Sponsored

Y’all include the spare in your rotations?

JTSouthernYankee

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Blue Collar Balla!!
Just curious if y’all include the spare in your rotations.
Sponsored

HoustonGobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I do. Picked up a spare OEM wheel for free and added it in when I switched to 37s.

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious if y’all include the spare in your rotations.
No. The extra expense for a matching tire and wheel doesn't make sense to me. It requires additional effort to make sure the rotation is done properly, or the time and work to do it yourself. What do you get out of it? Your tires last a little longer, but you have the additional expense up front to get that extra wear. Save the money and use it to buy good tires when they need replaced.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
No. The extra expense for a matching tire and wheel doesn't make sense to me. It requires additional effort to make sure the rotation is done properly, or the time and work to do it yourself. What do you get out of it? Your tires last a little longer, but you have the additional expense up front to get that extra wear. Save the money and use it to buy good tires when they need replaced.
What do you do for a spare? That’s cool if you’re going up a size, but when you add 5” per tire that now donut isn’t going to be much good. I guess there are two possibilities depending on your new tire size.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
What do you do for a spare? That’s cool if you’re going up a size, but when you add 5” per tire. That now donut isn’t going to be much good. I guess there are two possibilities depending on your new tire size.
I have the spare that came with the truck. I'm running the tires it came with. It doesn't make sense to me to replace perfectly good tires on a new truck. I like the wheels it came with, and will see about different tires when these need replaced.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
I have the spare that came with the truck. I'm running the tires it came with. It doesn't make sense to me to replace perfectly good tires on a new truck. I like the wheels it came with, and will see about different tires when these need replaced.
Yeah, that makes sense. Agree, if I was running original tires or even size, wouldn’t see a point in changing the spare, especially since it’s a steel wheel.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I thinking about having my "spare" tire changed over to one of matching rims, to do the 5 tire rotation. I pulled the spare down a few days ago to change it. Since the spare set I have are HT and I'm running AT on it.

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
Method wheels were pricey and I am running 35's, so I have matching BFG tire on the stocker steely rim up under the bed. First 4-tire rotation will happen in 2 days. Dealer parts guy even said the under-bed hanger mechanism would likely scratch up an aftermarket wheel, and he coulda pushed to sell me a 5th rim. If I ever go 37's I may just keep the 35 spare for the fallback. The Ford Raptor BFG Ko2 315/70r17's are so cheap and good riding it will be hard to move me off of them.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Method wheels were pricey and I am running 35's, so I have matching BFG tire on the stocker steely rim up under the bed. First 4-tire rotation will happen in 2 days. Dealer parts guy even said the under-bed hanger mechanism would likely scratch up an aftermarket wheel, and he coulda pushed to sell me a 5th rim. If I ever go 37's I may just keep the 35 spare for the fallback. The Ford Raptor BFG Ko2 315/70r17's are so cheap and good riding it will be hard to move me off of them.
So when I switched from 35s to 37s you can see where the metal touches the tire and not the rim at all, so you shouldn’t have to worry about scratching the rim if you want a matching 5th. The Nitto Ridge Grappler 37 (36.7” I think) is a tight fit, but does fit. The 35 fit with no worries.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
You can’t go wrong with 5 tire rotation. It ensures you have a serviceable tire when you need it most... there is nothing gained having a 0 mile tire dry rot under the bed.
It’s a shame FCA doesn’t offer a 5th alloy as an option.
Sponsored