Sponsored

You WILL buy a Gladiator and 37โ€™s after you watch this - Off Roading explained

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Except the "larger tire" change is really softer tread compound. Larger tires won't help in a situation like that. But the second set of tires are a softer rubber. If you've played wit Legos you know those first ones are practically hard plastic.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
If I can get more lift (like 10") I would just change gears and go to sticky 44's. then drag it every where I want to wheel with a New Hummer. Until then I'll play with lego's.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I can get more lift (like 10") I would just change gears and go to sticky 44's. then drag it every where I want to wheel with a New Hummer. Until then I'll play with lego's.
Unfortunately, a hummer probably has a 100 mile range while pulling a jeep. And then it will take you 2 hour to charge it again. If you are lucky.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
All in all though it's a good demonstration. Larger tires do give more ground clearance but secretly give you more mechanical advantage ie longer lever to move the truck. The basic geometry and simple machines at play are great for keeping kids thinking while you stack rocks and swear.

The double sided tape is an analog to airing the tires down... until he gets silly. I've been on a 110% grade and it's uncomfortable knowing that how you packed your gear may decided if you sleep in a bed tonight.

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Lowering center of gravity? full length steel skid plates here I come!
More mass won't do it as well as lowering your roll centers, think of it like you lifted the chassis cab and then did a drive line drop. Have a big sip of coffee and a few deep breaths before reading this next part. okay? It's a reverse mini truck chassis drop. Exhale and breath slowly.

Adding 1" plate to the belly might help, some, but you'd pay such a penalty dragging it around. The better solution is what the rock buggy rigs do, fill the beadlock 42's with antifreeze or bleach. serious liquid weight. That gets the mass off the suspension and directly to the ground.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
More mass won't do it as well as lowering your roll centers, think of it like you lifted the chassis cab and then did a drive line drop. Have a big sip of coffee and a few deep breaths before reading this next part. okay? It's a reverse mini truck chassis drop. Exhale and breath slowly.

Adding 1" plate to the belly might help, some, but you'd pay such a penalty dragging it around. The better solution is what the rock buggy rigs do, fill the beadlock 42's with antifreeze or bleach. serious liquid weight. That gets the mass off the suspension and directly to the ground.
If I knew what a reverse mini truck chassis drop was I might have needed the big sip of coveffee and a deep breath.

Yah, heavy tires are a benefit as you say. That's one of the advantages to the Falken MTs

I've been on a 110% grade
In the JT?! Nice. I think the most they're officially rated for is 40-degrees

Edit: 35-degrees incline/decline. Anyone know what it is for a JLU?

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
Except the "larger tire" change is really softer tread compound. Larger tires won't help in a situation like that. But the second set of tires are a softer rubber. If you've played wit Legos you know those first ones are practically hard plastic.
Not only a harder compound, but the tread design doesn't allow for full width contact except for maybe 10% of the time as the "teeth" alternate side to side. The contact patch is really half the width.

BTW if you want to try other LEGO tires, I might be able to accommodate. ๐Ÿค”

Jeep Gladiator You WILL buy a Gladiator and 37โ€™s after you watch this - Off Roading explained 20210430_065744
Jeep Gladiator You WILL buy a Gladiator and 37โ€™s after you watch this - Off Roading explained 20210430_065844

The bin o' tires is the big one on the floor. Yeah, I know I ain't right in the head.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur