raise it up just enough that the Skycamper can now stick out 2' over the backseats of the JT.
Pro: Looks a lot better for the tent​
Con: Worse wind resistance and worse gas mileage, plus mounting 1 rack on top of another adds additional point of failure, might not fit in parking garages anymore​

Option 3: Mount a near-flat rack that's long enough to cover the entire bed of the JT AND the entire backseat of the cab (leaving the Freedom Panels still free) on top of my existing rack
Pro: Gives additional mounting points for a really long awning (8'2") to be more secure when mounted, plus it gives lots of additional side mounting points over the backseat of the cab​
Con: Lots more wind resistance with an even higher tent, overall rack would probably look pretty cludgy, definitely won't fit in parking garages anymore​
edit - spelling error
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
How many mounting points for the tent?

How about using 3" tall solid aluminum spacers with hole drilled in center for longer bolts to pass through and just use current rack?
I would say 2"-3" diameter would suffice.

Really would need to see layout of tent mounting points and the rack and distance to hardtop from farthest tent mounting point forward.

OP
OP
jsyn

jsyn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
How many mounting points for the tent?

How about using 3" tall solid aluminum spacers with hole drilled in center for longer bolts to pass through and just use current rack?
I would say 2"-3" diameter would suffice.

Really would need to see layout of tent mounting points and the rack and distance to hardtop from farthest tent mounting point forward.
Jeep Gladiator XL RTT - Extend over cab or stick out the back? JTBR_1

As long as the mounts are at least 30" apart, the Skycamp is fine, that's why I'm not worried about the rigidity of the tent if it sticks forward (or back) from the existing JCR full-height rack.

I like your idea of 3" tall solid aluminum spacers, that would have to be a ton lighter than two 1.5" unistruts stacked up, which was JCR's suggestion.

So you're voting for a version of Option 2, where the RTT is raised up and sticks farther forwards, over the cab. That's what I've been leaning towards as well, I just hadn't come up with a good solution for raising it up the needed 3". Your aluminum blocks as spacers aren't a bad idea. I might just add some cross slats instead of a whole extra rack, in the hopes that would raise me enough AND would provide mounting points for a long awning.

I worry about what that extra wind resistance will do to my mpg, but having a RTT stick 1.5' off the back of your truck IS pretty fugly

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
What did you go with? Do you have pics? I may have the same kind of issue!

Thanks! :)

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Could you use 3" body mount pucks? They come in all sorts of heights and materials to maybe blend in with your existing hardware.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jsyn

jsyn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I've been looking at FrontRunnerOutfitters and debating their 3.5" high mounts holding a pair of their slats. The slates are 20mm high by 90mm wide, with a variety of lengths. That would also pull the top of the rack far enough to the side that I could mount an awning.

End result though: for now, iKamper is so backordered that I'm still waiting on the tent. And if I had it to do over again I wouldn't purchase any JCR products. They're not as well thought out as they appeared to be and their customer service is flat out rude and snotty when you ask them a question. If you haven't bought a bed rack yet, get one that's wide enough at the top that you can mount a long awning that sticks forwards a bit off the side, and one that's high enough that a long RTT can stick out over the front cab a bit without you needing to waste time and money searching for hack solutions.

I'd just sell the rack and purchase a better-thought out one from a company who's customer service didn't feel the need to treat their customers like crap, but my wife's already starting to ask how much I'm spending on the Jeep, and swapping racks would REALLY make her question expenditures.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I've been looking at FrontRunnerOutfitters and debating their 3.5" high mounts holding a pair of their slats. The slates are 20mm high by 90mm wide, with a variety of lengths. That would also pull the top of the rack far enough to the side that I could mount an awning.

End result though: for now, iKamper is so backordered that I'm still waiting on the tent. And if I had it to do over again I wouldn't purchase any JCR products. They're not as well thought out as they appeared to be and their customer service is flat out rude and snotty when you ask them a question. If you haven't bought a bed rack yet, get one that's wide enough at the top that you can mount a long awning that sticks forwards a bit off the side, and one that's high enough that a long RTT can stick out over the front cab a bit without you needing to waste time and money searching for hack solutions.

I'd just sell the rack and purchase a better-thought out one from a company who's customer service didn't feel the need to treat their customers like crap, but my wife's already starting to ask how much I'm spending on the Jeep, and swapping racks would REALLY make her question expenditures.
Thank you for the heads up. I was loving the JCR system and planned on buying it along with a half-rack for the roof. Rack and tent were a down-the-road purchase and all I was seeing were short bed racks for sale.

What would you go with instead? My wife knows of the expenditures and I am the one trying to mellow the pace

OP
OP
jsyn

jsyn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thank you for the heads up. I was loving the JCR system and planned on buying it along with a half-rack for the roof. Rack and tent were a down-the-road purchase and all I was seeing were short bed racks for sale.

What would you go with instead? My wife knows of the expenditures and I am the one trying to mellow the pace
There are so many options, it really depends on your needs. If you intend to get a non-4-person RTT then you can probably get a half-height rack and keep the whole thing behind the cab, because it shouldn't be too long. Finding a rack that's high enough to allow a tent or ladder or canoe or sea kayak to stick forwards over the cab of the truck is surprisingly difficult. NOTE TO MANUFACTURERS -- Your racks all look awesome, but what about those of us who bought a #$% pickup truck and expected to be able to carry long items, what with it being a pickup truck? Ladder racks all have high edges and so don't support a RTT. Where's the middle ground?

