Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, without tearing it down - seems to be a rod issue, bearings are shredded and floating in the oil as well
Rod and main bearing problems are rare with these.

So in chatting with other owners the 3.6 seems to have these issues and Jeep knows its going on but they continue to produce the same engine with the same problems and sell it day after day.
You say Jeep knows what's going on but suggest it's a rod issue. There's no history of that.

Lile Dave said - you can almost bet it's a cam and rocker issue. Best to not lump all engine problems together in the same bucket.

Someone who knows what they are doing needs to listen to it. Rods and valves sound very different and make sounds under different circumstances.

There's dozens of threads even here about the cams -that is a known thing. Most Jeep people know about it and Jeep has to know about it with all of the cams they've replaced under warranty. They can't not see those numbers.
(I also sort of wonder if they don't have an issue with oil and oiling, seeing what may be going on with the VVL system)
Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 11 350GLK
Occupation
Business owner
Rod and main bearing problems are rare with these.

You say Jeep knows what's going on but suggest it's a rod issue. There's no history of that.

Lile Dave said - you can almost bet it's a cam and rocker issue. Best to not lump all engine problems together in the same bucket.

Someone who knows what they are doing needs to listen to it. Rods and valves sound very different and make sounds underThere's dozens of threads even here about the cams -that is a known thing. Most Jeep people know about it and Jeep has to know about it with all of the cams they've replaced under warranty. They can't not see those numbers.
(I also sort of wonder if they don't have an issue with oil and oiling, seeing what may be going on with the VVL system)
Your correct on everything as far as I'm concerned...

Service techs thought it was from the lower part of the engine at the time.....( no oil - rod thumping loads). It is the a cam issue for sure. Something was/is plugged up, not allowing oil thru the system ....thinking its full of metal and gunk.

Bottom line - Jeep won't cover, period.

OP
OP
First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 11 350GLK
Occupation
Business owner
Your correct on everything as far as I'm concerned...

Service techs thought it was from the lower part of the engine at the time.....( no oil - rod thumping loads). It is the a cam issue for sure. Something was/is plugged up, not allowing oil thru the system ....thinking its full of metal and gunk.

Bottom line - Jeep won't cover, period.

At this point I'm going to run it , then pull it and replace with a hemi I'm thinking when she doesn't roll anymore. Seems to me it'll just be the same issue if I replace parts, there all junk, I laughed when I saw the cheap lifters that were being replaced in another they were doing other day.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I have the 8 yr/125K maxcare warranty. My last car I got lucky and the 4K repair happened 1 week before the standar 3/36 factory warranty ended. This time I wanted to add on the extra 5 years and the extra miles. Rolling the dice with $2K.
Sponsored