First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 11 350GLK
Occupation
Business owner
I bought my 2020 Gladiator a year ago used, it had 31k on it - I was bound and determined to finally have one in my drive way....I love these trucks so much that back in 2017 I purchased a nice low mile Wrangler, took the winter off and did a truck conversion on it. turned out awesome!

But currently I find myself wondering where Im at in the whole Jeep truck experience?

Driving Home from work last week (in 25-40 mph head winds w/a cargo trailer) I stopped to get gas and listen to what I thought was lifter noise - I'd just had the oil changed a few days before and thought maybe it was low or something .... By the time I'd pulled in the drive way an hour or so later, it was worse. Next day I took it down to some buddies of mine that own a service station and we all listened to it - "we all thought It was going to blow a rod" - it was loud and all agreed the engine was history. Everyone Ive spoken to has said,"call jeep!" So in chatting with other owners the 3.6 seems to have these issues and Jeep knows its going on but they continue to produce the same engine with the same problems and sell it day after day. So anyway, today I received a call back....Here's what I was told....."In reviewing your problem, we've decided YOU should have the dealership tear it down, look at it and WE'LL decide at that point if we'll pay to fix it 4000 miles out of warranty." I really wasn't expecting anything from the dealer or Jeep, Ive purchased 2 cars in 30 years from this dealership purely because I was in love with the vehicle's only, knew fully the service would be terrible and i also knew jeep would not have anything to do with it as well.

Im coming to you all today simply because I want you to be aware of the problem and that its real and there's a history of it. Would love to here from anyone on this, their experiences and just general thoughts
Sponsored

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Man, that blows! I’m sorry:/. Mine only has 14K on it. Having said that rubitrux always has a few low mileage motors they’ve taken out for Hemi transplants. I think they are $2500 or so. You could get one of those, have it put in and sell the truck, or you could say screw it and put a V8 in it. You could also try another dealer!

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
What is 'the problem'?

Have you gotten it diagnosed?

OP
OP
First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 11 350GLK
Occupation
Business owner
Man, that blows! I’m sorry:/. Mine only has 14K on it. Having said that rubitrux always has a few low mileage motors they’ve taken out for Hemi transplants. I think they are $2500 or so. You could get one of those, have it put in and sell the truck, or you could say screw it and put a V8 in it. You could also try another dealer!
Ive already talked with them, we're just waiting jeeps reply ...thx

OP
OP
First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 11 350GLK
Occupation
Business owner
What is 'the problem'?

Have you gotten it diagnosed?
Yes, without tearing it down - seems to be a rod issue, bearings are shredded and floating in the oil as well

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Is there a documented maintenance history from the prior owner in the dealer system?

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I would check the cams. They are going flat at a rapid rate in the new VVL motors. They make a ton of racket, and leave trash in the oil. It is about 260 dollars in parts to fix. Mostly see the passenger intake cam die, but I have seen a few drivers side.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I would check the cams. They are going flat at a rapid rate in the new VVL motors. They make a ton of racket, and leave trash in the oil. It is about 260 dollars in parts to fix. Mostly see the passenger intake cam die, but I have seen a few drivers side.
Note the truck will run pretty decent at low rpm as it is running on the low lift cam portion, that usually is not destroyed.

OP
OP
First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 11 350GLK
Occupation
Business owner
Is there a documented maintenance history from the prior owner in the dealer system?
Yes, I have everything for it @ 3k intervals....

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 11 350GLK
Occupation
Business owner
Nothing was said about the guy before me, although I questioned why it wasn't being sold as "certified" from the dealer when I bought ...no one seems to be able to know

OP
OP
First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 11 350GLK
Occupation
Business owner
I will, thx

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Nothing was said about the guy before me, although I questioned why it wasn't being sold as "certified" from the dealer when I bought ...no one seems to be able to know
CPO is effectively just an inspection with higher tolerances for replacement than the dealer might have otherwise for resale, and a warranty. The warranty isn't free. I've noticed a recent trend of dealers not CPOing their vehicles, but adding it on for an extra fee. The problem becomes "if CPO eligibility is decided after the fact, was the service prep for resale done to CPO or bare minimum standards?" My personal experience is bare minimum. Bought a CPO K900 and it had less than a 1/3 of its brakes left. Complained to KIA and they replaced them. It was very obvious my selling dealer did not to a CPO quality inspection (VERY obvious, had a lot more issues than the brakes. KIA ended up giving me free tires and a bunch of other shit)

So your question "why wasn't it CPO?" The answer is you didn't ask them to CPO it. And no one at the dealership wants to tell a guy in distress that he had any part in his own misfortunes.

I'm sorry for what you're going through, but unless you can demonstrate the failure to a common and overlooked complaint, Jeep is gonna turn you away. I didn't read every comment in this thread, but with the pentastar that pretty much leaves lifters as the only source of complaint you could hope to get Jeep to perform a goodwill repair.

OP
OP
First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 11 350GLK
Occupation
Business owner
CPO is effectively just an inspection with higher tolerances for replacement than the dealer might have otherwise for resale, and a warranty. The warranty isn't free. I've noticed a recent trend of dealers not CPOing their vehicles, but adding it on for an extra fee. The problem becomes "if CPO eligibility is decided after the fact, was the service prep for resale done to CPO or bare minimum standards?" My personal experience is bare minimum. Bought a CPO K900 and it had less than a 1/3 of its brakes left. Complained to KIA and they replaced them. It was very obvious my selling dealer did not to a CPO quality inspection (VERY obvious, had a lot more issues than the brakes. KIA ended up giving me free tires and a bunch of other shit)

So your question "why wasn't it CPO?" The answer is you didn't ask them to CPO it. And no one at the dealership wants to tell a guy in distress that he had any part in his own misfortunes.

I'm sorry for what you're going through, but unless you can demonstrate the failure to a common and overlooked complaint, Jeep is gonna turn you away. I didn't read every comment in this thread, but with the pentastar that pretty much leaves lifters as the only source of complaint you could hope to get Jeep to perform a goodwill repair.
And as I said, "I wasn't looking for anything," I suspect that this will be caught by many others in the future from threads such as this - I hope for the best for all that experience these problems. Certainly isn't something with 60K you look forward to

OP
OP
First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 11 350GLK
Occupation
Business owner
you were right on the mark!
Sponsored