Sponsored

Your steering is not loose. Rant warning.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
And here I thought this dress was slimming. :crying:;)
Only when wet............ where did you get that bear hair dress, anyway?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Oscar Indy

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Sorry left that out. 37's
The ko2 is a bit under sized and and the 18in rim reduces volume a little too. Most people on 37s on a 17 in rim are landing near 26 as their ideal cold pressure. You could start there and see what your chalk test produces but I'd guess closer to 27 or 28 would be what you land at.

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
The ko2 is a bit under sized and and the 18in rim reduces volume a little too. Most people on 37s on a 17 in rim are landing near 26 as their ideal cold pressure. You could start there and see what your chalk test produces but I'd guess closer to 27 or 28 would be what you land at.
Thank you. Im on a KM2 does that make any difference?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Oscar Indy

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Thank you. Im on a KM2 does that make any difference?
Shouldn't. the KM2 and Ko2 run about the same physical size. the KM3 is slightly bigger but the real question is the rim size. I have never run an 18in rim so I haven't done the chalk test on one personally. All I can say is try it and see.

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
So, I measured my toe in as explained here. Took avg of 3 measurements from same spots front and rear of front tires. My toe measurement is even I basically have no toe in. How do I adjust for toe in?

OP
OP
Oscar Indy

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
So, I measured my toe in as explained here. Took avg of 3 measurements from same spots front and rear of front tires. My toe measurement is even I basically have no toe in. How do I adjust for toe in?
tierod.png

on the tie rod you will loosen that clamp thats sticking up and then rotate the knurled piece till you have the measurement you need. It'll be easier to rotate with tires in the air but do your final check with weight on the tires.

OP
OP
Oscar Indy

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
So latest stupidity to come out of this.

Guy I helped called his dealer to find out why 31 psi worked perfect but the placard setting wandered. Dealer said no idea ( not shocked) but he shouldn't do that because it'll make his odometer read off and wear out the tire faster.

Well this idiot goes and thinks he's doing the internet a favor by warning them about this because he drove 60 miles at 37psi and his odometer read right he drove the same 60 miles at 31psi and his odometer read 67 miles.....

So 6psi made his tire 4in shorter? Right buddy good luck with that stupidity. I seriously need to stop helping idiots.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport

Guy I helped called his dealer to find out why 31 psi worked perfect but the placard setting wandered. Dealer said no idea ( not shocked) but he shouldn't do that because it'll make his odometer read off and wear out the tire faster.

Well this idiot goes and thinks he's doing the internet a favor by warning them about this because he drove 60 miles at 37psi and his odometer read right he drove the same 60 miles at 31psi and his odometer read 67 miles.....

So 6psi made his tire 4in shorter? Right buddy good luck with that stupidity. I seriously need to stop helping idiots.
well maybe just help those who need it.. if others dont follow or benefit from your suggestions then simply let that go

Sponsored

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)

Hey, you never know :CWL:
kXVCROI.png

NateSamJT20

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR LE - 18 FORD EXPEDITION MAX
I haven't been proven wrong yet.
Show me a chalk test, 1/8th toe in,(using a tape measure not an alignment machine), and caster set between 6 and 7 deg on the driver side and if it's still loose I'll concede.

Lots of complaints but no one else is attempting to help fix this shit.

I thought it was just tire pressure?! Now all the sudden I have to change my caster and toe and then lower tire pressure for it to be right? Hmmm

Pizziola29

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_20191208_155347_858.jpg

I need to get something off my chest so
I'm gonna rant here a little bit. I've helped hundreds of people fix this issue of flighty steering over several generations of Jeeps. So be warned. <Rant on >

I spent way to much time trying to explain a simple concept to a guy today.

Guy is claiming he's gonna sue Jeep because his Jeep on 37s wanders to much. After LOTS of back and forth and some choice insults it turns out he's doing exactly what I told him he was doing and wouldn't accept he was wrong.

He was running 35 psi in a 37x13.5r17. the factory tire pressure on the door is 36. Well no shit it drives like crap. You are riding on rails. The concept is simple it's not the pressure you need to support the weight it's the volume of air.

Simple way of putting it you need the same amount of air on a 33 as you do on a 37. Logically if you put the same amount of air in the two sizes of tire the bigger one is going to be a lower psi. So by putting the same pressure in a 37 you have dramatically over inflated the 37.

He tried to tell me that I was wrong and that air pressure is a bandaid fix and that my tires won't last 10k being " under inflated."

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make an idiot understand simple logic. Good luck with that lawsuit buddy. Maybe stick to bro trucks.

What really chaps my ass is this guy has thousands of subscribers on YouTube and is either a moron or trying to cash in on sensationalism making a big deal out of his own mistakes. My money is on both.

So if you are reading this thinking your steering is a bit loose on over sized tires try deflating them a bit. I am sitting at 26 psi cold to keep me under 30 hot. At 30 it starts to wander. This is on 37x12.5 r17
Check out this video that actually shows the steering box move upon input. I think there is truth in both theories. Overinflated and loose steering back.

OP
OP
Oscar Indy

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Why the fuck do people keep trying to get me to watch Eddie oh douche nozzles videos. I won't deal with anything that douche bag promotes and he won't make a nickel of add revenue off me. Part of being a long time jeeper is knowing what a massive tit that idiot is and I'm pretty sure there is still a bounty on his rat tail. I remember the horrible things he's done to Jeepers.
Sponsored