First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
DoD
I know there are a couple threads on here, wanted to try and get some feedback since I’m actually having issues.
To start off, June22, I had my 21 JT ecodiesel die in an intersection off the highway(21k miles). Checked the codes and popped P01c4 and P2635. Had it towed to the dealership where they had it for roughly a month and changed out filter housing, filter, pump and wire harness. Two weeks ago, noticed that the fuel pump making an audible sound with engine running, followed by check engine light (P2635). Had a 1/4 tank of fuel, filled up, cleared code and all was well. Today (33k miles) noise came back along with engine light (both P01c4 and P2635). Ran to the dealership and the tech said they couldn’t touch it since there are no parts for the recall. I even asked if they could change the pump with another one on hand to hold me over and he said they couldn’t do that unless I paid out of pocket, even though I’m under warranty and I’ve purchased the extended stuff. Said my best bet was to call the 18003349200 for the FCA recall line. As a previous aircraft mechanic I know this doesn’t reflect on the dealership at all and they are following their SOPs. This is my sticking point, however, and need help working though the logic. I called the recall line and gave the lady my info and provided my situation(past and present) and she asked if the vehicle was running, for which I answered yes, and she said there was nothing she could do until the vehicle was not running. The recall states (in bold): Fuel starvation may result in an unexpected loss of motive power, which can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning. So with that, I’m calling with the symptoms (which has already been experienced on my Jeep) and not getting any help. After that call, it makes it seem like they would rather have the potential accident vs trying to be proactive in vehicle maintenance until a fix has been identified. Has anyone else experienced the fuel pump issue and fixed it themselves, or is anyone else in the same spot? Just trying to pick some likeminded brains and figure out next course of action. Greatly appreciate any feedback.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I'm guessing replacement parts are not yet available. In the meantime, the stock of existing parts is only being used to attempt repairs on vehicles that stop working.

Did they advise you to stop driving it until the recall work can be done? If so, that relieves them from liability in the event of a fuel starvation accident. The recall notice probably contained a similar statement.

Gladbrennan

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
I'm guessing replacement parts are not yet available. In the meantime, the stock of existing parts is only being used to attempt repairs on vehicles that stop working.

Did they advise you to stop driving it until the recall work can be done? If so, that relieves them from liability in the event of a fuel starvation accident. The recall notice probably contained a similar statement.
Did you read the recall? If not dont just speculate on what was in the document. Wait, why didnt you get one?

OP
OP

Leonmayhem

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
DoD
https://www.chrysler.com/universal/webselfservice/pdf/Z96.pdf

And to answer your question Mr.Bill, no they did not tell me to stop driving. I even brought that up during my call saying something along the lines of: so I’m calling with a known issue and previous fuel system issue in my vehicle and you’re telling me you can’t do anything until the vehicle is not drivable. Which in the meantime, could cause an accident like the recall even states and the reply was yes, that’s the unfortunate position we are in without parts available. In my previous life, the entire fleet would be grounded if there was a known issue that could cause a mishap. I understand the differences between aviation and general transportation and I’ve seen some of the threads where people are stating xx miles and no issues, but there should be something they could do for the people experiencing a potential fuel system failure. Not necessarily throw parts at it but the fact that the dealership wouldn’t even look at it to tell me that’s what it is vs I’m dumb and did something stupid like put bad fuel in it kind of baffles me.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The recall notice is the safety warning, leaving the decision up to you. Since the failure is only a possibility, not a definite reality, there is nothing for them to do until the pump manufacturer provides a remedy.

Sponsored

Gladbrennan

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
The recall notice is the safety warning, leaving the decision up to you. Since the failure is only a possibility, not a definite reality, there is nothing for them to do until the pump manufacturer provides a remedy.
The recall notice is a recall notice.

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker
Is the notice that I got today just an automated notice or do they actually have parts now? I tried calling the dealer, but had to leave a message.

Jeep Gladiator Z96/NHTSA 22V-767 Fuel Pump 1683730584760

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
So glad I opted out of the diesel option

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
After that call, it makes it seem like they would rather have the potential accident vs trying to be proactive in vehicle maintenance until a fix has been identified
Exactly that. As far as they're concerned it's running and operating. They won't fix it until it's broken. Replacing parts as "maintenance" is only going to cost them more money. Keep driving it and use fuel additive. The revised part will be available soon. Unfortunately, you were just one of the unlucky 4% that had issues. Lucky for us our Gladiators don't fly 30,000 ft in the sky so it's not exactly life or death.

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker
My service writer called me back and said he is expecting parts to be announced any day now based on what he is seeing.

Hurry up and wait until then...

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ok, tell us how your lifters are.....

see how helpful my replies are? I model them off yours.
Never had lifter issues in any of my LS motors.....

Cool story, can you tell it again

ATX_Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD
Occupation
IT
Is the notice that I got today just an automated notice or do they actually have parts now? I tried calling the dealer, but had to leave a message.

Jeep Gladiator Z96/NHTSA 22V-767 Fuel Pump 1683730584760
I see the option to schedule on the Mopar website but it still says parts are not available.
Jeep Gladiator Z96/NHTSA 22V-767 Fuel Pump jeep recall.PNG
Sponsored