zero maintenance supercharger?

Griepp06

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru Outback, 1996 Chevy Silverado
anyone had a super charger or even a turbo on their 3.6 with more than 12,000 miles and had absolutely no issues? ive heard way too many stories of the 3.6 grenading because they do not like boost. which kit has been dependable for you and they warranty their product if they cause my 3.6 to blow. or on the opposite side of the spectrum who would you say avoid at all cost?
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I started a thread a few months ago asking if anyone had experienced a true "turn-key" install and use. I got nobody.

Everybody had to fiddle with some piece of hardware or go to a custom tune to address a drivability issue with the tunes that come with the SC kits.

Of course if you have a custom tune the powertrain warranty that comes with some kits goes out the window.

So at this point, there isn't anything with factory levels of reliability and refinement out there.

I remember that Beechmont created quite a stir a few years ago when they started selling new Mustang GTs with Roush Stage2 supercharger kits in them. Unfortunately there aren't any jeep suppliers at the point where Roush is with Mustangs.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33025114/750-hp-ford-mustang-roush-supercharged-for-sale/

vmiaptetr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator, 20 Expy Max, 96 Viper GTS
You're in a bit of a conundrum. There are members of this forum with the Magnuson Supercharger with 25K+ issue-free miles, but they are NOT using the manufacturer's tune. Thus, you likely lose the manufacturer's warranty.

I've had my supercharger installed for about 2 weeks now, with zero issue. But that's because I can't load a damn tune because my ECM isn't supported yet. :CWL:

Last edited:

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I have 27K on my Supercharger, I installed it at 1400 miles. My latest available tune is pretty refined and close to an OEM tune. There is a fair number of Jeep operating systems out there, so I have had to work with customers who have had Jeeps where the transmission speed or throttle model works a little different, but nothing I have not been able to resolve without a bit of data.

My truck is a daily drive and I work it hard quite a bit

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have 27K on my Supercharger, I installed it at 1400 miles. My latest available tune is pretty refined and close to an OEM tune. There is a fair number of Jeep operating systems out there, so I have had to work with customers who have had Jeeps where the transmission speed or throttle model works a little different, but nothing I have not been able to resolve without a bit of data.

Your tunes seem to be the closest there is in the wild to turn key. I wonder what it would take to get Magnusson support your tunes with their warranty. Ha.

One question.

When you talk about the variability among models. Does this impact refinement and drivability more or ultimate performance.

Or said another way. If you were willing to give up 5% torque across the RPM band, could you produce a "shrink wrapped" tune?

Or are the variations impacting drivability?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Griepp06

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

which supercharger did you go with? also from the few horror stories i have heard from people here, facebook and then both lite brite and exodus 4x4 on youtube had blown engines. did you just crack the code that all these people didn't or were they using bad hardware?

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The issue is with driveability. An example I have seen quite a bit. I have programmed a complete new shift schedule for the transmission to use the new lug curve appropriately. The shift schedule is based off transmission ouput speed. In most of the jeeps my tune is used in. When you set the gear and tire it keeps the transmission output speed the same, but in some, chaging the gear and tire makes the speedometer correct but the trans output speed is not normalized, so the shift points are in the wrong spot and spme of the higher geared trucks bounce off the output shaft speed limits I have in place, to save the transmission.

Another one I started seeing with 2021 models, is aircharge vs throttle opening. There is a table that tells the ecm, this is what the airchage should be when this throttle voltage is present. In 2021 they quit ising that table for a couple things and instead started using a VE calc. This is fine on other tunes that are not remapping the pressure ratio. But I remap the pressure ratio so the engine control knows how to deal with positive manifold pressure. I was able to make a fix across the board for that one.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
which supercharger did you go with? also from the few horror stories i have heard from people here, facebook and then both lite brite and exodus 4x4 on youtube had blown engines. did you just crack the code that all these people didn't or were they using bad hardware?
In my opinion it was just a misunderstanding of how the complete system works. The engine and transmission work off load based models that predict the air fuel and timing needed. People changed the air fuel and timing because thats what they understood, the problem is without linking these to the models you have no idea what parameters are getting, chosen during any given operating condition, and to boot the adaptives really have no idea which way to adjust so they just keep ratcheting until bad things happen. I started with adapting the models, and then fit fuel, air, and spark to where the models where digging from. To boot I went to the dyno a number of times to map cam timing and keep cylinder pressures down while making the most power through the rpm range.

