First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP Grand Cherokee, 2020 JEEP Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
On my wifes’ Grand Cherokee (2018) we hade il/rotations every 6 months and dealership did overall inspectio each visit
Will do the same with JT but my question is after the Wave program expired the maintence minder shows 63% oil life after one year onnthe GC and a total of 11,000 miles since purchase in 9/2017 so that is less than 3000 miles per year. Also bought the lifetime warranty From FCA directly, so do I have to change her oil every year or wait to do so until prompted to maintain warranty?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
On my wifes’ Grand Cherokee (2018) we hade il/rotations every 6 months and dealership did overall inspectio each visit
Will do the same with JT but my question is after the Wave program expired the maintence minder shows 63% oil life after one year onnthe GC and a total of 11,000 miles since purchase in 9/2017 so that is less than 3000 miles per year. Also bought the lifetime warranty From FCA directly, so do I have to change her oil every year or wait to do so until prompted to maintain warranty?
Absolutely use TIME as well as miles. A year is a long time for oil to resist the acids and sludge built-up. If yo don't drive many miles that's not easy on oil so get it changed and ignore the percentage of life.
I have a couple of oil pans from engines that sat a lot - and the acids and moisture in the oil eventually rotted holes into the pans.
Technically a short drive is any drive that is less than about 20-30 minutes AFTER the engine reaches operating temperature. It takes that long to "boil" the moisture out of the oil and crankcase. So if it's used for shorter than 30 minute drives, that's not good either and oil should be changed at least once a year regardless of miles.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Absolutely use TIME as well as miles. A year is a long time for oil to resist the acids and sludge built-up. If yo don't drive many miles that's not easy on oil so get it changed and ignore the percentage of life.
I have a couple of oil pans from engines that sat a lot - and the acids and moisture in the oil eventually rotted holes into the pans.
Technically a short drive is any drive that is less than about 20-30 minutes AFTER the engine reaches operating temperature. It takes that long to "boil" the moisture out of the oil and crankcase. So if it's used for shorter than 30 minute drives, that's not good either and oil should be changed at least once a year regardless of miles.
So my JT does 12 minute drives and 1-2.5 hour towing trips. Guessing thats probably a really bad combo for oil life?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So my JT does 12 minute drives and 1-2.5 hour towing trips. Guessing thats probably a really bad combo for oil life?
I'd never go very long with that combo - 12 minutes just warms it up, doesn't get the moisture out. And towing adds to the pressure and heat on the oil.
Yeah, I might keep to a 3500-5,000 mile interval with that, certainly not over 5,000 and at least once a year.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
They don't limit time or mileage between oil changes. 2020 owners receive four oil changes and tire rotations to use over a two year period. 2021 owners receive three changes over a three year period. My dealer, in addition to the Jeep Wave changes, offers two free oil changes and tire rotations with all new vehicle purchases.

Where is this stated about 2020 owners? I recently got a 2020 that was built last month, but the dealer told me nothing of jeep wave or any free maintenance or anything such as this.

Sponsored

HWayne

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP Grand Cherokee, 2020 JEEP Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Where is this stated about 2020 owners? I recently got a 2020 that was built last month, but the dealer told me nothing of jeep wave or any free maintenance or anything such as this.
I called jeep wave about the two years of free oil changes and tire rotations and she checked the computer system and 4 free but they expire after two years so every 6 months is the ticket and the dealership will honor the benefit of the wave program. Like you the saleman never mentioned it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You will get a packet in the mail. It's automatic when you buy a Jeep qualifying vehicle (*which may be all of them now, this I do not know but do know Grand Cherokee and Gladiator and Wrangler are included)
The packet could be delayed because of covid-19 staffing issues, but I got mine in about 5 or 6 weeks. Nothing to sign up for, it's automatic. Dealers should tell you as it's an incentive! Those guys really don't know how to properly sell vehicle, I swear. My dealer did mention it, although I already had at least knowledge that it existed. I asked here about the details, and was told by friendly forum members about getting the packet in the mail.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
You will get a packet in the mail. It's automatic when you buy a Jeep qualifying vehicle (*which may be all of them now, this I do not know but do know Grand Cherokee and Gladiator and Wrangler are included)
The packet could be delayed because of covid-19 staffing issues, but I got mine in about 5 or 6 weeks. Nothing to sign up for, it's automatic. Dealers should tell you as it's an incentive! Those guys really don't know how to properly sell vehicle, I swear. My dealer did mention it, although I already had at least knowledge that it existed. I asked here about the details, and was told by friendly forum members about getting the packet in the mail.
Thanks for this!! I am just now entering week 2 on my ownership, so I may still have a couple of weeks before I see anything.

wyodirt

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Secret stuff in secret locations
neat, I wonder if they'll start shaving benefits off this one after 8 months as well.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
neat, I wonder if they'll start shaving benefits off this one after 8 months as well.
What do you mean shaving benefits? The Jeep wave ONCE IN FORCE won't be shaved. Modified for FUTURE buyers, perhaps. But once you buy and have your 3 changes/rotations in 3 years, it won't be shaved.
Frankly, it's interesting that they can even do this at all since they have to pay dealerships to perform the service, so in a very real way, it's like a rebate. This is a way of lowering price, or giving incentives that can easily be modified or removed.

It's marketing - like those rebates are. Microsoft did an in-depth studies years ago showing that as far as sending in for rebates, only about 10-15% ever do, but, the fact they even offered increased sales.
I suspect that FCA has done similar studies - offer a perk, most will not take advantage, but drive sales during a normal slump time, and it's easily removed or modified later - not like changing prices which are harder to do. Lowering the prices then increasing them again - turns off buyers, but offering temporary incentives that can come and go or be modified, it works. Marketing psychology 101.

So I guess, yeah, I just said look for it to change in the near future. No rebates or incentives are ever permanent. I bet in 1 year to 18 months, this will indeed change. But for those who have already bought, it's locked in.

Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
Really wish they would let 2020 owners convert over to this as well. Similar to how insurance companies gave out refunds during the lockdowns. Guessing there are a lot of us out there that are not on track to use more than two in two years. I just hit 3k miles today after 10 months. Driving one day a week for so many months really has kept the mileage down on this thing.
I have 27,000 on mine in 13 1/2 months

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
I have 27,000 on mine in 13 1/2 months
Holy crap. I think across all my cars I am at 13k miles for the year. After all those miles you still liking the JT?

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Damn, should have bought a 2021 instead of one of the last 20s lol
I found out if you’re buying one of the last 2020s you get the 3 years anyway

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
Holy crap. I think across all my cars I am at 13k miles for the year. After all those miles you still liking the JT?
Yes, still gotta take it in for the transmission recall and gonna get them to do the steering TSB, but I’m a Jeep guy. This is my 5th and was waiting for the JT since 2015

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Yes, still gotta take it in for the transmission recall and gonna get them to do the steering TSB, but I’m a Jeep guy. This is my 5th and was waiting for the JT since 2015
I think TSB will make me feel a lot more comfortable in the JT. Its my first truck, first rear wheel drive, first 4 wheel drive, first jeep. I just assumed the crappy steering was the way it is. It wasn't until the TSB came out and I drove my Dad's JK that I realized this thing is jacked up and why I hated it on the highway. Thing is amazing around town still though.
Sponsored