I initially got the JCR because it would work with an Access soft tonneau cover. That's also a potential consideration for you. Only a few racks will actually work with tonneau covers.

You can always shim a rack higher, even though shimming it 3.5" higher is a bit dangerous and will drastically change your supported dynamic load. But width is tougher. Once you get a RTT and use it a few times you will probably find that you wish you could add an awning such as this one:
de-mount_b9b75287-985e-41a7-b986-091a1e04519c_800x.jpg

Awnings hang off the side of the top of your rack. But if the top of your rack angles in, and therefore is a much smaller profile than your truck's cab, then any awning you put on is relegated to "only next to the bed of the truck", and has to be extremely small.

Finding a rack that is tall enough to allow a long item to pass over the cab, can support a tonneau cover, and is wide enough at the top for an awning... I just don't know. I'm starting to think I should've splurged and gotten an RLD Truck cap with a Front Runner Outfitters Slimline II on top.

expfinn

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I have my Alucab tent extending over the cab. It is roughly the same closed size as the Ikamper. I am very happy having it over the cab. It even keeps the back seat cooler during the summer time. I DO NOT hear any wind noise. That surprised me but the tent cuts right through the wind. I also did not notice much MPG loss.
Jeep Gladiator XL RTT - Extend over cab or stick out the back? 89E2114F-6835-44AD-BFAB-3C14E39C139F

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
I have my Alucab tent extending over the cab. It is roughly the same closed size as the Ikamper. I am very happy having it over the cab. It even keeps the back seat cooler during the summer time. I DO NOT hear any wind noise. That surprised me but the tent cuts right through the wind. I also did not notice much MPG loss.
Jeep Gladiator XL RTT - Extend over cab or stick out the back? 89E2114F-6835-44AD-BFAB-3C14E39C139F
Awesome setup!

I totally agree about the tent placement - I have a Roofnest Eagle that I have set up to extend a little over the cab. It looks way better that way in my opinion, and I've never had an issue with it offroad.

I do not hear any wind noise with mine either, which surprised me as well. I honestly can't even tell the tent is up there, which is amazing after having it on a smaller vehicle where it was VERY noticeable.
Jeep Gladiator XL RTT - Extend over cab or stick out the back? 20200607_195302

Jeep Gladiator XL RTT - Extend over cab or stick out the back? 20200607_184943

Jeep Gladiator XL RTT - Extend over cab or stick out the back? 20200711_164509

Jeep Gladiator XL RTT - Extend over cab or stick out the back? 20200711_200548

Jeep Gladiator XL RTT - Extend over cab or stick out the back? 20200629_182339

Jeep Gladiator XL RTT - Extend over cab or stick out the back? 20200525_220322

Sponsored

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome setup!

I totally agree about the tent placement - I have a Roofnest Eagle that I have set up to extend a little over the cab. It looks way better that way in my opinion, and I've never had an issue with it offroad.

I do not hear any wind noise with mine either, which surprised me as well. I honestly can't even tell the tent is up there, which is amazing after having it on a smaller vehicle where it was VERY noticeable.

Wow! I love the look of that tent! How do you like it? I'll have to look them up.

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Wow! I love the look of that tent! How do you like it? I'll have to look them up.
We really love it! I had been wanting one for a few years and we finally got one a couple years ago or so. We have used it a ton, and it really makes car camping easier and faster since the tent just pops straight up. It also helps with storage too since bedding can all be stored up there.

I highly recommend the hardshell RTTs as I feel they provide maximum benefit over some of the fold out soft tents that require almost as much time and effort to set up as a much cheaper ground tent.

This one is the Roofnest Eagle (now called the Sparrow XL I believe), and is just slightly smaller than a queen sized mattress inside...extremely comfortable and fun to sleep in!

Only real downsides are that if you want to drive away from camp you have to take the tent with you (we often take a canopy to set up to hold the camp spot while we are gone), and if you need to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, you have to climb down the ladder :CWL:

Added bonus: with the pitch and roll sensors in the JT's Off-Road Pages, its super easy to get it level!

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
Anyone have any proven solutions for JCR Full Rack? I am running into the same problem....

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my ikamper with rack extended over the cab. I have noticed no wind drag or reduced mileage.

received_392836485006716.jpeg

OP
OP
jsyn

jsyn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Anyone have any proven solutions for JCR Full Rack? I am running into the same problem....
I think I have a solution. The rack portion is installed and I'll be testing the tent on it this week (finally!)

• FrontRunner Outfitters 1400mm Universal Track Set attached to the top of the JCR Full Rack
  • FrontRunner Outfitters Foot Set (2) 40mm-50mm
  • FrontRunner Outfitters 1425mm slats to use as load bars
I discovered that even if I WANTED to have the Skycamp attached straight to the JCR rack and just hang way off the back of the truck, the crossbars for the JCR rack are too thick to be used with Skycamp tent mounts. It turns out I need different non-JCR crossbars that are thinner, at which point I might as well raise them up a little so I can stick the tent out over the truck's cab. That's what the FrontRunner Universal Track and Support Feet do -- they raise the load bar up high enough. (I think, to be tested when the wife finishes work in a few days and can assist in lifting it onto the truck). You can contact the company directly by opening a support ticket and they'll create a custom quote of just the parts you need. They generally respond next business day.

Of course, I bought the FrontRunner Load Bars but now I'm already wondering whether I should replace them with a FrontRunner SlimLine II Rack so that I can have the support I'd need to mount an awning on the opposite side. Just Empty Every Pocket....
Sponsored