First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
With a lot of work from home procedures put in place, there’s a lot of newly discovered yard masters. What kind of gear and techniques are you using to tackle the green monster? What type and length chain to pull those shrubs? What about a snatch strap vs tow strap? How much mulch have you gotten in the bed?
Sponsored

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
With a lot of work from home procedures put in place, there’s a lot of newly discovered yard masters. What kind of gear and techniques are you using to tackle the green monster? What type and length chain to pull those shrubs? What about a snatch strap vs tow strap? How much mulch have you gotten in the bed?
Proper tools for all that stuff
IMG_2005 1.JPG

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I pull with a winch to avoid maring the turf. Pulling with a strap means moving briskly on grass. I love my lawn too much.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
When pulling old shrubs I use a 150' Samson Stable Braid 1/2 rope. This rope is by far my favorite tool I own. I once pulled the mail truck out of a ditch with it and my JK.

Sponsored

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
I pull with a winch to avoid maring the turf. Pulling with a strap means moving briskly on grass. I love my lawn too much.
I’ve got my 30ft tow strap that I’ll be using in the upcoming days to get rid of a lot of shrubs once 811 finishes up. I’ve been working hard on my St. Augustine (hand raked yesterday to dethatch now that the oaks have stopped dropping their leaves), so I’m hoping I can get by without too much damage. If I can’t do it, “honey, you see why we need a winch?”

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I think you need that winch regardless. Tell her I said so. I have used my winch on shrubs, but be careful on the larger ones. For some smaller shrubs in the back where I could not get the Jeep, I used the Li-Lift jack as a winch. I put a tree strap around a nearby tree and a choker chain around the shrub and pulled them right out. I even kept all my teeth, but be careful (no need for another thread about the many dangers of the Hi-Lift). Good luck.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
It depends. When I used to do it with my JKU Rubicon, I never even hit the gas. With the 6 speed manual, 4:1 tc, and 4:10 gears it had a 73:1 crawl ratio. The gearing did all the work and I never damaged any grass. I had one stubborn stump where I gave it a little bit of gas, but I locked the lockers to be extra sure and no damage was done. My overland gladiator automatic has like none of that so I’d have to be a lot more careful.

Sponsored

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
Just finished dethatching the yard by hand. No Jeep used, but 811 is taking their time on getting the yard marked for shrub pulls. First and last time I’ll be doing that without some horsepower. Up next is aerator. Soil is just a little too dry, so I’ll water today and try it again tomorrow if that goes well, fertilizer and I think I’ve finally got a decent base for now. Previous owners just didn’t keep up with it. 7.5 30 gallon yard bags and about 12 hours of back breaking work later...

9599A723-B3C8-444D-A5E0-646A54B49A60.jpeg

PapaChop83

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.revitalizeautospa.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '04 CLK 55 AMG, '21 Kia Telluride
Vehicle Showcase
Just finished dethatching the yard by hand. No Jeep used, but 811 is taking their time on getting the yard marked for shrub pulls. First and last time I’ll be doing that without some horsepower. Up next is aerator. Soil is just a little too dry, so I’ll water today and try it again tomorrow if that goes well, fertilizer and I think I’ve finally got a decent base for now. Previous owners just didn’t keep up with it. 7.5 30 gallon yard bags and about 12 hours of back breaking work later...

9599A723-B3C8-444D-A5E0-646A54B49A60.jpeg
Oof. I would've rented a dethatcher from Home Depot for that - props to ya' though!

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
Oof. I would've rented a dethatcher from Home Depot for that - props to ya' though!
No power rakes or the like that I’ve been able to find anywhere near here to rent unfortunately :(

Want to rent their aerator, but will have to rent one of their trailers since wife can’t help me lift it out of the bed and neighbors are (rightfully) cautious for distancing since I’m in healthcare.

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
That last tractor looks like it should be in a founders day parade lol. With little American flags on it. Haha.
That's an IH 1066 Turbo Diesel, That thing is one of the first super tractors it will run forever. Rebuilds are easy with sleeved cylinders and the rest of it is pretty much bombproof although the torque amplifier can be touchy.

I have an 180 acre native prairie installation here that gets a lot TLC

Last edited:

PapaChop83

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.revitalizeautospa.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '04 CLK 55 AMG, '21 Kia Telluride
Vehicle Showcase
No power rakes or the like that I’ve been able to find anywhere near here to rent unfortunately :(

Want to rent their aerator, but will have to rent one of their trailers since wife can’t help me lift it out of the bed and neighbors are (rightfully) cautious for distancing since I’m in healthcare.
Yeah my better half wouldn't be about that life either. :CWL:
Sponsored