OP
OP

Griepp06

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my opinion it was just a misunderstanding of how the complete system works. The engine and transmission work off load based models that predict the air fuel and timing needed. People changed the air fuel and timing because thats what they understood, the problem is without linking these to the models you have no idea what parameters are getting, chosen during any given operating condition, and to boot the adaptives really have no idea which way to adjust so they just keep ratcheting until bad things happen. I started with adapting the models, and then fit fuel, air, and spark to where the models where digging from. To boot I went to the dyno a number of times to map cam timing and keep cylinder pressures down while making the most power through the rpm range.
so which supercharger kit did you end up with on your 3.6?

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so which supercharger kit did you end up with on your 3.6?
I purchased the Magnuson as I have used their stuff in the past, and figured it would be plug and play. Even told the wife I would not mess with it, promise. After a month of my family looking like bobbleheads, she gave me the ok to mess with it lol. I don't blame Magnuson or Petty, there is just a fair bit to understand when doing this. In hindsight I imagine, they should have put an electric bypass on and then they could leverage the boosted operating system that already exists in the ecm. That would be killer

0807210937.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Griepp06

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I purchased the Magnuson as I have used their stuff in the past, and figured it would be plug and play. Even told the wife I would not mess with it, promise. After a month of my family looking like bobbleheads, she gave me the ok to mess with it lol. I don't blame Magnuson or Petty, there is just a fair bit to understand when doing this. In hindsight I imagine, they should have put an electric bypass on and then they could leverage the boosted operating system that already exists in the ecm. That would be killer

Jeep Gladiator zero maintenance supercharger? 0807210937
after reading a few other threads your name gets mentioned a bit cause of your tuning ability. once you had figure out the appropriate tune how much MPG did you lose over stock if you are driving the same way and not mashing on the gas?

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator rubicon and 2018 Rubicon JL
Your not gonna be able to add a supercharger and not have to tune it …..and u not gonna be able to tune until u unlock the PCM. Also there are variables like elevation of where u live etc … turn-key does not exist in this space unfortunately

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
after reading a few other threads your name gets mentioned a bit cause of your tuning ability. once you had figure out the appropriate tune how much MPG did you lose over stock if you are driving the same way and not mashing on the gas?
I get 14 in the winter, and 16-17 in the summer. I had tunes go as high as 19-21 but the power was abysmal. I run 10-11 psi now

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator rubicon and 2018 Rubicon JL
You're in a bit of a conundrum. There are members of this forum with the Magnuson Supercharger with 25K+ issue-free miles, but they are NOT using the manufacturer's tune. Thus, you likely lose the manufacturer's warranty.

I've had my supercharger installed for about 2 weeks now, with zero issue. But that's because I can't load a damn tune because my ECM isn't supported yet. :CWL:
are u seriously running without a tune ? Thats def a recipe for disaster and quite frankly surprised u are not pulling CELs all over the place . Or is that thing sitting parked ? good luck for sure

OP
OP

Griepp06

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your not gonna be able to add a supercharger and not have to tune it …..and u not gonna be able to tune until u unlock the PCM. Also there are variables like elevation of where u live etc … turn-key does not exist in this space unfortunately
i didn't mean plug in and zero maintenance ever. i more meant do the install have a tune done with a dyno pull and then you got to drive it 12,000 or more with no issues or blown engines. ive heard of people running to the tuner every week for months only to end up with a blown engine.
Sponsored